How to catch a big brown

Peyton

Peyton

I've been trying to catch this big brown trout in pigeon creek for three years now, and only a giant nymph allowed me to hook it, it then proceeded to run to the very end of the run, and pull the line to the backing, 5wt, and very poor hook hold so I didn't want to lose it. After 5 minutes of running end to end, I got it tired out and near the bank, only for it to wrap around a sunken vine and come loose, I estimate it to be 22-26" and it's got a massive hook jaw. Now it's spooked by anything, even a size 26 midge. It went for a 28 but I set the hook too early, and it has stolen small chubs and bluegills of my line but doesn't like streamers. How could I catch this fish and safely land and release it? I also need to weave through the 12" trout and the 18" rainbow too, along with pesty bluegills.

Catch some minnows, wait for a May thunderstorm and get there as soon as it stops while the water is still coming up. You could even fish the minnow on your fly rod.

Did I just say that on a flyfishing forum?? Haha

You know precisely where it is and it doesn’t seem like it moves or migrates much. That’s half the battle. The rest is timing. A big Brown like that is wary and wise, and in my experience those kinds of fish are difficult, if not impossible to catch in daylight in clear water. Fish a big streamer during high, off color water, or at night. That will help your chances of getting a take. Fish heavy tippet, like 10 lb or so, so if you hook him you can have some confidence during the fight and hopefully keep him away from any escape obstacles. Quite honestly, you’ve done quite well to get him to take twice already.

You know precisely where it is and it doesn’t seem like it moves or migrates much. That’s half the battle. The rest is timing. A big Brown like that is wary and wise, and in my experience those kinds of fish are difficult, if not impossible to catch in daylight in clear water. Fish a big streamer during high, off color water, or at night. That will help your chances of getting a take. Fish heavy tippet, like 10 lb or so, so if you hook him you can have some confidence during the fight and hopefully keep him away from any escape obstacles. Quite honestly, you’ve done quite well to get him to take twice already.
I won’t fish there at night, about 3 feet of bank and then the road, I will have to try it out during some rain to see if it works

If you’ve been chasing him for three years I think you already have what it takes Peyton, that‘s persistence and patience. Keep at it and let us know when you land him. Good luck.

The neighbor kid went down there a week ago with a heavy line and a big hook, and purposefully snagged it in the tail, he was bragging that it was so easy to catch and that he cut the tail in half. He claimed to release it, but he likely held it out of water too long like the other fish he snags. Now the poor thing can't fight the current as hard and is likely dead. I will try and get down there and see if it's still alive. This is not the first time he has done this.

Catch some minnows, wait for a May thunderstorm and get there as soon as it stops while the water is still coming up. You could even fish the minnow on your fly rod.

Did I just say that on a flyfishing forum?? Haha
Not to hijack this thread, but along these lines. I've had two pool boss browns come after junk fish (chub&shiner) I was landing, in the past two weeks. The first one never actually took the chub, just made a run, but did linger thinking about it, as I left the chub in the water. The second one (different location) did take the shiner and I let it run about 10 seconds, fought it briefly, and shortly after landed the shiner. I don't think it was ever hooked, just had the shiner wedged in its belly headfirst and eventually it got turned around. Wondering what are opinions on this scenario? Should one just land the little guys or take a shot at the big boy?

Hooking a brown on a minnow or chub that you have hooked in the mouth with a small nymph or dryfly is a futile effort. If you want to minnow fish, there are several tactics you can use. Some thread the minnow, others hook near the dorsal fin, others hook through the head.

I don't think the fish is alive and can't check for over a week. I have seen it eating gnats and midges in the only spot I can't cast at, and tried minnows but it was way too flooded. I may try to catch some tiny chubs and float them down to him.

I won’t fish there at night, about 3 feet of bank and then the road, I will have to try it out during some rain to see if it works
None of that would preclude me from fishing somewhere at night. Just watch your backcast and figure out a way to land the fish if you hook it.

The formula to catch big browns is:

1) (Most importantly) - fish streams that are likely or that you know have them in.
2) Fish during times when big browns feed - high water or at night will bring them out of the cover they normal would hang out during the day
3) As an antithesis to #2, if you do happen to find a big brown out in the day, like you did, do like you did and toss a few different things at it. I recently caught a 21" brown in a stream that matched criteria #1 above. It was Super Bowl Sunday, a bit chilly and water temps weren't much above freezing. I was fishing a streamer initially and didn't move anything in the pool, so I moved up to take a closer look. I visually identified what I thought was either a fish shaped sandbar or a fish, sitting perpendicular to the top flow of the stream through the pool and proceeded to cycle through a number of flies. The sandbar didn't take the anything, but on about the third drift of an egg pattern, it turned into a 21" brown. I don't know if it struck out of frustration or decided it wanted to be a rainbow trout, but it was a nice wild fish.
4) Don't tell neighbor kids about big fish.

None of that would preclude me from fishing somewhere at night. Just watch your backcast and figure out a way to land the fish if you hook it.

The formula to catch big browns is:

1) (Most importantly) - fish streams that are likely or that you know have them in.
2) Fish during times when big browns feed - high water or at night will bring them out of the cover they normal would hang out during the day
3) As an antithesis to #2, if you do happen to find a big brown out in the day, like you did, do like you did and toss a few different things at it. I recently caught a 21" brown in a stream that matched criteria #1 above. It was Super Bowl Sunday, a bit chilly and water temps weren't much above freezing. I was fishing a streamer initially and didn't move anything in the pool, so I moved up to take a closer look. I visually identified what I thought was either a fish shaped sandbar or a fish, sitting perpendicular to the top flow of the stream through the pool and proceeded to cycle through a number of flies. The sandbar didn't take the anything, but on about the third drift of an egg pattern, it turned into a 21" brown. I don't know if it struck out of frustration or decided it wanted to be a rainbow trout, but it was a nice wild fish.
4) Don't tell neighbor kids about big fish.
My friend has stocked some massive browns and goldens, so I will try to catch those first, all in the 24-31” range and up to 7#

novice fly fisher here. Starting to travel and experience mountain creeks. Any tips for Kettle Creek. And any date predictions for the green drake on Penns Creek

novice fly fisher here. Starting to travel and experience mountain creeks. Any tips for Kettle Creek. And any date predictions for the green drake on Penns Creek
I think you have the wrong thread.

Still not the biggest brown in there but still a 20” wild brown.
2D22FC0E B647 4514 A3DF EA04237F49F6

streamers - big flies = big fish

streamers - big flies = big fish
I've caught lots of nice trout on streamers, but I think I've caught just as many big'uns on nymphs. And I ain't no tactical fluorocarbon flippin' euro long leader nymph guy. But yeah, I do catch a lot on streamers.......I love throwing streamers, too. I'm a streamer guy.

I've caught lots of nice trout on streamers, but I think I've caught just as many big'uns on nymphs. And I ain't no tactical fluorocarbon flippin' euro long leader nymph guy. But yeah, I do catch a lot on streamers.......I love throwing streamers, too. I'm a streamer guy.
Took a 21" wild brown on a #26 midge emerger recently 6x tippet
KIMG2876
KIMG2872

That fish was16" right before the big guy that I wasn't able to get a picture of because he wouldn't cooperate.

Back