First time on the Yough

brandozer317

brandozer317

Headed to the Yough soon for the first time. This will be a bit more of a scouting mission than anything. Planned on starting by the dam and working down.

How much trouble will I have wading? Is it worth it to go not on a boat? Any info for this first timer would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I can't give you much advice on the fishing - I usually have poor to middlin luck there.
One thing I will say is if you wade up near confluence or above take a wading staff - not because it is tough wading but the water is so cold my legs were numb after about 2 hrs and that made it a bit tough getting back to the bank. And that was in August last year.

Easier wading and access from dam down to Ramcat. Wading can be an issue mostly from Ramcat down. Depending on flows. Boating it a good option but biking and wade fishing is good also.

If you go when the flow is under 1,000 CFS, wading should be OK.

They do release more water from the dam for the raft trips on weekends - starting friday evening, and cutting back again sunday evening.
So keep that in mind too.

I like bike fishing, because I can move up and down the stream at my convenience.
And stay at some favorite spots until dark - where as when floating, you want to finish the run while its still daylight

They do release more water from the dam for the raft trips on weekends - starting friday evening, and cutting back again sunday evening.

I like bike fishing, because I can move up and down the stream at my convenience.
And stay at some favorite spots until dark - where as when floating, you want to finish the run while its still daylight
how far do you bike down to? I have been looking into getting a bike so i can fish down below ram cat on the trail.. walking that trail with my waders is rough on some days

I've biked and caught fish along the whole stretch between Confluence and Ohiopyle.
And - water temps permitting - below that all the way down to Connellsville.

I don't like biking with waders on either.
I carry them in paper boy baskets attached to the back of my bike
And put them on when I get to where I want to fish.
Lot more enjoyable experience IMO

I've biked and caught fish along the whole stretch between Confluence and Ohiopyle.
And - water temps permitting - below that all the way down to Connellsville.

I don't like biking with waders on either.
I carry them in paper boy baskets attached to the back of my bike
And put them on when I get to where I want to fish.
Lot more enjoyable experience IMO
How far do you think it would take to bike from ramcat to ohiopyle without fishing? I get worried about doing a trip like that by myself incase I were to ever fall in.. I have a hard time wading ramcat even when it is low

Its 9 miles from Confluence to Ohiopyle
Ive never really done it straight thru without fishing.
I'm no speed cycler for sure.
And it takes me about a half hour to do 4 miles.
So, I'm guessing that stretch would take me at least an hour or more hour or more

As for wading, there are some deep rocky sections that would be tough at any level.
But also some wide shallow spots that aren't tough at all.
Just like anywhere else, you need to know your limits and be careful

Which gauge to use? I see one at the dam and one below Confluence.

Below Confluence.
And that's usually the same as the Ohiopyle gauge.

The gauge at the dam measures the flow in the short section from the dam to the Confluence with the Casselman. And will be less CFS - usually 400 - 600 is good there.

I almost always fish below the Casselman junction.

Its 9 miles from Confluence to Ohiopyle
Ive never really done it straight thru without fishing.
I'm no speed cycler for sure.
And it takes me about a half hour to do 4 miles.
So, I'm guessing that stretch would take me at least an hour or more hour or more

As for wading, there are some deep rocky sections that would be tough at any level.
But also some wide shallow spots that aren't tough at all.
Just like anywhere else, you need to know your limits and be careful
i have only gone down to the islands and walked it but below the islands is it a mix of water such as flat pools and riffles? i love nymphing the yough but i try to find water that is so much flat but runs and rocks

There is a big pool below those islands - about 3 miles down from Ramcat.
Then the rest of the way down to Ohiopyle consists of typical riffles and smaller pools
All worth exploring IMO

There is a big pool below those islands - about 3 miles down from Ramcat.
Then the rest of the way down to Ohiopyle consists of typical riffles and smaller pools
All worth exploring IMO
sounds good all i needed to hear i’ll be checking it out then thank you

Back