Intro to Stripers on the Fly

G

gungagalunga

Good Afternoon,

I have become increasingly interested the past few years about extended my fly fishing adventures to fishing for stripers from the shore and coast for striped bass. I have my first chartered trip scheduled for July in Rhode Island and I'm very much looking forward to it. This would require a larger rod setup than I currently have, a 7 weight Orvis Access. I have fished the 7 weight heavily the past few years for larger freshwater species including bass, carp, and pickerel. I am an intermediate level caster on my 7 weight and understand going to a larger rod setup will require lots of practice.

I am looking for comments on rod, reel, lines, and leader suggestions in addition to a small assortment of flies to have available. Any advice on rod type and make, one-line setup (intermediate sinking, full sinking etc.), reels with sealed drags, casting techniques/instructions are all welcome.

I have been exploring mostly 9' 9w setups for fishing from the shore or beach, and potentially use the rod for salmon, but I understand that may require different line and reel spool. I am well aware the cost for the whole rod outfit setup could be in the ballpark of $500-1000 for an introductory rod setup. Any lightly used gear that one may be willing to sell or part with would also be great. This setup would specifically be for striper fishing. There is lots of great video and other media content I have already explored and gathered information on as well, but any must have books-to-read would be welcome suggestions as well.

Kind Regards,

Gunga Galunga

gungagalunga wrote:
Good Afternoon,

I have become increasingly interested the past few years about extended my fly fishing adventures to fishing for stripers from the shore and coast for striped bass. I have my first chartered trip scheduled for July in Rhode Island and I'm very much looking forward to it. This would require a larger rod setup than I currently have, a 7 weight Orvis Access. I have fished the 7 weight heavily the past few years for larger freshwater species including bass, carp, and pickerel. I am an intermediate level caster on my 7 weight and understand going to a larger rod setup will require lots of practice.

I am looking for comments on rod, reel, lines, and leader suggestions in addition to a small assortment of flies to have available. Any advice on rod type and make, one-line setup (intermediate sinking, full sinking etc.), reels with sealed drags, casting techniques/instructions are all welcome.

I have been exploring mostly 9' 9w setups for fishing from the shore or beach, and potentially use the rod for salmon, but I understand that may require different line and reel spool. I am well aware the cost for the whole rod outfit setup could be in the ballpark of $500-1000 for an introductory rod setup. Any lightly used gear that one may be willing to sell or part with would also be great. This setup would specifically be for striper fishing. There is lots of great video and other media content I have already explored and gathered information on as well, but any must have books-to-read would be welcome suggestions as well.

Kind Regards,

Gunga Galunga

A 9 foot 9wt or 10wt rod to start. Try to test cast a few rods before making your choice.

A decent sealed drag reel matched to the rod.

A saltwater (coldwater) intermediate line to start you off, and a spool with heavier sinking line would be handy.

Definitely a stripping basket.

Bootfoot waders are a must if your serious about beach fishing; stockingfoots are a no-go, you'll destroy them in short-order on the sand.

Basic Flies like deceivers, clousers, and sandeel flies to start and maybe some SW poppers and gurglers. Check with local fly shops for different fly selections, patterns and colors.

Here's a decent article I found with some basics on how to gear up for surf FFing > https://flylordsmag.com/gear-essentials-for-chasing-striped-bass-on-the-fly/

Good luck.

no advice but +1 for the user name!!
Dali Lama....great guy the Lama.

Big hitter...

Gunga,
I'll second Afish's advice on some of the things you'll need.

I like a 10WT for surf stripers but a 9WT will cover the bases too.

I regard 8WTs as too light for fall surf fishing - you'll get pushed around in the wind and a big fish in heavy waves will smoke you if you're undergunned with an 8WT. An 8WT can be a good match down south or during summertime when wave action is lighter and the target is schoolie bass and snapper blues.

Flies are pretty basic but Clouser Minnows are my go-to fly for fall surf fishing. July in Rhode Island may also put you into bluefish and albies so have some big, bright colored poppers and streamers for the blues and some wire leaders. Clousers in the smaller sizes will work for albies or maybe bonita.

I typically use 20lb test tippet for surf fishing for stripers and will sometimes add a shock tippet of 30 or 40lb flouro if fishing around rocks. For clear water or albies, go lighter on the tippet, say 12lb test.

Good luck with your trip!

I have no answers for you, but on your death bed you will receive total consciousness, so you have that going for you, which is nice.

Thank you for the insight afish and Dave_W. Any luck surf fishing in New Jersey during summer or the fall time?

gungagalunga wrote:
Thank you for the insight afish and Dave_W. Any luck surf fishing in New Jersey during summer or the fall time?

The ocean temps are getting too high for surf fishing right now.

The best time is the fall when the ocean temps drops down into the 50's and the striper run happens.

In recent years the best surf fishing for stripers at the NJ shore has been in November.

Just watch the temps and reports here >

http://www.betty-n-nicks.com/fish.shtml

https://www.grumpystackle.com/blogs/fishing-reports

Good luck.

gungagalunga wrote:

As Afish said, fall is better.

However, the Jersey shore in summer can be fun with a fly rod. There are lots of fluke and snapper blues around (this is when you want your 7WT or 8WT rod), both in the surf and the back bays. It's a great time to take a kayak out in the bays.

However, the NJ shore is crowded and expensive in summer (I almost never go there in summer) so I recommend fishing in the very early mornings.

An 8 or 9 wt is perfect most of the fish you encounter from shore are sub 20 lb

Anyone ever fish the estuaries in Delaware? Silver Run?

I use a 10' 9wt for fishing the surf in OBX and a 9' 7wt for the sound.

I have been wondering this as well and where they could be targeted along the Delaware River from Philly to NY. I had a guided mousing trip on Upper Delaware a few weeks ago and my guide Zack was telling me the striper and shad move all the way up to the reservoirs during their spawning runs. He said that an angler had recently hooked into a large striper on a 5 weight and the rod exploded trying to fight it.
mellowluke wrote:
Anyone ever fish the estuaries in Delaware? Silver Run?

JoeE,

Any favorite patterns fishing the surf? Ever made it closer up to the mid atlantic or Jersey for stripers in the surf?
JoeE wrote:

Big Clouser's, full sinking line and short leader, works for me.

I went on my first-ever saltwater outing a couple weeks ago. Wade-fished in one of the bays on Long Island's South Fork.

Caught a handful of stripers and one bluefish on a 9wt Redington Path outfit with a floating line, 9ft leader with 16lb tippet. All on size 2 Clousers, either black or white/chartreuse. A 9wt setup was definitely enough in my case. Like others have mentioned, I'd strongly recommend a stripping basket. Also, wear a stripping guard or tape up your fingers. Line burn is a real thing...

I really had no idea what I was doing with respect to tides and things like that. It was hot and sunny out, and I had most luck at dawn and dusk. It felt like it was easier to narrow down where the fish might be at lower tide and wading was obviously much easier at low tide.

Back