How to Clean Your Fly Line

After a busy spring and early summer of fly-fishing, or at the end of the season is a good time to give your gear a little attention. Your fly line especially could use some love during the year.

The UV rays of the sun and common chemicals can break down your fly line over time. Sunscreen and the deet in your insect repellent can easily do the most common damage. After a short time even mud, salt, and dirty water can weaken the effectiveness of your line unless you are periodically cleaning and treating them carefully.

In this video, Brian Flechsig at Mad River Outfitters offers a detailed step-by-step guide on how to clean your fly line and why you should do so!

F
I have the Sci Anglers cleaning Kit with the Line Cleaner / Dressing and Pad. If you read the print on the bottle it indicates that the Line Dressing / Cleaner is NOT to be used on any Sci Anglers Fly Lines that have AST or AST+ coatings which is probably most of their higher price offerings. The instructions indicate to use the fine grit side only and no cleaner. I thought this was odd but that is what it says.

In addition Rio does not recommend applying their Line Dressing / Cleaner (Agent X) on any of their Sinking or Sink Tip lines.

The fine micro abrasive cloth works well and you can feel the lubricants come to the surface of the line.

Last edited:
flytyer01
using warm water and mild soap is a good start for me, then apply your favorite dressing

Back