Float trip recommendation

Garshark572

Garshark572

I am looking to book a float trip in April or May. My fiancé is getting me the trip for my bday. This is only my second spring living in PA so I would love a trip with quality dry fly fishing for wild fish. From doing some googling it looks like the Delaware or Lehigh seems like my best options, but open to hear other suggestions. Any preferred guides/ones to stay away from.

Both are good choices. One is significantly more difficult fishing than the other.

Delaware's trout are as tough as it gets. Lehigh trout are far more user friendly.

If you're looking for a weekend trip on either of those rivers, you should book soon. Weekends are likely pretty full already. Personally, I'd go Delaware of those two.

If you're looking for a weekend trip on either of those rivers, you should book soon. Weekends are likely pretty full already. Personally, I'd go Delaware of those two.
Yea it would be on a weekend. Do you have any other rivers or guides you recommend?

All the shops on the D have decent guides some better than others. I would probably like John Miller or Jeff White of the Delaware River Club on the West Branch
On the Main Delaware I usually float with non guide friends but book one trip every year with Lee Hartman because we are long time friends and Lee likes to fish the middle and lower Main Stem. I never did a guided trip on the Lehigh. Personally I would probably use Nick Raftas. Good guide. Good dude.

Delaware - Ken Tutolo, Ben Rinker, Jeff White

Lehigh - Nick Raftas or any of the guys from wild east outfitters

The rivers mentioned are very different. Delaware is placid and the Lehigh is brawling. You'll see more eagles and a ton of boats on the Delaware. Lehigh might not be quite the same scenery but it is like a western river. You might have more recreational kayaks or rafting depending on the section.

Fished the Delaware system for 35 years. Set your expectations accordingly. Average angler will call a 2-3 fish day a banner day up there and the skunk happens A LOT.

Conversely, had a trip cancel on the Lehigh last spring. Loaded up the dogs and headed to the river. Launched around 2:30, was off the river by 8 and put 47 in the net. Not doing that on the Delaware.

Can't go wrong either way but you better book soon or you will never get a spot
OI0000282
OI0000557

Last edited:
All the shops on the D have decent guides some better than others. I would probably like John Miller or Jeff White of the Delaware River Club on the West Branch
On the Main Delaware I usually float with non guide friends but book one trip every year with Lee Hartman because we are long time friends and Lee likes to fish the middle and lower Main Stem. I never did a guided trip on the Lehigh. Personally I would probably use Nick Raftas. Good guide. Good dude.
I've fished with Nick Raftas several times...Susquehanna & Lehigh......I can recommend his guide service. He works hard to put customers on fish AND he makes a helluva good lunch!

I am looking to book a float trip in April or May. My fiancé is getting me the trip for my bday. This is only my second spring living in PA so I would love a trip with quality dry fly fishing for wild fish. From doing some googling it looks like the Delaware or Lehigh seems like my best options, but open to hear other suggestions. Any preferred guides/ones to stay away from.
If you are looking for a guide for the Lehigh i recommend gravy boat guide service ran by steve. You can email him at GravyboatGS@gmail.com

Full day or half day trips are available. If you saw the multiple day trips, those are specific packages run on specific dates. I believe there's a total of 6 boats / guides available at any given time but things do book quickly so reach out to him by email.

BTW Krayfish2 is not saying it, but he can directly help you on a float trip. I would suggest you contact him directly for some float options in those areas. He is very knowledgeable and he has cool dogs.

Id like to do a full day with Nick on the Susquehanna for smallies. Price is pretty reasonable. I’ll have to give him a call tomorrow. Thinking during the week has more availability?

Thank you Dave. I know enough to be helpful or dangerous 😁.

I have one cool dog and one that's an A Hole. I'd trust Dudley to ride with any person in any boat. Hank, the youngster, can't be trusted to be unattended for more than 5 seconds. I'm dreading the spring boat training with him.

Never take them on guided trips but would bring Dudley if a lone fisherman requested a k-9 companion. Did do a trip for a guy and his BIG pitbull. It was actually pretty cool. He'd fish for an hour or so and then have me pull over so the dog could swim and chase sticks. And we did that all day 👍.

Back