If you could fish only one warm water river/lake in PA...

F

Fishidiot

If you had to pick only one warm water stream/river/lake to fish in PA for the rest of your life...which would it be? I do most of my warm water fishing on small creeks for bass and sunnies but I love to visit the bigger rivers too. I have yet to fish the lower Delaware or Allegheny for bass. The middle section of the Juniata River wins my vote. While the Juniata lacks the numbers of bass it had a decade ago, in my opinion it has weathered the columnaris problems much better than the lower Susquehanna. The "big J" has a lot to recommend it:

Pretty easy to wade in most places
Good public access, lots of boat ramps
Nice combo of runs, holes, structure, and riffles
Pretty easy float with few rapids/obstacles
Beautiful scenery, lots of birds and wildlife
Strong population of trophy smallies, 18+ inches
Recovers from flooding faster than Susky
Good opportunites for other fishes: catfish, rock bass, walleyes, and muskies

I could fish the Juniata River for the rest of my life.

For me it would probably be the Delaware. I spent a good portion of my warmwater fishing this year exploring the delaware. In terms of numbers and size of smallies I put up some great days this past year, doing better there than on the susky. Also factoring in that to get to the good wading spots it's only about 45 minutes from my house, versus the good spots on the susky which are 2 1/2 hours away.

Even though you said warm water, I have to say the Yough River. It has excellent warm water fishing from Connellsville down, but also good trout fishing above. The number and variety of fish is pretty impressive. Plus it's so damned perplexing -- especially the trout fishing -- you could easily spend a lifetime trying to figure it out.

The DELAWARE, Nothing comes close, trout, bass, walleye, catfish, panfish, stripers, shad, and the occasional sturgeon..(only one I have caught on fly)

I would still say the lower Susquehanna! I'm a die-hard that has had wonderful memories of the past. Many >100 days wading with a 6wt! That's as good as fishing gets.
The last 5 years have been terrible for the smallmouth here, but I still caught a few and I can see a little sign of things getting better.
The Juniata is also a wonderful place to flyfish.
The problem is: I think I know every rock from Harrisburg to Duncannon! I know every pool! The bass there almost know my name by now!! When they see me, they know that I'll release them and if they could talk, they would say "how's it going fly dude"
It's hard to break old habits...... and I've caught so many there, I have great confidence in the Holy Waters.
If 09' doesn't improve, I think I'll only fish saltwater...... "for the rest of my life"
I could see myself just fishing for stripers and weakfish in the surf with a nice 8wt!!

The Susky north branch. I grew up on its banks and fished it since I was a kid. It still fishes well.

I love fly fishing at Presque Isle it offers panfish ,bass and pike.This last summer i would wade the shore lines of the lagoons and bay areas and had some terrific action on top water poppers for pike and bass,during early morning and evening hours.

That's easy for me. The Tunkannock Creek. Smallies and Trout, Rock Bass. It's all good! I got a 2 trip guided fishing day with my Brother as a Christmas present and he said he would share his special spots. I had so much fun the last time we fished I Can't wait!!

For a stillwater, it would have to be Presque Isle Bay. Year in and year out and from a flyfishing perspective, it is unequaled by any other lake in PA in terms of WW game fish diversity and potential for larger than average fish..

For a warm water stream, I'd choose French Creek in the NW. It's big, but the bigness is not really limiting to the fly angler, the way some of the larger rivers are. And I'm of the view that even the big name ballyhooed smallmouth streams of eastern PA aren't really that much if any better than French Creek.

In 2nd place, and especially for numbers of bass and scenery, I'd say the Clarion River from about Portland Mills down to at least Gravel Lick. It gets busy though with the multiple use resource crowd. Lotta drunks in canoes..

The lower Yough and a few farm ponds in and around Westmoreland County.

JH

afishinado wrote:
The Susky north branch. I grew up on its banks and fished it since I was a kid. It still fishes well.[/quote]

I hear you. Probly the same Pipe line.

I have some experience with the Yough and it's fairly close-by. Look forward to expanding my summer warm water fishing this year. Gonna give Lake Authur and Presque Isle a go this year.

(Little Chartiers would be like 4th)

Lower Yough, near Shaner. You can wade across, and believe it or not, there is some holding water and a nice run. You can catch trout here in the summer, I believe they make it down from New Stanton. You can also fish on top for carp that are stuck in flood pools. This is also a great bass spot.

SteviePinefoot,

The trout most likely come from West Newton and Coulter Sportsmans Clubs. That area of the river is indeed very nice,. I watched my brother land the biggest Smallie I ever seen there about twenty years ago! If we are talking about the same run, drift a crawdad through it and hang-on!! The Yough is easily crossed in a lot of places, but still be careful cause the deep holes can and are DEEP!! I feel that the this river can be the best Smallie water in the state with a little help. If the Sportsman clubs would pay a little attention to habitat improvements and not just spend their $$ on feeding the muskies a good trout dinner, it would be the best all around watershed in the state!!

JH

Back