Fishing for Large Brook Trout

Prospector

Prospector

I just watched an episode of the New Fly Fisher today where they targeted large brook trout that maxed out just over 20”. It was at Elk Island Lodge in Manitoba.

I generally target brook trout in PA between 5 and 10 days per year. I’ve enjoyed brook trout fishing since I was a kid in Potter Co. Obviously there is just something special about it. With that said most of my PA fishing is on stocked streams.

My question is to the brookie chasers on this site. The ones that chase brookies more than anything (your favorite fish to catch so you spend at least 50% of your fishing time).

Have you been to a destination like Elk Island Lodge to chase very large brookies? If yes, what was your overall experience? That environment is totally different than a small PA stream with a dense canopy. It’s a big fast river wide ope river. Is the draw the big fish itself or is the environment the real draw?

Do you have no desire to chase large brookies due to the increased chance of killing a large brookie since streamers are the fly of choice to entice these big fish? I fish streamers a lot and unfortunately I kill fish in PA due how deep they inhale it (usually aggressive browns in stained water).

I’m torn if I want to take a trip like the Manitoba show I watched and am interested in people who have lived it and how you feel. I always thought that was on my bucket list but now I’m not so sure.

I'm obsessed with brook trout, but my work/life has prevented me from taking long trips. That's changing a bit now due to some professional changes I've made that have worked out well. I'll be in the Adirondacks pond hopping in May for a week and have trips planned to WV and VA and short trips to MD this year.

The only thing that's deterred me from going north for big brookies is the time required to get there. Well, the cost has factored in too. I'm also more of a DIY type, so the idea of paying a bunch of money for a lodge isn't appealing. I've wanted to do a backcountry trip in Algonquin for a long time, and now that I have a pack canoe (Hornbeck classic 13 in carbon), and have built an ultralight camping kit, I may try to make it happen in the fall this year.

I honestly wouldn't worry about killing a large brook trout in a place like that whether deliberately or accidentally. I'd personally consider harvesting one to eat. I don't think harvesting a fish or a few in a place like that is going to have any impact at all on the fishery.

I'm really curious to hear from folks who have done it as well.

Last edited:
Following.

My question is to the brookie chasers on this site. The ones that chase brookies more than anything (your favorite fish to catch so you spend at least 50% of your fishing time).

Have you been to a destination like Elk Island Lodge to chase very large brookies? If yes, what was your overall experience? That environment is totally different than a small PA stream with a dense canopy. It’s a big fast river wide ope river. Is the draw the big fish itself or is the environment the real draw?

It's part the environment. Yes I like backwoods streams, away from roads and such. It's part the exploration aspect. I don't like fishing the same stream over and over, I love to pick a new one to fish and see what's there, and if you fish 40 different streams a year and try not to hit any/many of them twice, a fair number are just going to be brookie streams. It doesn't mean I won't return to a particularly good one, to see maybe if it fishes differently in vastly different conditions, for instance. But I'll wait a few years.

And it's part just having action and catching fish.

Don't get me wrong I love to catch a good brown trout stream up and flowing good where I can fish all day, or an evening hatch. But when your chance to fish is like at noon-5 p.m. on a bluebird sunny day in July and things aren't particularly high, I'm sorry, I don't have a ton of faith I'm going to do well on your typical larger wild brown trout stream. I'm guessing I'm going to be scratching hard for a fish or two. But I do know some brookie streams that will fish very well. That's why spring and early summer is often bigger water in morning and evening, and brookie streams in the heart of the day.

On smaller water, like is typical with brookie streams, at least 9 months of the year I'll generally be using 95% dry flies. It's just more effective. In this tight spot I might be able to fish the dry from 20 feet away whereas I have to get closer with a nymph. Loops are tighter for overhead stuff, the fly floats around branches and rocks and such in the water, over brushpiles, etc. The name of the game is distance in tight places, not spooking them first, they'll hit anything.

I love brook trout fishing in PA, and also enjoyed fishing Shenandoah Park. I probably won't do one of those guide trips in Canada because: too much money, I don't like guides telling me what to do, and I'd much rather fish a stream than a lake.

But I have been wondering if there are good brookie streams in the Adirondacks. That would be close enough to drive to. I'd like to fish the classic riffle-pool type streams, not the low gradient, muddy alder swamp, mosquito and black fly infested swamp type stream.

I've been wondering the same thing about Canada brookie streams, within reasonable driving distance Quebec maybe?

I love brook trout fishing in PA, and also enjoyed fishing Shenandoah Park. I probably won't do one of those guide trips in Canada because: too much money, I don't like guides telling me what to do, and I'd much rather fish a stream than a lake.

But I have been wondering if there are good brookie streams in the Adirondacks. That would be close enough to drive to. I'd like to fish the classic riffle-pool type streams, not the low gradient, muddy alder swamp, mosquito and black fly infested swamp type stream.

I've been wondering the same thing about Canada brookie streams, within reasonable driving distance Quebec maybe?
Ponds are where it's at in ADK and Algonquin, for that matter. There are brookies in the streams between ponds and a lot of the smaller streams too, but I doubt you're going to find brookies any bigger than what we have around here.

I know some of the streams in Algonquin can produce large (for us) brookies. I've gotten to know quite a few folks in Canada who fish Algonquin a lot and have maps and routes picked out to go. Aside from when the fish are moving (spring/fall) where you can target them in inlets/outflows, it's mostly going to be wetlining or trolling in lakes/ponds.

I realize this is way too vague to act on but some guy I follow on Instagram is located on Prince Edward Island in Canada and is constantly catching 18-20"+ brook trout from a stream that looks like a typical trout stream. Doesn't seem to require a guide but idk what stream access laws are like there.

I realize this is way too vague to act on but some guy I follow on Instagram is located on Prince Edward Island in Canada and is constantly catching 18-20"+ brook trout from a stream that looks like a typical trout stream. Doesn't seem to require a guide but idk what stream access laws are like there.
I've noticed that too. Even looked at PEI's government site about nonresident fishing licenses/requirements and flights. :LOL:

I've noticed that too. Even looked at PEI's government site about nonresident fishing licenses/requirements and flights. :LOL:
That island's not that big. I bet it is figure-outable.

I too am unlikely to do a trip to Labrador and other such places for brookies.

It's not because I wouldn't enjoy it. I would. But I don't have enough money to do a lot of travelling to fish. And while it would be fun, so would cutties in the Rockies somehwere, Patagonia, Alaska, and dozens of other places. None of these are the same experience in any way, shape or form. Because they're brook trout does not make Labrador have any resemblance to Appalachian brook trout fishing. Just like the lake Erie steelhead scene bears little resemblance to catching wild rainbows in the Laurel Highlands. The places, scenery, methods, equipment, etc. are all very different. It's like I say, I love crab, and I love imitation crab. Both good, but they are not the same food at all.... :)

Sarce, your guy on Prince Edward Island is likely fishing for coasters. Sea Run brookies. Like steelhead.

Sarce, your guy on Prince Edward Island is likely fishing for coasters. Sea Run brookies. Like steelhead.
I'm not so sure about that because he has photos from every season, from leafless wet spring to summer full green in a t-shirt to snow on the ground. That said, he also has pics of Atlantic salmon too, and given the layout of the island, maybe the salt is playing a big role in things.

from leafless wet spring to summer full green in a t-shirt to snow on the ground.
They generally come in during the spring following baitfish. Estuaries and lower end of the rivers in April, moving farther up stream throughout the spring and summer. At that latitude, that explains from leafless wet/occasional snow up to t-shirt weather.

They spawn in fall. September/October. I believe the season closes Septemberish to allow the spawning, before the spawn they're likely joined by the salmon. Then back out to the ocean after spawning for the winter, though some just stay.

Rainbows, salmon, and browns are in those same waters. The resident fish run small, and can be found alongside the sea run fish with a clear size discrepancy (there aren't many medium sized fish). They can be found throughout all flowing waters on the island at all times, but of course, the experts will figure out where and when the greater concentrations are.

Rob, I've never fished Canada for BIG brookies, but if I were to venture up there, I'd probably fish Gods River/Lake in Manitoba. It's big water though. I've watched videos from there and the size of the trout boggles the mind. A 5lb brook trout isn't unusual at all. Mouse patterns are the norm for these big trout. It's strictly C&R fishing.

I primarily fish for natives, but do chase wild browns as well, just not as often. I prefer the solitude and relatively unspoiled remoteness of native brookie streams here in Pa. These trout are pretty much unpressured as well. That's the experience I really enjoy.

I've found it to be a numbers thing regarding catching bigger natives. My records show I need to catch roughly 100 trout before I catch one in the 10"-11" range. This size can be achieved more quickly on a couple streams I fish though. Each year I try to better my best native @13.5". I'm fairly certain a couple streams I fish have them that size and bigger. I'll keep trying until my body tells me otherwise.

What's not to love? :)

Attachments

• IMG_0038(Edited) (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0038(Edited) (Custom).jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1436 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1436 (Custom).jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

I've never really wanted to go to Canada "Brookie Chasing." The Southern Tier of New York has drawn my attention as of late. This YouTube video certainly caught my attention:

As I understand it the Southern Tier begins just north of the NY/PA border.

I've never really wanted to go to Canada "Brookie Chasing." The Southern Tier of New York has drawn my attention as of late. This YouTube video certainly caught my attention:

As I understand it the Southern Tier begins just north of the NY/PA border.
Same here. I have a list of places based on "insider" info to try out this year. Since I've self-imposed abstinence from fishing in PA this year, I plan on hitting a few of those spots in southern NY this year too.

Same here. I have a list of places based on "insider" info to try out this year. Since I've self-imposed abstinence from fishing in PA this year, I plan on hitting a few of those spots in southern NY this year too.
Hey, please take me with you. I'll drive, cook, wash dishes and bring a six of your favorite beverage?

Hey, please take me with you. I'll drive, cook, wash dishes and bring a six of your favorite beverage?
I've been sworn to secrecy. :LOL:

I spent the first two years of my fly fishing journey obsessed with brook trout. I looked for them locally and abroad PA. First it was finding wild ones on my own, then it was finding the prettiest one, and ultimately ended with trying to find the biggest brook trout I could in Pennsylvania. And i checked all those goals off.

I think the draw to Elk Island Lodge is the fact they have above average size brook trout not the scenery. I want to get out and fish more and would be open to the idea of traveling for trout in general so I see the allure to big brookies. Any trip that I get to fish is an awesome trip though. My work and lifestyle keeps me from being able to travel to far from home without some serious planning. ( I generally stay within 3 hours Of Gettysburg) I think with proper planning and a goal in hand, you may be able to find what your looking for closer to home than you think.

Still being relatively new to fly fishing, I got my first tastes of chasing Brookies last year.

I fished ponds in the Adirondacks with a few friends using canoes and kayaks. It was a lot of fun (and paddling). Some of the guys caught nice size brook trout trolling a streamer.

I spent a few days at Grants Camps in the Rangeley area of Maine. I really enjoyed the remote old time camp feel of the place. Wifi-less cabins, 3 nice meals a day at the dining hall, and so quiet at night. It had both river fishing and lake fishing (you have your own boat on your dock) and you dont need a guide....just have a conversation with the owner and he will tell you where to go.

I didnt catch any big brook trout, but I was stuck in my dry fly mentality and not wanting to fish streamers. When I get to do this all again this year, I will change my tactics (although I still want to dry fly fish). So cool to watch a little brookie slam a fly half its size.

I didnt catch any big brook trout, but I was stuck in my dry fly mentality and not wanting to fish streamers. When I get to do this all again this year, I will change my tactics (although I still want to dry fly fish). So cool to watch a little brookie slam a fly half its size.
You could fish wet flies.

Back