could we, would we and should we?

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
thanks MKern but at this point its just a discussion. i cant just work on a stream though. a side from clean-up, changing pools and stream habitat with out the proper plans and orginazations can lead to hefty fines and penaltys. i just wondered if its something to bring up in the future. i guess the first question to ask is why is the trout pop so low. like nitrate in headwaters, or holding water, or not enough food. to see if the problem can even be fixed. just imagine it though. all the streams on the natural reproduction list being class a. that would be amazing. :-o

I know one thing putting in structure doesn't do anything except cause the group putting it in to throw good money after bad. It is a very expensive proposition to put manmade devises into trout streams and over time they all need repairs.
I view the streams differently than most people, given time they heal themselves, but sometime they need help. Remove channel blocks, remove berms along banks, or at least break through them, plant trees and close some of the forest roads.
I'm not comfortable with putting a block in to keep browns and rainbows out, I think we should be doing more to expand brookie range, like move the browns and rainbows out completely. But that is me. If you limit brookies to headwater streams there will never be any large brookies.
You can try liming streams with low T-Alk but you only risk making more brown trout water, if you don't do it wisely. In a perfect world we'd never try to enhance brown trout water, we'd spend our time working on brookies streams. But that's just me

Back