Help - Bobbin ID

S

steelhdr80

Hi All -
Hoping someone can help ID the manufacturer of this bobbin, or point me in the direction of something similar. It was purchased years ago from E. Hille in Williamsport. The key feature is the notch near the tip to feed thread, rather than through the tube. The one I use has sentimental value and I'd like to put it aside. I've looked all over the web and can't find anything similar.

Attachments

• bobbin1.jpg
    bobbin1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 51
  • bobbin2.jpg
    bobbin2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 26
And here too:

I looks like any bobbin could be modified to work like that.
Has anyone done that?

These bobbins are unique, and very functional, but certainly not weird. As already pointed out, they were made by John Dorin, who also made a number of other very functional fly tying tools, including teardrop hackle pliers and bodkins.
John was also the inventor of the Regal Vise and the BIC lighter.

As you know, these bobbins are self threading with a cut out in the tip to allow easy threading. One model is convertible, has both a removable standard and heavier duty tip. Each bodkin is stamped with John’s initials, JD.

Here’s a picture of several of these bodkins that I have, and use all the time.

78980A68 395F 4890 BDB5 D3AB0DE2B36F

And, here’s a picture showing of one of the heavier duty J. Dorin bobbins (shown on the right, with the smaller standard size tip removed, and the regular sized bobbin on the left).

218147E4 D9CC 4F44 9F22 2663BCD2F3EF

I‘m not sure where I bought my John Dorin bobbins, but I remember periodically driving from State College while I was a student at Penn State in the 1960’s to E. Hille’s in Williamsport to buy fly tying supplies, and I still have several of the Indian necks that I bought there back then. (I also still have a Hille catalog from 1986; the J. Dorin bobbins are not in it and apparently came onto the market sometime later.)

Last edited:
...I‘m not sure where I bought my John Dorin bobbins, but I remember periodically driving from State College while I was a student at Penn State in the 1960’s to E. Hille’s in Williamsport to buy fly tying supplies... (I also still have a Hille catalog from 1986; the J. Dorin bobbins are not in it and apparently came onto the market sometime later.)

Are you aware if there was ever a long tube version, similar to Frank Materelli's long tube bobbin?

Are you aware if there was ever a long tube version, similar to Frank Materelli's long tube bobbin?
I don’t know. However, here is my Heavier Duty model (shown on the right) with the standard size tube inserted in it, which in effect gives a longer tube version.

3BD1DCE8 40F0 4542 AF5E 3BDB1F46D55A

Back