Fly Fishing Getting Started - Trip Packing

Status
Not open for further replies.
vacation.jpg
"Numnutz," I figure that is what my dog, Bogey, is saying whenever she sees me rushing around packing for a trip. Lying there wagging her tail she somehow knows I will forget something.

So as I gear up for the Paflyfish Jamboree this weekend I have decided to take stock in what I really need to bring on my fly-fishing trips. Normally as I head out on a fishing weekend it looks like I am loaded up and heading out on some a family vacation to Florida. You know the trip where the station wagon is stuffed with crap and all you have to eat is warm chicken and mayo sandwiches as you looked longingly at South of the Border in SC because your parents would never stop. My wife won't let me stop now as any adult, but I'm not bitter.

Lately, I have gotten lazy packing for my trips. I create some lame-*** list that is scribbled on an envelope and I can't even read the damn thing after 30 minutes because it was written in such haste. My mental state is weakened by a litany of sideline questions from my family. I soon find a new sense of urgency to quickly escape before broken door handles and printer problems set me back even further. I must leave as it would be wrong of me to impede what could be wonderful lessons in self-reliance for my family.

Between my weakened mental state and crappy notes, I toss anything that resembles my fly-fishing gear into the truck. Thirty minutes into my trip I remember the first thing I forgot and then in my head I hear Bogey chuckling,"numnutz."

So I am resolved to make a decent list that I can take with me on all my trips and not have my dog laugh at me or so I think.

Gear
Rods, Reel, boots, waders, hat, wading belt, gravel guards, and vest/chest pack

Gear in my chest pack:
Flies (seasonal), tippet, extra leader, strike indicator, split shot, thermometer, polarizing sunglasses, forceps, nippers, Gink floatant, Gore-tex rain jacket, headlamp, knife, granola bar, insect repellent, 2x glasses, fishing license, TP in a ziplock bag, sunblock and a water-proof camera

Things I keep in my car:
Maps, GPS, cooler with cold beer and food, extra flies, rod carrier, folding chair, iPod player, fleece jacket, wool socks, extra rod, extra reel, change of clothes, fly-fishing books from Landis and Meck.

Some options:
cigars (keep even more bugs away), matches, wading staff and net

Fly-fishing Packing List PDF

_

Last edited:
Acristickid
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ed, the car salesman: I'll get to the bottom of this. Davenport!

Davenport: Yes, Mr. Ed.

Ed, the car salesman: Mr. Griswold ordered a blue sports wagon, where is it?

Davenport: I don't know sir.

Ed, the car salesman: I know what must have happened. It didn't come in.

Clark Griswald: Ed, I'm not your average everyday fool. Now I want my blue sports wagon and if you can't get it I'm gonna take my business elsewhere! Where's my old car?

Ed, the car salesman: I'm just as upset as you are, believe me.

Davenport! Get Mr. Griswald's car back and bring it back here! Now I can get you the wagon, there's not problem there. The problem is that it might take six weeks. Now, I owe it to myself to tell you that if you're taking the whole tribe cross-country, the Wagon Queen Family Truckster... You think you hate it now, wait 'til you drive it.

Clark Griswald: I don't want to drive it. I just want my old car back. I'm not falling for this. Let's go, Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
Acristickid
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clark Griswald: Ed, I'm not your average everyday fool. Now I want my blue sports wagon and if you can't get it I'm gonna take my business elsewhere! Where's my old car?

Davenport! Get Mr. Griswald's car back and bring it back here! Now I can get you the wagon, there's not problem there. The problem is that it might take six weeks. Now, I owe it to myself to tell you that if you're taking the whole tribe cross-country, the Wagon Queen Family Truckster... You think you hate it now, wait 'til you drive it.

Clark Griswald: I don't want to drive it. I just want my old car back. I'm not falling for this. Let's go, Russ

Acristickid

gulfgreyhound
Looks like it was a fun time. Always good to get out on a stream with good friends.
Nice fish Dave. GG

Last edited:
franklin
Did any of you post a stream report on the trip?

Last edited:
S
Definately some knowledge there between those three. Last time I was there with FishId, he was far more interested in the entomology and heritage of the surrounding area.
The rod stayed in his car.

Last edited:
DaveKile
Squaretail,

Dave has an amazing knowledge of the history of this stream. He really needs to share more about this one and many of the others in the area.

Last edited:
jdaddy
Franklin,
It would seem you are reading it right on the front page, no?

Last edited:
P
WOW! The "Mod Squad" had a day off! Glad they enjoyed not having to read everyone's comments. It looks like they were too busy catching trout to post more pics of their catch.

Last edited:
skybay
Guys.This is nice, thanks for sharing.
What a catch Dave.

Last edited:
lv2nymph
Looks and sounds like you guys had a good day. Congrats, I'll bet it's good to get away from the grind after you work the grind. Thanks for doing what you all do day in day out, hey when you guys are all together and fishin you don't talk bad about us and laugh do ya. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back