Fly of the Month: Ritt's Fighting Crayfish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Dave, I really appreciate the kind words in the article. You are the first person to contact me, interview me, and publish a very nice piece highlighting what I am trying to create with these films. Getting out on the river is often referred to as "going to church" by my friends who taught me to Fly Fish. Now I have never been to church, because that is not my background, however I find the river is the only place to find peace from our rush rush lives. My films are a way to capture what some people will never have a chance to experience and for the addicted anglers that need something to wet their appetite when they are away from the river. My films are in constant motion evolving as I grow as a filmmaker as I experience what works and what doesn't on film. I also appreciate people like you who take a proactive approach by simply doing what they say they are going to do. Much success to you in your life and I will be in touch in the future if you would like to see the editing process or anything else that goes into these films. And most of all to everyone tuning in Thank You very all your support and comments Stay Tuned and Enjoy!

Last edited:
albatross
Wonderful video!

Brought back some memories for me. JackM and I had a banner day on the Cassleman last year and a week later I took my son and TomGamber down for the evening hatch. Lovely water and well managed by MD.

Last edited:
B
Very Nice Video!! I have a camp in Somerset Co. P.A. & the streams are sweet!! This year is awsome so far!! see you on the stream

Last edited:
J
This is a great fly Al emailed me the pattern a few years back.

Last edited:
J

Last edited:
J

Last edited:
gemiller
Really neat fly, I've never seen that before. I'll be giving that one a try!

Last edited:
gemiller

Last edited:
gemiller

Last edited:
flyfishermanj
Very Nice!! Gonna have to tie a few of theses.

JH

Last edited:
flyfishermanj

JH

Last edited:
flyfishermanj

JH

Last edited:
DaveKile
By Alan Ritt

alrittcrayfish.jpeg
There are times when I just don’t feel inspired to sit down and tie more of “the same.” Whether “the same” means flies others and I have tied for years, or it means patterns I’ve conjured up and like to think of as more or less mine. The point is a change is needed.

During one of these restless periods a decade or so ago I was thinking to myself that I didn’t fish nearly enough large flies. You know, the ones regularly hanging from the jaws of those fish in the pictures of each day’s newest instant hero. Not that I felt like I should be that hero, but sometimes you just want a shot at a larger fish. Another streamer or leech pattern just wasn’t what I was craving though. I wanted something more interesting. My mind gravitated to the crayfish.

Though there were a lot of effective crayfish patterns around, I wasn’t convinced there weren’t improvements to be made. I needed a pattern that would swim, crawl or rest in a realistic posture and was snag resistant enough to fish around cover where crayfish are commonly found. The details of the trial and error are entertaining stories of their own (like the version that, though heavily weighted, floated in the surface film).

Suffice it to say I did come up with a pattern that has been extremely effective for many species of fish and in many types of water and fishing conditions. The pattern incorporates the hard shiny carapace and multitude of legs, antennae and other appendages of the natural. It has lots of movement in the water, even when not being actively manipulated. The hook not only rides up, but the posture of the fly places the hook eye down and the bend up in the water column to make it relatively snag free even without a weed guard (or fish guard as I think of them). And unlike all other crayfish patterns I’ve seen, the main arms and claws do not lay limply behind the fly as if it was dead, but are held high like a natural warding off a predator and collapse behind the fly when stripped just as a live crayfish holds them when swimming.

I’ve used this fly myself to catch trout, largemouth and smallmouth bass, bluegills, crappie, bullheads, silver salmon and bonefish. Others have told me of catching carp, walleye and pike as well. Below is the recipe, vary the color to match the crayfish in your local waters (there are many variations) and let me know how you do! My flies are available on MyFlies.com and also my own web site has patterns and information on my tying demo appearances, lessons, guide services and flies as well as my contact information below.

D
Even though I'm pretty much a dry fly only guy - gotta say that those things look really cool!

Wonder if they would work on Erie steelhead......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back