fundamental flies

J

jersey_guy

my wife got me the premium fly tying kit from orvis. since i am new to the tying scene what would be some good flies that would be beneficial and good learing flies?

i couldnt have asked for a better gift during this ice storm!!

mark

Any form of caddis, gold ribbed hares ear, adams, pheasant tail nymph, wooley bugger, royal wulff. Google is your friend. Or do what I used to do and just go thru the llbean catalog and find one you like. Then search for a recipe.

Don't know if they still do, but Orvis had fly recipes available online to.

I just recently started tying myself. I'll give you a little warning... the first few flies you tie are probably going to look HORRIBLE! :-o Just keep at it. I've probably tied 50-60 flies since Christmas and I see that I'm improving. A few suggestions... start with something easy. A hares ear nymph or pheasant tail arent that hard and you can use them year round. I got my kit for christmas and sat down with it and just tied something... didnt have a clue what I was doing and now that i look back on it I see all my mistakes. Just learn to layer... start your thread (yeah look that up, confused me first time i did it) tie in a tail (Pheasant tail fibres, etc), take your dubbing material and twist it in ONE DIRECTION (thats the key) until it forms all around your thread, makes it look like a yarn almost. Twist your dubbing around towards your hook eye and tie in hackle material or whatever you chose for your recipe. A few words of wisdom however. when dubbing... if you think you have too much - you do, and if you think it looks like enough - you still have too much! second. LEAVE MORE ROOM TOWARDS THE EYE THAN YOU THINK YOU NEED. the first like 20 flies i tied i couldnt figure out why my finishing knots were horrible and it was too crowded to fit in all my materials. i found out that better too much room than not enough. Anyways... as a novice rambles on about something he doesnt know much about. here's the link to the thread i posted when i started tying a few weeks ago. alot of good advice on there.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=542&forum=5

Take your time and have fun with it. I haven't used any of mine yet cause everything's iced over but can't wait to catch that monster on something I tied myself.

Ryan

I would start with woolly buggers, because they're pretty easy, and you can learn the basics of wrapping thread, tying in tails and hackle, palmering hackle, and whip finishing on a larger and easier to tie fly. And you can catch fish with them this time of year, too! Then move on to the other flies that were suggested, starting with nymphs.

i still have my tying manul from a tying class i took about 15 yrs ago, its a trout unlimited manual , a ten week course the flies were, white marabou streamer....muskrat nymph ...hares ear...fur bodied ant.....casual dress .....wooly worm......black nose dace....muddler minnow.....elk hair caddis....lead wing coachman....deer hair body beetle....deer hair body ant....inch worm...cahill...adams....and last was a whitlock hopper

jrcll wrote:
i still have my tying manul from a tying class i took about 15 yrs ago, its a trout unlimited manual , a ten week course the flies were, white marabou streamer....muskrat nymph ...hares ear...fur bodied ant.....casual dress .....wooly worm......black nose dace....muddler minnow.....elk hair caddis....lead wing coachman....deer hair body beetle....deer hair body ant....inch worm...cahill...adams....and last was a whitlock hopper

Sounds like a good variation from easy to hard, and all the different types of flies.

To start, I would go with easy! Try the Hares Ear nymph and an easy dry is The Usual(it's also very effective).

Check out the tutorials on the www.troutflies.com site. There are some great step by step instructions on some great flies.

http://www.tie1on.net

Last weekend I met a member of the US Flyfishing team at the Sporting Gentleman in Media (I'm embarrassed to say I don't recall his name).

I asked what dry patterns he would recommend for a new tier. He recommended a comparadun and what looks like a Mathew X Caddis, both with Antron shucks.

BTW - He was very friendly; he gave me two flies he tied so I would have something to copy.

Back