Dealing with rude fishermen?

Thats a buzz kill. Kid was reflecting his upbringing Probably will keep doing it untill sombody his age gives him a reality check.....if the father was able to teach his son to fish then he should of taught him some etiquette on the water. But somtimes the nut dont fall far from the tree ....other thought ? Perhaps the young guy doesnt get any attention from dad ,seen you fishing and was trying to impress upon you his “ knowledge of fishing “ when kids are in the equation its a fickle moment and probably better off walking away...
David

Option #2 - Fake taking a call.

Start your fake conversation by mentioning that you are fishing and some ****** walked right in on top of you and started fishing. Agree that etiquette seems to be a thing of the past. Wrap up the fake call with this beauty..... "Yeah, yeah, you know the pool. Hurry up and get here. Let's see how many times we can tangle this guys line before he loses it. Cool, see you in a minute."

🤣. This won't make you any friends but it is effective.

Option #2 - Fake taking a call.

Start your fake conversation by mentioning that you are fishing and some ****** walked right in on top of you and started fishing. Agree that etiquette seems to be a thing of the past. Wrap up the fake call with this beauty..... "Yeah, yeah, you know the pool. Hurry up and get here. Let's see how many times we can tangle this guys line before he loses it. Cool, see you in a minute."

🤣. This won't make you any friends but it is effective.
Why stoop to a child's level? Much simpler to just move on.

Why stoop to a child's level? Much simpler to just move on.
Sure, but it's fun to think about doing.

It's hard to decide between avoiding conflict and avoiding reinforcing bad behavior.

Assuming adrenalin doesn't override higher reasoning, I'd likely ask the adult if this kid belongs to him. Assuming he says "yes", I'd ask if the kid learned this rude behavior from the adult. That's likely as far as I'd take things....OK, maybe I'd add "Kids aren't born rude..." as I calmly walk away.

Well, sitting at my computer considering the situation, this seems like what I'd do. 😇

Sure, but it's fun to think about doing.

It's hard to decide between avoiding conflict and avoiding reinforcing bad behavior.
For me, deciding on my physical well being really isn't much of a decision. Especially in todays climate, where you have no idea who you're dealing with, or what their intentions are. A fish just isn't that important.

Had a weird run in fishing a small creek this evening. I was fishing a small hole when a father and son came up to the same hole. Son, by my best guess about 11 years old or so, walked right up next to me. Probably about 5 feet away from me, and threw his line right on top of mine. He then proceeded to ask me what flies I was throwing, what pound test line, and gave me some wonderful and very wanted feedback about how I was fishing incorrectly. According to him I wasn't using light enough line, I wasn't drifting with the current enough and I wasn't fishing the way I think he believed I should be. Little did he know there was a method to my madness for how I was fishing tonight;
I just recently finished reading Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout and was inspired enough to try out throwing larger flies on a sink tip and fish them by stripping line across and downstream instead of just drifting my flies.

He then had the gall to suggest I go fish somewhere else. Dad stood 15 feet away just ignoring us and fishing away.

I can't make up my mind if this was a choreographed song and dance to chase me away from the hole I was fishing as it was loaded with fish or if these folks were just ignorant of common courtesy and stream etiquette. The boy could have just been very excited about fishing, wanting to share his excitement and fish the water where he caught fish before. I'm trying be optimistic and lean towards the latter but the interaction just felt so odd.

I was a bit shocked by the way he crowded me and threw his line practically right onto mine and then suggested I go somewhere else. I didn't feel like being confrontational so I just left it at that and moved on to different water after a couple casts. How would you have handled this differently?
I would have gone on fishing and given them a well presented lecture on streamer presentation with a healthy side order of stream etiquette. I would have also also stated that the public waterways belong to us all and we are responsible for their respective stewardship - then continued with stream flora and fauna including indigenous vs invasive species, water chemistry, and finally deduce his father’s politics (by observing their actions - even if their politics are in line with yours…) and launched into a lengthy diatribe to the opposite for complete father and son ”enjoyment”. If they could stand all that, then I’d politely tell them to ”F” off .

Or you could just start talking about your tenkara rod.

I would made a bet as to who could catch the most trout then will see who knows what. Then I woulda ask the dad if he was good for the money.

When out fishing you aren't being PAID to be the teacher, parent, mental health counselor to a stupid kid.

So why do that work? Enjoy your leisure time. Find a bozo-free zone.

Could not have said it better myself. It's a difficult choice.

Looking back, I'm glad I handled it the way I did and just walked away. As much as I would like to avoid reinforcing bad behavior and have an opportunity to educate others, I don't think the potential repercussions from a run in with a hot head is worth it. You never know where someone is mentally and what will make them snap.

had that happen to me and a friend a few years ago on a local stocked stream , guy busted his way right between us, my buddy just looked at him and said... listen dude i`m just learning how to fly cast , so if i hit you or my fly gets caught on you don`t say you weren`t warned , and my friend proceeded to cast wildly.......... the guy left

My Stepdad used to tell me "It takes a bigger man to walk away from a fight than to stay and get beat up" Now days, you can replace the word "beat" with "shot". I would have loved to see how the dad talked with the kid after the experience.

Had a weird run in fishing a small creek this evening. I was fishing a small hole when a father and son came up to the same hole. Son, by my best guess about 11 years old or so, walked right up next to me. Probably about 5 feet away from me, and threw his line right on top of mine. He then proceeded to ask me what flies I was throwing, what pound test line, and gave me some wonderful and very wanted feedback about how I was fishing incorrectly. According to him I wasn't using light enough line, I wasn't drifting with the current enough and I wasn't fishing the way I think he believed I should be. Little did he know there was a method to my madness for how I was fishing tonight;
I just recently finished reading Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout and was inspired enough to try out throwing larger flies on a sink tip and fish them by stripping line across and downstream instead of just drifting my flies.

He then had the gall to suggest I go fish somewhere else. Dad stood 15 feet away just ignoring us and fishing away.

I can't make up my mind if this was a choreographed song and dance to chase me away from the hole I was fishing as it was loaded with fish or if these folks were just ignorant of common courtesy and stream etiquette. The boy could have just been very excited about fishing, wanting to share his excitement and fish the water where he caught fish before. I'm trying be optimistic and lean towards the latter but the interaction just felt so odd.

I was a bit shocked by the way he crowded me and threw his line practically right onto mine and then suggested I go somewhere else. I didn't feel like being confrontational so I just left it at that and moved on to different water after a couple casts. How would you have handled this differently?
unfortunately this type of behavior is more and more common, especially on the popular well known streams. I usually just get disgusted and move to a more remote section to fish.

Do the fake call thing.....and during the fake call....sneeze a half-dozen times or so and tell the fake listener (in a loud voice) that you just tested positive for COVID and figured being outdoors was the best defense.

Back