Juniata Flows

lprudente

lprudente

Good morning all,

Looking to float the Big J on Sunday. Of course the watershed has seen a bit of rain this week and the gauge at Newport has jumped but is still below the median. Just wanted to ask if any of the fine folks here who live in the area could give me a some info on the color? We don't mind off color, but muddy is no bueno. We will be looking a 2 hr drive each way so any help would be most appreciated. Thanks all.

I doubt it would be muddy, with the possible exception of some trib mouths where a heavy pop-up storm may have recently passed.

But I have not had eyes on the river so will defer to folks who have.

The Juniata is a lot muddier than I would have figured it would be. It isn't up, necessarily, but definitely more stained than I like it for fishing.

It must have rained a fair amount and pretty hard up river.

BradFromPotter wrote:
It might be from the rain Altoona got. They received 5" of rain in 24 hrs. Do you think that's the reason for the muddy water?

Almost certainly.

Thanks guys really appreciate your help. Might be time for Plan B.

It's chocolate milk and ripping in Huntingdon today. Went to the park on 4th street at lunch time today from work.

Thanks bdfish- most appreciated. We ended up floating the Skuke above Reading (also muddy). I got 2 smalljaws, one of which was a nice 15" fish that inhaled a large popper. Plenty of panfish and small SMB's on the edges where the clarity was slightly better.

After last night, the Juniata is now very high and very muddy. We got some rather intense storms rolling through last night that dumped a lot of water in a hurry.

Yep I could imagine- hoping to float it later this sumer. Thanks jifigz.

Back