I'm getting the Salt Water bug

Fred and FI- thanks for the info.

More reading gonna get done soon with the weather turning colder.

Probably the biggest thing for me would be just to practice hauling. The wind sure can make you look foolish not to mention unproductive with the fly rod.

So far to me it seems that the flies were'nt that important yet. I have never fished for bones or anything but does'nt seem saltfish are that picky.

Paul

acristickid wrote:

2. Fly fishing in Saltwater by Lefty

Anyone read/seen them?

Any good?

I'm a noob to saltwater fly fishing and found this book to be a tremendous help in making the transition from fresh to salt. Not necessarily in the sense of specific areas (OBX, NJ surf, etc.), but with an overall understanding of saltwater fishing.

Well worth the $$$ IMO...

Well I second guessed myself because of the wind on fri and decided to do some trout fishing . Boy was I wrong there was 3 full out blitzes at Ibsp on fri of blues and bass right in the exact spot I planned on fishing. I've never been so mad at myself for something fishing related eeerrrrrrrrrrrrr :evil: :evil: :evil: .
my blood was boiling . I had to pound down some Guinness to drown away my sorrows :cry: :cry: :cry: :pint: :pint:

That blows fred.

I am short on cash and invested in the steelheading thing this year, but I'll be talking to you next summer about maybe getting some stuff for the salt. I'd like to get into it.

Jay, not sure what you got fro steel but you may already be set to go. I have used my 9ft8wt for both and that was the plan from the start. You are closer to salt than to steel by a good bit.

9ft 9wt will do the job, but I'd need a line, all terminal tackle, flies, and time. I might still try to get it done on a weekend this fall/winter, but I'd be doing it with minimal research.

I have a switch rod, but 6wt is a bit too light. Love it for steelies though.

I use the same wff line that I use for steelhead, a leader with a 12 lb tippet and clousers and deceivers. I tied the flies, of which I have maybe 2 dozen, in one weekend. I often use my clear intermediate line (preferable) which I picked up on the Orvis site for less than 30 bucks. Cabela's makes on just like it. You are closer than you think to just driving till you hit beach and throwing it out there.

Hm. Standard WF line? I overline my 9wt with 10wt DT for salmon/high water steel. If I can get a cheapo line, I'll see about giving it a shot within the next few weekends.

Here is some cheap saltwater lines Jay
http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-lines.html
Jay i have plenty of equipment
I have two 9s two 8s 1 10 4 reels 4 spools .And a partridge in a pear tree . All you need to get is a striping basket and a 9 wt int line

Fredrick wrote:
Here is some cheap saltwater lines Jay
http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-lines.html
Jay i have plenty of equipment
I have two 9s two 8s 1 10 4 reels 4 spools .And a partridge in a pear tree . All you need to get is a striping basket and a 9 wt int line

Thanks for the info.

I'd be happy to borrow your gear on a trip over there with you. I just can't swing any week days. Work isn't giving any time off until christmas. :-(

Looks like a good price on the line. I'll have to take a look at mine. I think it is a newer WF forward line and might just wait till it gets chewed up some more before buying.

Looking forward to saltwater.

Jay,

Don't be afraid to use your freshwater gear for the salt. I used my 9ft 8wt this past summer in the OBX and it performed fine. WF floating line worked well in addition to a clear intermediate tip line all got the job done. I serviced my gear with great detail after the week and all is well!

If I were "salting it" a good bit, I'd look at buying salt-resistant gear (reel, etc.), but for a couple times a year, freshwater gear works well.

Gear-wise, there is minimal transition between fresh and salt...

Let us know how you make out!

Just make sure you rinse your gear very well in fresh water after every trip. Very well.

Watched the "In search of a rising tide". Would'nt recommend buying it- I would been upset had I spent any money on it.

Not very good- gets a C plus- hey it's still fly fishing. Looks like some big bones there at Andros- probably a lot of loot though. Not on my short list.

Started to read the "Moon pulled up and acre of Bass" Okay so far- early still though.

Back