carp

I am new to the group i thought i jump in too.

Carp are extreme fun on a flyrod. I have caught two small one on corn flies or numphs. Both on the Conewago Creek. One on the numph was a complete surprise after all i was trying to catch redeyes on a 6 wt switch rod.

jcspey

I live in Chester Springs, ZIP 19425, near Marsh Creek State Park. I went to the Marsh Creek Lake a few times but only caught a few small fish. Any one knows a place within an hour or two from 19425 that I could get big ones - carp, trout or bass? Thank you very much.

If you have information, would you mind letting me know how to get there. A map would be ideal: e-mail: freewangpj@yahoo.com

Regards,
Phil

I always hear that crayfish imitations work well, and this thread seems to confirm that.

I tried for at least an hour today to hook one of these 5 big carp that were hanging around a stump, I Couldn't get it done. I'm going to bring some saltwater clousers tomorrow.

I was fishing for Smallmouth, and one came out from under a stump, and scared the crap out of me! I threw the whole box at him. They would follow the wolly booger, but would not take it. I think a cone-head WB would work better.

Smaller black BH wooly buggers have been working for us on the Allegheny. By smaller I mean #12.

I've had good luck with carp using a wet pattern that resembles a kernel of corn. A yellow egg with a tiny piece of shot above the hook works well. Only problem with this seems to be nuisance fish striking it a lot.

While on the water, keep on the look out for overhanging mulberry trees. Carp will gorge themselves on the falling berries, and a purple mulberry imitation pattern works well fished dry or wet.

Carp are awesome. I wish they took a fly more readily. I've only hooked a few in my 30+ years of fly fishing and they all were hard fighters and memorable experiences. While fishing LAke Arthur in western PA I have seen some carp that would easily go 20 plus pounds every year in the shallows during spawning time. MONSTERS. The thought of hooking into one of those bruisers with my fly rod sends shivers down my spine.

Not my fly, but a product of a Google search:

56432663.IMGP5927.jpg

Looks pretty tasty!

Carp flies in general are not typically huge, so leave the salt water clousers behind! Clouser Swimming Nymph's, Wooly Buggers, any small crayfish type pattern, Bonefish flies in brown's and black's... all typically work well. If they are "clooping" then dry fly's will work as well.

I highly recommend the book referenced that started this thread, great piece of education and you walk away with a much better understanding of it all

My biggest mistake was getting frustrated trying to target cruising carp that really were not feeding and you have very little chance of hooking up with.

It is so much like fishing for bonefish just with brown water and bigger fish! Total Carp addict now. Added bonus is that you can often hook up with some great cats while you are targeting carp and again, good size, great fight!

Here is some carp flies http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26624

Check out this monster Carp:Benson

Back