Codorus State Park - Lake Marburg

volcanomil

volcanomil

I was wondering if anybody ever fly fishes in this lake. Looking at the map - it looks pretty big, but has alot of available coves to fish in. The family and I might make a trip to this park and was hoping someone could give me some pointers.

thanks...

Volc,
Lake Marburg has good public access and fishes well for a variety of species. I usually fish it from my kayak but there are areas where it can be fished from shore. By both the first and second bridges there is good shoreline cover and enough room to backcast. If you can get on the water very early there are a lot of bass close to shore in the summer (mostly small fish). My experience is that by about 7am they move off to the depths. Many of the coves are weedy. If you have some Clousers tied with a mono weed guard you ought to have some luck with bass. Bluegills are common along the shore and will eat a small nymph. A tree fallen into the water will have bass, gills, and likely some crappies too. The rip-rap banks near the bridges are good too and you can roll cast from them into deeper water. Good luck

Volc,

Like fishidiot said, early in the morining or just before sunset will get you into some fish. Otherwise you have to go deep.

I used to fish that several times a year from my boat. That was using traditional baitcasting gear. As mentioned after post spawn (late May/early June) the fish move deeper and would be hard to catch with a fly rod. My best spots are all 12 - 20 feet deep. An exception might be around the island (called large island). That will take a boat to get to. There is a shallow bar from the point to the island that might hold fish off the point if you're land bound.

One other spot you might try is at the inlet at Black Rock. I've pulled a number of bass from under the bridge there. You can buy a hydrographic map for that lake.

Back