Carp....what are these guys after?

Steeltrap

Steeltrap

A friend of mine has a pond that remains mostly muddy but has carp and catfish in it.

I have fished, using bait, from the bottom and catch almost exclusively catfish......but none larger than 7".

BTW, the pond is maybe 40 yards across and 70 yards wide.

Now, I see carp...large ones.....sort of "digging" into the banks and stirring up a bunch of silt. I think they are feeding but I'm unsure of what.

I've seen some tadpoles in the pond and some other torpedo like minnows....but I can't tell what they are after at the banks.

Any ideas?

Not sure what (or if) they are eating. The carp in my local lakes have been spawning and are splashing and carrying on big time in the shallows.p

I think they are rooting, meaning pulling up plants at the roots in search of worms, insects, clams and whatnot.

Rooting makes sense.

My buddy wants these carp and cat's outta this pond....well not completely out, but significantly reduced.

I may look at a bow fishing stuff to add on my compound as these carp swim on the surface....dorsal fin out....all day long.

If going with baits. Bread, doughball, worms, and crayfish. All should work for carps and cats.

Yes. I caught several cat's and one carp on DB. Tried tossing various carp flies to no avail. Water is very dirty (muddy silt). Next trip I'm going to tie on a black wolly-bugger. I've been reading that black in muddy waters seems to work on carp.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

That’s the rule of thumb light bright colors in clear waters, dark colors for muddy waters. Next time chum the waters so they’ll be more likely to bite.

Hang a small black bugger under a strike indicator. If they are in 2' of water, hang the fly 18" down. Get out in front of the direction they are moving and cast. Wait for them to get near the fly and move it slightly to get their attention. They'll eat it and then hang on because they might break your rod!

Solitariolupo wrote:
That’s the rule of thumb light bright colors in clear waters, dark colors for muddy waters. Next time chum the waters so they’ll be more likely to bite.

I don't put much stock in this. Dark, stained water I do better with dark flies. Clear water any color, dark or light, might be the ticket. Really try to match what the fish are eating.

krayfish2 wrote:
Hang a small black bugger under a strike indicator. If they are in 2' of water, hang the fly 18" down. Get out in front of the direction they are moving and cast. Wait for them to get near the fly and move it slightly to get their attention. They'll eat it and then hang on because they might break your rod!

I never use indies for carp but this sounds like a good technique. Many times I cast in front of fish and spook them. Casting well ahead of them and hanging the fly there and only moving it slightly when they get close may be the ticket.

Back