Favorite Fly Rods

M

Matt_Geiman

I've been looking (dreaming, cause I can't afford any) at new fly rods, and I'm curious what have been your favorite fly rods for trout fishing in PA? Do you choose rods that help you catch the most fish for your scenario (best tool for the job), or are there other reasons you like fishing a particular rod? Look forward to you responses!

I've been looking (dreaming, cause I can't afford any) at new fly rods, and I'm curious what have been your favorite fly rods for trout fishing in PA? Do you choose rods that help you catch the most fish for your scenario (best tool for the job), or are there other reasons you like fishing a particular rod? Look forward to you responses!
For me, it’s all about how it feels in the hand, how it reacts to your casting stroke, and versatility. You can catch a lot of different fish fairly easily with a 5 or 6 weight - not so much with a 3 or an 8 setup. A 3 is nice for panfish and even larger trout - but can’t always handle heavy winds or current assisted fish on larger rivers. An 8 is a great size for larger fish in heavier current like steelhead or smallmouth and is a top choice for throwing bass bugs - even salt water! I wouldn’t use an 8 trying to present a small dry on a spring creek though. Everyone seems to gravitate to the 5 as an all around trout stick - they’re not wrong - however, a light (3 ounces) 6 can do anything a 5 can do - but not vice versa IMO. Views expressed are my own based on my experience.

Attachments

• 68361EE1-F825-4209-BA2E-3B35126A5310.jpeg
    68361EE1-F825-4209-BA2E-3B35126A5310.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 24
  • DC6A4111-A838-4076-A0F2-51DBF4DCDE4D.jpeg
    DC6A4111-A838-4076-A0F2-51DBF4DCDE4D.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 24
I've never really been able to quantify what makes a rod "great" for me. I've had some pretty good rods and presently have Sage, Orvis and Winston among others, but the one that's a rock star for me right now is a Midwest Custom Fly Rods 7' 3-weight "Brookie Special" fiberglass rod that I had built. It probably fishes more like a 4-weight than a 3 and I really wish it was 8' long, but I positively love how this rod has been fishing of late.

Freshwater Rods include:
9ft 4wt Taylor Truth Z
9ft 5wt Asquith
9ft 6wt Epic 690G
9ft 6wt Taylor Anomoly Z

I use others from time to time but these are my core favorites. I fish large rivers most of the time. I am looking at some Stickman models in 8 to 8 1/2 lengths. Other moderately priced rods will catch as many fish however, the casting experience is just not the same.

Probably my sweetest rod is the 8.5 ft 5 wt Sage SLT. It's easier to fall in love with a 8.5 ft rod than a 9 ft. I have a Helios 1 ; Mif-4wt and 3 mid-5wt. and they excellent rods. I fish a 5wt Trout line on the 4 wt and it is unconsciously sweet for me. The Sage and Hellios 1 are just unconscious for me.

I only fish rods that I make myself 😀 now so I can’t really pick a maker for you. But I always like Sage and still own an RPLX 790 and a 590 and a Loomis 10’ 9wt. If I was to start from new I would go with an older Sage 9’ 4 wt. and then go down in length from there depending on the stream, canopy and size.

My all-time favorite was a 8'7" Sage Light Line in 3 weight. Medium action. Bought in the late 80's. A couple guides in Montana agreed with me. But it broke twice (after about 20 years) and I didn't get it repaired after the second episode. There was no life-time warranty back then. I guess they have a new LL series but I dont want to spend $900 for it and it probably wouldn't be the same anyway.

I like a slower rod and have a bunch of cheap fiberglass Cabelas CGR series. My favorite for small-mid sized streams is the 6'4" 4 weight. Throws a perfect loop and shoots a mile. Lists at $79 but I bought mine for $39-49 when on sale.

My all-time favorite was a 8'7" Sage Light Line in 3 weight. Medium action. Bought in the late 80's. A couple guides in Montana agreed with me. But it broke twice (after about 20 years) and I didn't get it repaired after the second episode. There was no life-time warranty back then. I guess they have a new LL series but I dont want to spend $900 for it and it probably wouldn't be the same anyway.

I like a slower rod and have a bunch of cheap fiberglass Cabelas CGR series. My favorite for small-mid sized streams is the 6'4" 4 weight. Throws a perfect loop and shoots a mile. Lists at $79 but I bought mine for $39-49 when on sale.
That LL 389 is one that’s been tempting me but yeah, it’s hard to justify that much for a rod.

I like medium or medium fast rods - length and line weight based on the flies and stream size. Sometimes I'll fish an old rod for sentimental reasons. I inherited a couple of my dad's fly rods a few years ago. Took his favorite rod out for sentimental reasons and had a nice day with it. Some karma - I've seen him catch a ton of fish with that rod - a blem fenwick blank he made around 1980.

I have a steffen glass that is really nice, a 40 year old fenwick HMG, a couple old sages that do well in PA. All of these were built from blanks so if you want a nice rod cheaper than a factory made rod try making one up from a blank - there are lots of online tutorials and probably someone near by that can help. If you are a veteran project healing waters sometimes does rod building.
I have recently been impressed with the north fork composites rod blanks - copmpany owned by Gary Loomis and if you look up the "classic" fly rod blanks (2 piece) these are supposed to be tapered like the old Loomis IMX/GLX rods - spectacular rods designed by steve rajeff in the 90s. right now they are having a sale and you can get a 2 pc blank for around $95 with tax and free shipping. decent components will add about another $60 or so. The rods fish and feel like some really good brand name rods. I had no trouble fishing green drakes and landing an 18"er a couple weeks ago with one of their 9' 6 wt classic fly blanks.

I love my original Fenwick FF806 with SA system 6 reel, which I bought new in 1976, I like slow to medium action rods, so after my FF806 it is my South Bend Bamboo 290 6wt has been my other rod that I take out a lot. Then my Fenwick FF856 and FF756, I also have a Allen 9’ 3wt rod & reel that I got back around 2005 that I used about 3 or 4 times and 3 rods 8 wt.+ that I got when I lived in Washington state for steelhead fishing, but haven’t used since 2007 and that I should get rid of. I might have 1 or 2 that I can’t remember but they must be 6 wts because at one time that is all I would buy.

Small trout streams - Sage LL 473

Large trout streams - Sage Trout LL 590

Saltwater - Sage Igniter 691, 890, 1090 (1090 snapped at the butt on a tarpon this year, so its spot in the quiver is up for grabs).

I prefer a trout rod that you can progressively get into the power, yet it's hard to overpower. I like a trout rod that will throw weighted nymphs or dry flies without compromising.

Because I don't really do the tight-line nymphing thing or fish big water using Spey techniques, I choose the rod most suited to the size of the body of water I am fishing (think length), wind conditions (think line weight) and the size flies I intend to toss (again line weight).

I am fortunate I have a lot to choose from so for trout, that can be rods from 5'0" to 9'0", line weights 2 - 7, made of bamboo, glass or graphite and exclusively medium action.

For warmwater I prefer 9'0" rods, line weights 6 - 8 made of graphite and usually fast action.

If I had to pick one trout rod for PA realizing I would be compromised at some really tight spots, it would be 8'0" long and throw a 4 or 5 wt line. I have that size rod in bamboo, glass & graphite so I'd pick whatever suited my fancy on a particular day.

Warmwater is a lot easier with the anticipated fly size to be fished the determining factor in my line weight choice.

I refuse to purchase expensive store bought rods. If I'm spending that kind of money I'm getting something custom made (I build my own) that often performs or even out performs the store bought models with a much better artistic look.

Attachments

• IMG_20210725_122036_612.jpg
    IMG_20210725_122036_612.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200328_131010.jpg
    20200328_131010.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 18
  • FB_IMG_1586807669954.jpg
    FB_IMG_1586807669954.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220425_195730[1].jpg
    20220425_195730[1].jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210417_202628.jpg
    20210417_202628.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20201113_093526.jpg
    20201113_093526.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20180408_221731.jpg
    20180408_221731.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 22
I have several more expensive rods but the two I fish most often are a Redington CT 8'6" 4 weight and a Cabela's CGR 7/8. The CT is such a sweet rod that can be picked up for only $100. I actually have 3 CT's, but that 8'6" is the sweet spot. And the cheap glass Cabela's rod has been serving me well for smallies for almost a decade. I think I paid $50 for it. Like I said, I have "better and more expensive" rods, but those two are pretty fun.

A few years ago my wife bought me an Orvis Heilos (F model) in 4wt. It's been one of my favorite rods to cast and it's very helpful in being on target with a cast.

I likely would never have bought it for myself, but now that I have it I won't give it back!

I'm a big fan of Hardy, always have been so I'm a bit biased but, I've fished a lot of different rods over the years and I keep coming back to Hardy so... something to be said I suppose!

Nymphing: Hardy Ultralite LL 10'8 0-2wt

Dry-fly rods: Hardy Zepherus 9'0 4wt
Hardy Zepherus 8'3 3wt - for smaller waters
T&T LPS 9'0 5wt for bigger water, out west

Lake rod: Loomis GLX 10'0 5wt & 10'0 6wt
I use these for streamer fishing too, warm or cold water.

Used a Hardy Zenith 9ft 5wt for about 14 years. I now use a 9ft 5wt Asquith. The Zenith remains my backup and is a really nice rod in its own right, I test casted a 4wt Hardy U NSX and it is superb. Crostin is really designing great rods.

My favorite is a 10' 9 wt douglas lrs for salmon.

I also like my uncles old cane rod ca 1950 of unknown lineage 6'9" ( broken tip????) That at casts a 5 wt fairly well. Only use it during late spring evenings when dry fly activity is expected. More nostalgic than functional but cherish every fish caught with it.

Utility rod is a Douglas LRS 10' 3wt. Euro nymphs very well, and when switching reel spools to a WF3F, can cast dry flies as good as most.

Here is one of my all time favorites. It's a Sage VT2 9 Ft. 6 weight. I use it here in Pa. and also took it several times to Colorado to fish the South Platte river when my son was a cadet at the U.S. Air Force Academy. Here is a 20" class Cutthroat/Rainbow mix from there.

Attachments

• IMG_0263 (3).JPG
    IMG_0263 (3).JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 23
Small water rod - sage 7'9" 3 wt that I got in 84

Med water - St Croix legend elite 9' 5 wt

Big water - Hardy zenith and sage method 9' 5 wt

Back