ISO Drift Boat

Attachments

• Hyde3.jpg
    Hyde3.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 16
The boat in that link is a BoulderBoatWorks boat. From what I can tell, it's similar to boats they're making today. I found the HDPE layup interesting. It's essentially the same material that is used for whitewater kayaks. It has the disadvantage of not being as stiff as fiberglass but it's very durable

The boat in that link is a BoulderBoatWorks boat. From what I can tell, it's similar to boats they're making today. I found the HDPE layup interesting. It's essentially the same material that is used for whitewater kayaks. It has the disadvantage of not being as stiff as fiberglass but it's very durable
High profile, rowers seat, not the best design for Eastern rivers.

Question to all Forum members who own a drift boat or any craft worth $1000 or more. Do you insure your boat?

I've been insuring mine for years but am thinking of dropping the policy. I've never insured my jet powered bass boat and it is worth about the same as the Hyde.

I requested info about that one in Ithaca about a year ago and never heard back from them. I'm also from Ithaca and own a house in the Catskills (on the east branch) and have been ISO a drift boat as well.

Small world. I'm from niagara falls and have a place on the east branch. Sorry, I don't know of any other boats for sale.

Question to all Forum members who own a drift boat or any craft worth $1000 or more. Do you insure your boat?

I've been insuring mine for years but am thinking of dropping the policy. I've never insured my jet powered bass boat and it is worth about the same as the Hyde.
No

Don't insure my boat, but mine is modular (vinyl pontoons, aluminum frame, oars, etc...

Well, I guess this explains why I can't find one either. Shane, Andy, anyone that sees one around please let me know. I will go with a high or low side at this point.

Shane, Tilt has one he is getting rid of. It doesn't have a title, so you can't put a motor on it if you were leaning toward that like I am for fishing the Susquehanna.

I no longer own drift boats but I didn’t separately insure them when I did own drift boats. However, my homeowner’s insurance policy with State Farm provides (I think) something like up to $1,000 coverage on a ‘watercraft” category. I believe that most other homeowner’s insurance company policies have a similar protection. That amount is all inclusive to include items like float tubes, oars, life preservers, etc., in addition to an actual boat. The personal property coverage extends worldwide no matter where these items may be located. Beyond that, I believe you’d have to have a specific policy to insure coverage on a boat.

I look at insurance as providing protection on what I can’t afford to loose, not on what I can afford to loose. I always felt that I could afford to loose (say) $10,000 on a drift boat. What I couldn’t (or wouldn’t) want to loose, however, might be a potential multi million dollar liability if someone that was in my boat drowned and sued me. So, I do have a separate blanket liability insurance policy. Those are relatively inexpensive, and I believe that State Farm sells them in million dollar increments.

I no longer own drift boats but I didn’t separately insure them when I did own drift boats. However, my homeowner’s insurance policy with State Farm provides (I think) something like up to $1,000 coverage on a ‘watercraft” category. I believe that most other homeowner’s insurance company policies have a similar protection. That amount is all inclusive to include items like float tubes, oars, life preservers, etc., in addition to an actual boat. The personal property coverage extends worldwide no matter where these items may be located. Beyond that, I believe you’d have to have a specific policy to insure coverage on a boat.

I look at insurance as providing protection on what I can’t afford to loose, not on what I can afford to loose. I always felt that I could afford to loose (say) $10,000 on a drift boat. What I couldn’t (or wouldn’t) want to loose, however, might be a potential multi million dollar liability if someone that was in my boat drowned and sued me. So, I do have a separate blanket liability insurance policy. Those are relatively inexpensive, and I believe that State Farm sells them in million dollar increments.
As a risk management professional myself, you are absolutely correct on all aspects of your statement. The standard ISO homeowners policy used by the majority of carriers provides $1,500 of coverage for watercraft including trailers, furnishings and equipment. Liability is afforded by the homeowners policy and liability is extended from the auto for the trailer/boat should something occur when being towed. For liability coverage extension from the homeowners the boat must be less than 26' and inboard of 50hp or less or outboard of 25 hp or less.

As you note, umbrella policies provide excess liability coverage beyond the limits of your auto, home, boat, etc (any policy listed under the umbrella).

You Sir must be a lot more wealthy than I am. I would never feel I could "afford" to a $10,000 anything. I typically float with my best friend or alone. I never considered someone drowning - it is hard to fall out of a drift boat. I actually have been insuring my boat for many years. My premium is only $140 a year so the cost was not an issue. I have a lock on my trailer so when it is parked someone have to be prepared to cut through a hardened steel shackle.

Yes, I insured my old one on a personal / pleasure use policy. The new one is covered under guide insurance policy but they charge 3x as much for physical damage.

Jeff,
You can probably start your shopping in early October - December. Unless you get real lucky, boats will hard to come by until then. Also, price gouging is now common practice.

That surely doesn't look good. I have floated my Hyde at least 250 times and have never had any incidents where I took on water. The worse that has happened was getting hung on, sideways, on a big flat rock with deep water all around. Had to use an oar to push off.

A simple 3 minutes of searching this morning yielded two drift boats and a catararaft for sale. One is a beautiful unused Don Hill wooden drift boat for $11,500. You're responsible to pick up or arrange transport which would cost you around 3k. Also found 2016 clacka for $8,000 which you would have to pick up in Minnesota. Catararaft was $6,000 and is in Michigan.

If you want to say "screw it" and buy a new boat, the build time is 16-20 months. Order now so you can enjoy using it in the spring of 2024. Worst time ever to get a boat. NRS rafts are back ordered anywhere from 8 to 15 months as well. It's just not a good time to find any of this stuff

Jeff,
You can probably start your shopping in early October - December. Unless you get real lucky, boats will hard to come by until then. Also, price gouging is now common practice.
Yeah buddy, the prices in the NE US for boats is particularly crazy. Oddly enough I found a very nice drift boat with a 9.9hp Yamaha outboard in Florida the other day that was very reasonably priced. I offered to put a $500 deposit on it and my parents were going to pick it up, then I was going to drive to NC to get it from them. A few hours later the person wrote back that someone came offered his $1,000 more than asking and came by and picked it up. I'm primarily going to be using mine in the Susquehanna, so if you see anything that would fit the bill let me know. I don't have to have a drift boat but I want to avoid the typical aluminum john boat style if possible. Thanks!

Look at used raft or hooligan/fly raft rig. More user friendly for hitting stuff, way cheaper and more available

Please send my $50 finders fee by zelle. Probably be another $1500-$2000 transport or drive to Bozeman and pick up. It's only 35-36 hours from your house

IMG 20220516 144333979

Back