Green Drakes: May Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ernie... You never fail to impress me with your knowledge and moreso your willingness to share it with amatures like me.. I thank you...

DrFAS

Last edited:
F
Ernie,
Great article - thanks for sharing your tips and expertise. It's been too long since I've fished the Yough.

Last edited:
albatross
Those Penn's Creek Green Drakes are awesome. I was fishing a size 6 imitation and it was noticably smaller than the naturals. Thank-goodness the fish didn't mind...

Last edited:
albatross
Those Penn's Creek Green Drakes are awesome. I was fishing a size 6 imitation and it was noticably smaller than the naturals. Thank-goodness the fish didn't mind...

Last edited:
albatross

Last edited:
B
Yeah, the green drakes on Penn's are huge. So large infact that it is hard to find a fly that is the big enough. Penns creek angler (off of Rt. 45) had good sized flies when i stopped in on Tuesday. I"m anxiously awaiting the drakes to start popping off. I just hope that we don't get any more; the creek is already high.

Last edited:
B
Yeah, the green drakes on Penn's are huge. So large infact that it is hard to find a fly that is the big enough. Penns creek angler (off of Rt. 45) had good sized flies when i stopped in on Tuesday. I"m anxiously awaiting the drakes to start popping off. I just hope that we don't get any more; the creek is already high.

Last edited:
B

Last edited:
DaveKile
greendrake3.jpg
I was looking through my photographs from last year and found a Green Drake snapshot, which is one of my favorites. Green Drakes (Ephemera guttulata) are one of my favorite flies to observe, too.

I say observe as I usually find myself on Penns Creek fishing while a huge Green Drake hatch is coming off and I am doing anything, but catching a lot of trout. The mixed hatches that occur during this time of year are exciting and frustrating as many angler's would agree.

So this year I am going to stop practicing the fine art of talking to myself during the hatch and I might even throw on a sulphur or a should I dare say a emerger on during the madness?

The Green Drakes can starting showing up around May 20th and are complimented by the Coffin Fly spinners which provide equal splendor during this time of year. So sit back and get ready to enjoy the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back