Brigantine, New Jersey - Late July

tjsingle

tjsingle

Hey guys,

My family and I are headed to Brigantine later this summer in the last week of July. I was wondering what type of opportunities there are for fly fishing that might be worth while to check out, whether that be in the surf, etc.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom

You might get lucky with spike weakfish in the back around that time of year. Also small blues and hickory shad can be fun. Sod banks with a lot of bug spray and long sleeves and pants. There are several places on Great Bay with public access, including the inlet there.

You might get lucky with spike weakfish in the back around that time of year. Also small blues and hickory shad can be fun. Sod banks with a lot of bug spray and long sleeves and pants. There are several places on Great Bay with public access, including the inlet there.

Is a kayak or something of the sort necessary? I was hoping to just be on foot.

No, you can def access some places on foot. Great Bay Blvd/7 Bridges Road is one option.

The back bays are hard to access without a boat or kayak. Years ago, you were able to rent boats from various places. I'm not sure you can still do that, or how much it would cost you. At the south end, there's access to the jetty and sea wall on Absecon Inlet and the surf. I'm not sure what kind of street parking there is, these days. You could walk to the surf and jetty if you can find a parking spot. If you have a 4 wheel drive or AWD you can access the beach at the south and north end of Brigantine, but you need a permit, and they limited the number and they're seasonal though if you're a veteran they're free. No day permits, There is an old pier off of Brigantine Blvd almost under the bridge. It looks like you can park in the area. It would give you access to some sod banks and Absecon Inlet. The north end has permit access to beach/surf for 4-wheel and AWD, but if there's a parking area, you could walk to the beach/surf.
What can catch, snapper blues, possibly weakfish, schoolie or small stripers, most likely at night, maybe small sea bass and sea robins. If you bottom bounce maybe small flounder.
One thing, Great Bay is nowhere near Brigantine, it's a good distance north near Long Beach Island.

Jerry is right about the other side of Great Bay. 30-some miles by car! I was just suggesting places with sure public access to productive water. Def more convenient to go with his recommendations above.

I just got back from Brigantine. Had a pinochle game there last night, no fishing. I talked with my friend, who's had house in Brigantine for years. If you wanted rent a boat, he thinks there are still a couple of places that rent them. I would suggest you stop by Riptide Bait and Tackle on W. Brigantine Ave. They should no if there are any places to rent a boat, and probably suggest some places to fish that I don't know about. The old pier is still there. If you're heading out of Brigantine, you'll see a sign just before the bridge over Absecon Inlet for U-Turns and left turns, that should take you to where the pier is. I came over the bridge at high tide and that there's a strip of shore next to the pier that looks like you could fish from it. The point is where one of the back bay channels runs into the inlet. It might be worth checking out.

I haven't fished Brigantine for years but my general view is that the NJ shore in high summer isn't the best time to FF fish, especially if you're confined to foot, wading, or kayak. But of course sometimes we have to fish when and where we can.

So, if it were me, I'd bring an 8WT rod with a sinking or intermediate line. Load up on some Clousers in smaller sizes - think green over white with some flash and with an overall length of 2-3 inches. Hit the beach at dawn and dusk and fish low and slow. There will be flounders (fluke) around and likely some small bluefish. As mentioned, there may be other species if you are lucky, but I'd target flounders and blues. They're a lot of fun on an 8WT. Don't go lower than an 8WT as it will probably be windy.

Good luck on your trip.

That’s peak greenhead season and they are murderous in the back bays. The surf is where I would stay as long as the wind is coming off the ocean. Green heads drive me insane especially when there are a hundred of them swarming me at any given time and they will be off the hook in late July. The thought of sod banks in July sends a shiver down my spine.

I haven't fished Brigantine for years but my general view is that the NJ shore in high summer isn't the best time to FF fish, especially if you're confined to foot, wading, or kayak. But of course sometimes we have to fish when and where we can.

So, if it were me, I'd bring an 8WT rod with a sinking or intermediate line. Load up on some Clousers in smaller sizes - think green over white with some flash and with an overall length of 2-3 inches. Hit the beach at dawn and dusk and fish low and slow. There will be flounders (fluke) around and likely some small bluefish. As mentioned, there may be other species if you are lucky, but I'd target flounders and blues. They're a lot of fun on an 8WT. Don't go lower than an 8WT as it will probably be windy.

Good luck on your trip.

Thank you! I wasn't sure what the best move would be, I'm real big on salt water fly fishing but would like to get more into it. We are about a 1/2 block from the beach on the North side so accessing the beach will be easy.

I'll give that a try, I have a 9wt rod I can bring along.

That’s peak greenhead season and they are murderous in the back bays. The surf is where I would stay as long as the wind is coming off the ocean. Green heads drive me insane especially when there are a hundred of them swarming me at any given time and they will be off the hook in late July. The thought of sod banks in July sends a shiver down my spine.

Yeah I was thinking that as well. Seems like the beach is a solid option.

I just got back from Brigantine. Had a pinochle game there last night, no fishing. I talked with my friend, who's had house in Brigantine for years. If you wanted rent a boat, he thinks there are still a couple of places that rent them. I would suggest you stop by Riptide Bait and Tackle on W. Brigantine Ave. They should no if there are any places to rent a boat, and probably suggest some places to fish that I don't know about. The old pier is still there. If you're heading out of Brigantine, you'll see a sign just before the bridge over Absecon Inlet for U-Turns and left turns, that should take you to where the pier is. I came over the bridge at high tide and that there's a strip of shore next to the pier that looks like you could fish from it. The point is where one of the back bay channels runs into the inlet. It might be worth checking out.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I was looking at that spot at the inlet on Google maps and it looks like there's some potential there.

I might try to get a kayak rental, I'll have to do some more research.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. It seems like July/August is tough there, which is fine its more of a family trip than a fishing trip. But I'll bring my 9wt and see what I can do whether thats in the back bays or surf.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. It seems like July/August is tough there, which is fine its more of a family trip than a fishing trip. But I'll bring my 9wt and see what I can do whether thats in the back bays or surf.
Sorry I missed this thread.
Hope it went well for you… I’m here for next time.

www.islandfly.net

Capt. Jason Moore

Back