Eve. pan fish session

V

Van_Cleaver

Took the kayak back to a spot where I had absolutely hammered big gills on Sun. with my spinning gear, though I released all. Modified a Scotty fly rod holder with some pvc pipe so this time I was a little more excited.

The rod holder worked fine but my gill hot spot had turned to crappie city. Took me a little while to realized almost every hit was on the drop or a long pause. Then it was steady on.

I fished from about 6-8 or so and around sunset I got into some really nice gills; every one was over eight and put a nice bend in my rod. Kept one crappie and seven nice gills; enough for two good meals for my wife and me. If you like catching pan fish on a fly rod now is a good time for it.

Yep - it's prime time for panfish on a fly rod right now.

Sadly when I talked to a fly fisherman who was wading he did really well too. Sad only in the fact that I schlepped my kayak there and back and paddled almost the entire length of a decent sized lake. The flip side is nobody bothered me or encroached on my space and I got some more experience paddling.

When I get a chance I've been fishing the local lake in the eve. (about once a week) Usually I start around 7 or 7:30 and fish til dark. Some nights are great and sometimes mostly small gills and crappies. Last night they started really rising right at dark and it was a blast despite missing way more than were hooked.

Despite being 7 min. away from the lake I have been using a two rod system to maximize my time. Since I am wade fishing the truck is usually only a few min. away. Typically I start with a Bugger type fly and an ant dropper. As the light goes I usually switch to a smallish foam popper sometimes with a dropper. Both rods are rigged and leaning through the slider window in my cab so the change is pretty seamless and offers an opportunity to re hydrate. Additionally wading in nylon shorts makes getting in and out a breeze. A towel on the front seat and good to go!

Back