Is it possible to tie 6X Flouro tippet to a size 8 wooly bugger (just being lazy)?

Today I lived this.

I was nymphing 6x tippet on a stream for brookies early morning. Later in the morning I was on another stream, a spring creek. I tied on a small maybe 2 inch streamer that was kind of like a Kreelex minnow to the 6x. A 16-18” brown shot out from under some vegetation and slammed it. I set the hook(maybe a little too hard) and snapped my tippet right off at the ring. I used a clinch knot. I would assume the 6x and my hard hook set with the rod is exactly why I broke off. I am new to fly fishing so it’s a learning experience.

When fishing streamers, I recommend not going lighter than 3x.

When trout hit a streamer, they will often break 4x tippet. But very rarely break 3x tippet.

You can make tippet adjustments easier by tying a tippet ring at the end of a base leader that is tapered to 2x. Then build your tippet section with spools of 3x, 4x, 5x.
I agree in general for heavier tippet but 4x is my go to for steelhead streamers, never broke off.
As far as using 5/6x with nymphs I just remove the bottom 2-3ft of 5/6x and tie the streamer in. In fact moving/stained water never go below 4x. And with the 4lb segaur invix 200y spool for $20 it's a bargin. 😂👍

Today I lived this.

I was nymphing 6x tippet on a stream for brookies early morning. Later in the morning I was on another stream, a spring creek. I tied on a small maybe 2 inch streamer that was kind of like a Kreelex minnow to the 6x. A 16-18” brown shot out from under some vegetation and slammed it. I set the hook(maybe a little too hard) and snapped my tippet right off at the ring. I used a clinch knot. I would assume the 6x and my hard hook set with the rod is exactly why I broke off. I am new to fly fishing so it’s a learning experience.
6x and streamers are not friends!
6x is meant for tiny flies.

6x and streamers are not friends!
6x is meant for tiny flies.
Laziness and not thinking on my part. Live and learn I guess. Wondering if I can still get another shot at it in a week or so.

Thanks all. Good stuff, appreciate it!

I fish Clouser type flies for larger trout. I never go lighter than 2X. Often I prefer 1X. Remember if you are strip fishing a streamer you are pulling it away from a fish rushing to take it. Here are two strong opposing forces. I have had 18" browns break 3X like it was 6X. You may of hooked a trophy. You want to land it. Go strong or go home. All at least 2X.

Attachments

• Matt's Striper.jpg
    Matt's Striper.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 8
  • P1010746.JPG
    P1010746.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 2017-07-19 2788.JPG
    2017-07-19 2788.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 9
Back