How To Fly Fish | Euro Nymphing Ideas From Orvis

Tom Rosenbauer learns from George Daniel why euro nymphing is so effective for catching trout and how to do it!

Innovation is an inherent aspect of every sport, and fly fishing is no exception. One of the most prominent and productive techniques currently utilized in the sport is known as European Style Nymphing.

Euro Nymphing is a fly fishing technique that originated in Europe, particularly in Czechoslovakia, Poland, and France. It involves the use of weighted flies without a strike indicator, and the angler relies on feeling the fish biting or seeing the line twitch to set the hook. This technique allows for more efficient fishing of the river's bottom, resulting in more fish being hooked.

But what exactly is European Style Nymphing, and why should you try it the next time you go fishing?

The answer is simple: Euro-nymphing offers one of the most intimate way of getting to know a river. It is an incredibly effective technique for breaking down sections of a river and fishing every inch of it. With expertise in Euro-nymphing, you can easily spot small variations on a river's bottom, resulting in more fish being hooked.

In conclusion, European Style Nymphing is a technique that every fly fisherman should try out on their next fishing trip. It offers an unparalleled level of intimacy with the river and can significantly increase your chances of catching more fish.

KeviR
I used to fish euro style more, and decided it was too easy to catch fish, then went back to my main focus of dry fly fishing...
kbf64 - can I arrange some private lessons?

JeremyW
I'd suggest this video: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/modernnymphing I used to live in Utah, and got a bunch of small tips from the guys at fly fish food. There are three videos from Lance Egan, and Devin Olsen also two team USA fly fishers worth the purchase IMO. Then it's practice, Youtube, and practice. Most people can become super efficient at catching trout with picking up some euro tactics.

I'll bring my euro rod if I think I might get skunked along with my dry fly rod... sometimes it saves the day.

JeremyW
I use the Sage ESN 10'6" 3wt generally, but there are many good rods, that are also less money. I'd also suggest having a look at Devin's online store: https://www.tacticalflyfisher.com/fly-fishing/rods/nymphing-rods/

I started with the echo shadow X, but I found the tip was too soft. I caught a lot of fish on, the rod but I found the ESN to have better tip action. Like I said, there are great rods for Euro much less than $900.

Dubhlaine
I still prefer Dry fly but as other mentioned, some days it's not happening and with nymphs you don't have to be on a hatch schedule.😉

Dubhlaine

Tom Rosenbauer learns from George Daniel why euro nymphing is so effective for catching trout and how to do it!

Innovation is an inherent aspect of every sport, and fly fishing is no exception. One of the most prominent and productive techniques currently utilized in the sport is known as European Style Nymphing.

Euro Nymphing is a fly fishing technique that originated in Europe, particularly in Czechoslovakia, Poland, and France. It involves the use of weighted flies without a strike indicator, and the angler relies on feeling the fish biting or seeing the line twitch to set the hook. This technique allows for more efficient fishing of the river's bottom, resulting in more fish being hooked.

But what exactly is European Style Nymphing, and why should you try it the next time you go fishing?

The answer is simple: Euro-nymphing offers one of the most intimate way of getting to know a river. It is an incredibly effective technique for breaking down sections of a river and fishing every inch of it. With expertise in Euro-nymphing, you can easily spot small variations on a river's bottom, resulting in more fish being hooked.

In conclusion, European Style Nymphing is a technique that every fly fisherman should try out on their next fishing trip. It offers an unparalleled level of intimacy with the river and can significantly increase your chances of catching more fish.
Fairly effective for steelies also (when they are close to the bottom)

JeremyW
fair warning, once you get 'hooked' on euro fishing, you may want to ditch your indicators forever....

S
I'd suggest this video: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/modernnymphing I used to live in Utah, and got a bunch of small tips from the guys at fly fish food. There are three videos from Lance Egan, and Devin Olsen also two team USA fly fishers worth the purchase IMO. Then it's practice, Youtube, and practice. Most people can become super efficient at catching trout with picking up some euro tactics.

I'll bring my euro rod if I think I might get skunked along with my dry fly rod... sometimes it saves the day.
The fact that you actually met Devin and Lance is very cool to me. They are insanely good anglers with a massive wealth of knowledge.

S
This is one technique I need to work on more this year. I've always fished indicator style and that is what I am comfortable with. I think there are benefits to fishing with or without an indicator. It's more of a situational thing. In deep fast runs I prefer the tight-line style, in slower larger areas where I have to cover more water the indicator is preferred. I will say that tight-lining in general is a much better way to get a drag free drift because there is no indicator contradicting what you want your flies to do and no fly line sitting on the surface. We all know that water speed drops dramatically from the surface to the bottom. Indicators often lift up the flies and pull them out of the strike window. The tight-lining method also employs complete contact at all times so there is complete elimination of slack in one's rig. There's a fair bit of slack when fishing indicator. Slack in the line to the indicator and the indicator to the flies. Tight-lining is a lot more sensitive too because of this lack of slack. I don't want to think about how many strikes I've missed with an indicator... Also when tight-lining you will encounter less tangles then when fishing an indicator and depth adjustments are much easier as you simply lift and/or adjust the rod tip to work different kinds of water. Indicators have to be manually adjusted and when I used my foam stick-on style indicators I had to add/subtract tippet to adjust depth.

That being said I still like indicator system because I like to cast a weight-forward line. I can also see the indicator a lot better than sighter. I have a method to my madness in how I am able to overhand cast an indi rig. It calls for good timing to prevent the flies and indicator from bunching up.

S
I use the Sage ESN 10'6" 3wt generally, but there are many good rods, that are also less money. I'd also suggest having a look at Devin's online store: https://www.tacticalflyfisher.com/fly-fishing/rods/nymphing-rods/

I started with the echo shadow X, but I found the tip was too soft. I caught a lot of fish on, the rod but I found the ESN to have better tip action. Like I said, there are great rods for Euro much less than $900.
Oh, OG ESN or HD? I love my HD 3100, such a lovely and sensitive rod.

JeremyW
The fact that you actually met Devin and Lance is very cool to me. They are insanely good anglers with a massive wealth of knowledge.
Well just lance, and cheech from fly fish food, they are pretty chill normal dudes with a great fly shop...

Back