It's that time of year again

JackM

JackM

Staff member
The pan fish are coming into the shallows to feed and get ready for the spawn. Went to Cross Creek Lake and caught dozens of bluegill, as well as one crappie all on surface flies. Below is one of the 'gills. Share your bluegill/pumpkinseed/yellowear pictures on this thread.

Jack,
Great to see a sunfish fan on this board. While we all love trout fishing, in recent years I spent more time, especially during summer, chasing redbreasts and rockies on local creeks. Great fun.

I love to get out for sunfish.Went last night in the rain and lost count of how many I caught (had to be at least 2-3 dozen in 2 hours).Mostly with small poppers and a #14 beatle .Just love the nonstop action .

Had a blast memorial day with the kids....caught a bunch of nice gills on poppers while using my favorite 3 wt outfit..........caught a few bass too!!! But I was there strictly for the gills........

my kids with their gills!!!

So did Zoe and Vin hook those or just reel them in? Either way, pass it down. I have yet to keep any for the frying pan, but one of these days, I'm bringing home a bucket full.

jack,

with the fly rod I hook em' and let the kids bring em' in......they love to attempt to fly cast....and do so while holding a spinning rod, but it was a family picnic with many on lookers.....I think they would have hooked much much more than the gills!!!

Now, Vinny and his spiderman rod are a different story....we fished with that in the afternoon, he is only 2 and a half and gets really cranky if I handle the rod......

Zoe is pretty OK with the fly rod and much better with the spincast.....they both love rocking the rod back and forth.......

ps...those buggers are really tasty!!! I too have not put any in the fryer this year.............

pss....I actually bought Zoe's first fly rod, Wright & Mcgill Fly girl 7 foot 3 wt w/ matching reliance reel......have not given it to her yet......with my shoulder problems over the past year, I have not had the time or motion to sit and teach.....thinking next summer I will give it to her.........she will be 4.5 and it should be lots of fun!!!

Back