Dry Flies to tie for Spring 2022

W

WTDoc

Good morning everyone. I have gotten back into fly fishing seriously this year. With that, i have also begun to tie my own flies and am really enjoying it. Mostly i have tied standard nymphs (Walts, Frenchies etc) along with wooly buggers, egg patterns, squirmy's, midges, mops and green weenies. Im looking to expand my tying and fishing to dries. I fish primarily in SE PA so im looking for 5 dry patterns that i should start tying to get ready for spring fishing. Recommendations?

I always carry these:

-BWOs
-Light Cahills/light Hendricksons/something sulphur-ish
-elk hair caddis
-caddis stimulator
-small black ants

WTDoc,

Welcome back to FFing. . . and welcome to fly tying, the best part of the sport.

I'll second hooker's list above. ^
Many of these patterns will be useful year round, especially if you have some in smaller sizes. Since you're getting started in tying, stick with larger patters - think size #14 and up. Bugs in springtime tend to be larger. As summer and fall roll around, the insects tend to be smaller - think #16 and smaller (or very small, #20 and smaller).

As you pick up skill at tying these, you will be ready to tie more of 'em in smaller sizes later next year.

LaFontaine Sparkle Emerger

SEPA as in SEPA stocked streams?

If so, I'd whip up some Adams, a Humpy or three and some Griffiths Gnats.

FWIW - A few years back I was fishing the WB of Chester Creek on a nostalgia trip and came upon a pod of fish that wanted nothing BUT midges.

Elk hair caddis, size 16

Sulphur comparadun, size 16

Rusty spinner size 16

Deer hair ant, size 12

Humpies, Adams , Brown Elkhair Caddis , brown & cream sparkle duns , foam ants ( black & cinnamon) and rusty spinner....... sizes #14 & #18's

While I do not routinely fish that part of the state I think if you plan on doing any fishing in the next 3-4 months I'd have some kind of midge pattern(s) on my list.

I usually start my season again in late february/early march.
Catching fish mainly on midges and BWO's then again

So those are the first things on my tying list that get addressed when I start tying again - which will be soon now.

After that, I move on to quill gordons, hendricksons, and grannoms.

Then on to march browns, gray fox, and sulphers

The humpy mentions here and in the dry/dropper thread got me interested - not a fly I've fished - but I just did a quick survey of YouTube recipes and they look like a pain in the butt.

Do you folks go all out with moose/elk/double hackle etc.? Foam back versions seemed maybe more accessible for a tyer of my... um... "skill" level? What's good?

(Fwiw, I also still buy my stimulators)

12 Adams/Hendrickson for spring hatches
16 tan sparkle dun - OK with sulphurs or tan caddis
14 Parachute Lt Cahill
16 rusty spinner
18 round hackle rusty spinner - my first shot when fish are taking small stuff I can't see well

X-caddis 12-18
Sulphur 14-18
Rusty spinner 12-20
Olives 16-20
Midge 20-22

That selection will work 95% of the time on 95% of fish

Spring-----Little black stonefly, blue quill, Quill Gordon, Red Quill, Black Midge!

Good luck.

Here is the best tip. Go fishing. Spring will be over as fast as it arrived.

A very overlooked fly------Dark Hendrickson--12 to 20!

Numbers of fish to this pattern!

See you on the stream!

Maxima12

You know numbers does not always make the trip. The trip all starts with a friend or two. How about that trip--- a good one!.

Pa., any stream. only 15 minutes away. You spend lots of time on the screen. I see your concrete smile and plastic eyes! Guess it is good for you!

Smell Pa. a smoke, a chicken, a hot dog or burger. Never stay home again. Save it, your life. I read so many are gone from not saving the life!

Rock and roll! Stealin-----Uriah Heep!

Maxima12

Let me put a little perk here! Or a pest in your boot! It all starts one way-----Jesus----- then the next best------T. U. T.U. and Jesus have a little in common------------------Miracles!

Maxima12

Also, do not forget, Little Brown Stonefly, Black Stonefly, size 10 and 12, Black Caddis, 14 and 16, Black Quill size 14, Blue dun, size 14, 16 and the best of all ----------Hendrickson's-------both dark and pink-----male , female.

Dark is the secret springtime fly. I generally fish 10 and 2 o clock.

Seems over the years, this is the right time.

Do not forget Grannom Caddis. Somewhere along the line, your gonna meet up. Assorted sizes. Big and tasty to sweet tidbits,

This season will be hard to figure ? All going on and prices --Sky High--. Since i tie my own flies, make my own leaders, found a spot for cheap lunch meat, cheap drinks---I would say about $20.00 for a 10 mile round trip.

For those that have to buy flies, buy leaders, get gas, buy a sandwhich and drink. $60.00 or more.

I see 2022 as a hard year for flyfishers, who relay on retail! One's that have Yachts ---no deal. one's that have knot's, takes a little time to untangle! Knot of life, how tight it is, takes years to loose that knot.

Another spring, i like that, I wish all a better Spring. Spring, when all that is dead comes back to bloom again.

Thank God, for what you call---Pellet heads-----I call them "Stream Gold".

You know----i can go all over Pa. for $30.00 and some change. Thanks to Pa. Fish Commission and Game Commission. A gift, i appreciate. Think about it? A gift of a lifetime! Thank you!

Maxima12

I know there are mayfly hatches in SE PA, I've seldom run into them. There always seem to be caddis and midges. My three go to flies for the spring are
CDC and Elk(deer hair) tied on size 12 to 16 TMC 2488. Body color gray or olive. Wing is tied with hair from a deer's mask
One of my midge patterns, sort of an emerger. Tied on a size 20 TMC 2488
Soft hackle, Bead Head PT Nymph, size 12 to 18. Colors- Natural, Olive, Dark Brown or Black

A good all around fly that I use is a simple to tie bead head soft hackle. I tie 'em a lot with Fluorescent Orange bead heads. They imitate nothing yet, anything. I tie sizes 12, 14, 16. Some with tails....some not. Pheasant tails with opposite wrap wire.....4 wraps of peacock heart, and then a few wraps of Partridge soft hackle. Whip finish and a dab of head cement.

I fish 'em down to the "just out of my sight" depths and use a small strike indicator. Just having fun!!!

Back