Fishing Creek Columbia county (upper stretches)

I'm very surprised that you caught browns in Sullivan Branch. That seems like a very infertile stream. I've caught brookies from the mouth up to Sullivan Falls.

Above Sullivan Falls, I tried a few times, and never caught or saw a fish. Has anyone caught fish above Sullivan Falls?

No. Though I’ve never fished Sullivan above the falls. If they’re not present above the falls, meaning they were extirpated previously, and have repopulated from below up to the falls, this would be an excellent candidate for reseeding them (Brookies only) above the falls. The water quality can’t be any significance of different immediately above and immediately below the falls.

They’re (Brookies) in Heberly (which has numerous impassable waterfalls) as far up as I’ve fished it. Well past the confluence with Quinn Run.

But on the West Branch, and many of the tribs, that is not the limiting factor. There are wild browns in the West Branch, and in its tributary that runs along the road. Where there are wild browns, that is not severely acidified water. It also has other tribs with decent brook trout populations. Poor physical habitat from historical stream alterations affects all these streams. And on the West Branch, stocking of hatchery trout limits wild trout populations. Stocking takes place way up into the SGLs.
i agree, while i have personally not caught any wild browns up in SGL 13 I have caught some really good brook trout, and have seen some great sized fish.

Good to know they’re already there in the EB. Shows you that it too probably isn’t limited by acidic water, or if so, only marginally. There’s definitely less Browns over there than the WB though, where they are very common. Good thing Sullivan and Heberly have those barriers.
looking at the stream, I saw an extremely low amount of macros in the stream, almost to the point of sterility.

No. Though I’ve never fished Sullivan above the falls. If they’re not present above the falls, meaning they were extirpated previously, and have repopulated from below up to the falls, this would be an excellent candidate for reseeding them (Brookies only) above the falls. The water quality can’t be any significance of different immediately above and immediately below the falls.
i was fishing above falls, no cigar for me, beautiful area, but very little macros

i was fishing above falls, no cigar for me, beautiful area, but very little macros

Yeah. Same. I flipped a bunch of rocks in Heberly and basically nothing.

There’s definitely bugs (and Browns) in the WB though. From just below the confluence with Shingle Mill…

2910489E 780C 4C75 AC40 9751C4958A33

Went back through my notes from that day, the last time I fished it - 07/17/21. My recollection was catching mostly Browns, but it was actually closer to 50/50 Browns/Brookies, and one stocker Brown that I harvested. Fished from the gate to Shingle Mill. Fish pictured was the last pic I took in chronological order that day, so it had to be fairly close to the Shingle Mill confluence, demonstrating there’s Browns fairly high up in the main stem of the WB.

Last edited:
Went back through my notes from that day, the last time I fished it - 07/17/21. My recollection was catching mostly Browns, but it was actually closer to 50/50 Browns/Brookies, and one stocker Brown that I harvested. Fished from the gate to Shingle Mill. Fish pictured was the last pic I took in chronological order that day, so it had to be fairly close to the Shingle Mill confluence, demonstrating there’s Browns fairly high up in the main stem of the WB.
you take notes when you are fishing? honestly pretty interesting, I go out to escape from life rather than continue working (I am studying to be an environmental engineer).

anyway, I have spent more time in the west branch higher up than that, gotten some nice brook trout. I have fished lower on the main stem and caught many brown trout below 118.

the east branch is definitely in much worse shape than the west branch, not surprising looking at Bowmans creek and the proximity and the issue that it has. Most likely due to the mountour ppl power plant that will be going to LNG soon.

you take notes when you are fishing? honestly pretty interesting, I go out to escape from life rather than continue working (I am studying to be an environmental engineer).

anyway, I have spent more time in the west branch higher up than that, gotten some nice brook trout. I have fished lower on the main stem and caught many brown trout below 118.

the east branch is definitely in much worse shape than the west branch, not surprising looking at Bowmans creek and the proximity and the issue that it has. Most likely due to the mountour ppl power plant that will be going to LNG soon.

Not while fishing, just when I get home. Mostly so I can track how a stream fishes or if its population of fish or species breakdown is changing over time.

Bowmans is doing better than people think too. If Brown Trout showing up further and further upstream and into smaller tribs is a sign a stream is recovering, then Bowmans is recovering. I’ll leave it at that.

Last edited:
the east branch is definitely in much worse shape than the west branch, not surprising looking at Bowmans creek and the proximity and the issue that it has.
What are your thoughts on upper Bowmans Creek (from the lower SGL boundary to the headwaters?

When I first fished there, no stocking was done in that whole upper section. We caught native brookies all through there, including upstream from the upper pond. It was clearly infertile, but fertile enough to support native brook trout. And in the lower part of the SGLs, it's a fairly large stream, by brook trout stream standards. We didn't have sensational fishing, but it was not too shabby, and it was fun to catch them in a scenic and fairly large stream.

Then someone began liming the tributaries. And stocking upper Bowmans Creek. Very disappointing.

The problem in that upper section is not really acidity. The problem is that some club is stocking it. Or at least they were. I haven't fished there since I saw all those stockies.

What are your thoughts on upper Bowmans Creek (from the lower SGL boundary to the headwaters?

When I first fished there, no stocking was done in that whole upper section. We caught native brookies all through there, including upstream from the upper pond. It was clearly infertile, but fertile enough to support native brook trout. And in the lower part of the SGLs, it's a fairly large stream, by brook trout stream standards. We didn't have sensational fishing, but it was not too shabby, and it was fun to catch them in a scenic and fairly large stream.

Then someone began liming the tributaries. And stocking upper Bowmans Creek. Very disappointing.

The problem in that upper section is not really acidity. The problem is that some club is stocking it. Or at least they were. I haven't fished there since I saw all those stockies.
so i have never done particularly great in the main stem of bowmans, I am not sure if It was me, or the spots i have fished (one which i did good)

the stocking is really a shame, i only know of the state stocking the upper section there, the noxen sportsman club puts fish in intown but not up as far as i know.

the stream is absolutely beautiful and has seen an increase in wild trout, i personally think it is a disgrace that it gets stocked, i have seen some good brook trout caught in the stream, and have caught a few.

it does have lack of habitat in spots that was made much worse after the 2011 floods, but i have fished sections that looked "absolutely fishy" and did not do so hot, it definitely seems to be on or off.

the tribs i have done quite well in a few of them though.

It's funny. I live in one of the best regions of PA for fly fishing, and I often find myself wishing I lived closer to that region. I've only fished in that area one time, and it was with fishjake (edit> sorry. my brain is a bit fuzzy. You weren't there that day). :) I know it has its issues (that's an understatement I know), but it's got some "interesting" streams as well. I have a soft spot for obscure, overlooked, "sleeper" streams though.

Last edited:
I fish upper Bowmans quite a bit and have never caught any browns above the stocked waters, thankfully only brookies.

In the lower section (downstream of Noxen) I have caught some browns which I suspect are wild. A few which were quite large. They stock brookies in the fall in the lower section which doesn't seem like a good idea with the problems they have had with gill lice from hatcheries. Every now and then I'll catch a small native in the lower section but it's not common.

I fish upper Bowmans quite a bit and have never caught any browns above the stocked waters, thankfully only brookies.

In the lower section (downstream of Noxen) I have caught some browns which I suspect are wild. A few which were quite large. They stock brookies in the fall in the lower section which doesn't seem like a good idea with the problems they have had with gill lice from hatcheries. Every now and then I'll catch a small native in the lower section but it's not common.
Is stocking still occurring in the Gamelands?

When we were there, it was loaded up with hatchery brook trout. My understanding was that this was club stocking, not PFBC stocking.

Is stocking still occurring in the Gamelands?

When we were there, it was loaded up with hatchery brook trout. My understanding was that this was club stocking, not PFBC stocking.
The PFBC stocks a section just at the start of the gamelands near sugar run. I'm not sure what they stock supposed to be browns, I've never bothered fishing that section. I haven't run into stocked trout above that area. In the fall they are scheduled to stock browns in the FFO section but they have been stocking brook trout so who knows what they are stocking up there.

Honestly I kind of like the idea of hitting those upper stocked sections and keeping some fish.

Last edited:
It's funny. I live in one of the best regions of PA for fly fishing, and I often find myself wishing I lived closer to that region. I've only fished in that area one time, and it was with fishjake (edit> sorry. my brain is a bit fuzzy. You weren't there that day). :) I know it has its issues (that's an understatement I know), but it's got some "interesting" streams as well. I have a soft spot for obscure, overlooked, "sleeper" streams though.
must of been eating those $8 chicken fingers and that slipped out lol!

Agreed, I love sleeper streams that people don't know about, as you know that one you fished can be AMAZING!

sad part is because they are often overlooked they get put off as stockie only streams, or not worthy of wild trout protection, is really sad.

i concur with what you are finding, you have no idea how many farmers ETC stock there own fish in the stream, like everyone with property does it, really sad.

East branch fishin' creek report linked below and very complete. Describes acidity issues and notes that some heberly headwaters land area was treated with limestone (page 3-12): "The PSU Forestry Department is currently investigating the benefits of land application liming in the northern headwaters of Heberly Run. From May 2006 through August 2006 the Regenerator (see Section 4) was utilized to apply dolomitic limestone to approximately 100 acres at a rate of 4 tons/acre."

I caught just a few brookies just above sullivan falls 10? years ago. There are acidity issues there but also featureless flat bedrock based pools, which as mike recently noted in the slateford thread in fly fishin locations forum here, are not good for fish #s. See early minutes of video linked below after they go above sullivan falls:

Mike: ""Extensive bedrock makes for great scenery, nice falls and chutes, but lousy habitat if one is seeking a high density of fish."

Last edited:
East branch fishin' creek report linked below and very complete. Describes acidity issues and notes that some heberly headwaters land area was treated with limestone (page 3-12): "The PSU Forestry Department is currently investigating the benefits of land application liming in the northern headwaters of Heberly Run. From May 2006 through August 2006 the Regenerator (see Section 4) was utilized to apply dolomitic limestone to approximately 100 acres at a rate of 4 tons/acre."

I caught just a few brookies just above sullivan falls 10? years ago. There are acidity issues there but also featureless flat bedrock based pools, which as mike recently noted in the slateford thread in fly fishin locations forum here, are not good for fish #s. See early minutes of video linked below after they go above sullivan falls:

Mike: ""Extensive bedrock makes for great scenery, nice falls and chutes, but lousy habitat if one is seeking a high density of fish."
Thank you for that report, i had not found that before, I am compiling a large amount of data to read through after school ends here this week, I found some great habitat above the falls but no fish, maybe it is just hard with no hab above and below.

I have the coldwater heritage plan already but thank you.

West Creek has some nice falls right after it flows under 118. Not much water but still pretty cool!

Back