Fly Fishing Getting Started - Rods, Reels & Lines Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
In our previous post we discussed the characteristics of a fly rod. The reel is the next important piece of hardware and serves a much different role than with spin casting. With spin casting a reel is the centerpiece to bring in a fish. Not so much with fly-fishing for trout. When fly fishing for trout in PA the reel primarily holds all the line. With larger fish the fly reel plays a greater role in playing and landing the fish.

The finer fly fishing reels are machined from solid bar-stock aluminum. These higher quality reels will last decades. Most cost hundreds of dollars and in some cases are works of engineering marvel.

reel.jpg
Less expensive reels are made from die cast alloys and perform with less precision. There are many fine products in this class that will last the fly angler for years. My old standby Lamson reel is over 20 years old and is still serving me very well.

Several entry-level fly fishing kits provide plastic reels. These plastic reels might be adequate to get familiar with the sport, but don’t necessarily hold up very long.

Aside from a reels defining fit and finish are the materials used in the drag construction. Simpler spring and pawl drags just put a light resistance on the fly line as as it is played off the reel. A higher quality disc drag system provides a smoother, even tension when you apply pressure to the fly line. This can become very important when playing and landing larger fish.

Bigger is not always better, a reel matched for the rod and type of fishing is the way to go. Most trusted manufactures are very clear which reels work best with those criteria.

Our next post gets back to throwing feathers and our fly line.

Acristickid
I like lightweight reels.

For regular PA trout fishing- the reel is little more than something that holds the line.

I have never been into my backing on a trout stream- maybe someday.

Steelhead and Salt- "now for something completely different"

Last edited by a moderator:
Acristickid

For regular PA trout fishing- the reel is little more than something that holds the line.

Acristickid

DaveKile
Acristickid I would agree. I am sure the steelhead fishing guys would jump in that a more sturdy and capable reel is a non-negotiable.

Thanks

Last edited:
DaveKile
Acristickid I would agree. I am sure the steelhead fishing guys would jump in that a more sturdy and capable reel is a non-negotiable.

Thanks

Last edited:
DaveKile

Thanks

Last edited:
turkey
I have a couple reels that don't have all the features of higher end models that work just fine for small stream trout.
I got a new fully machined, large arbor 7/8 weight with a good disc drag this winter, and when i finally landed my first steelhead with it, i couldnt believe how much more in control i felt while playing the fish.
I would recommend spending a little extra on a higher end reel as far as steelhead fishing is concerned. its worth it.

Last edited:
turkey
I have a couple reels that don't have all the features of higher end models that work just fine for small stream trout.
I got a new fully machined, large arbor 7/8 weight with a good disc drag this winter, and when i finally landed my first steelhead with it, i couldnt believe how much more in control i felt while playing the fish.
I would recommend spending a little extra on a higher end reel as far as steelhead fishing is concerned. its worth it.

Last edited:
turkey

Last edited:
turkey
now those are some good looking olives!

but seriously, thanks to all of the guys that host the swaps and thanks to the mods and dkile for giving us a place to have them.

Last edited:
JackM
I participated in a couple early swaps. I was easily the poorest tier in the group. Since then, my interest in fly tying is at an all time low. Thankfully, you guys keep my boxes full by sending me complimentary flies, and I pick up a few here and there, as well as still occasionally tie for myself. I am glad the tradition of organizing these swaps through the message board has expanded and that so many more are getting involved-- and not just because of the complimentary flies :cool:.

Thanks to all the organizers and tyers for helping to make PAFF not only very helpful, but also very much fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back