Book Review of Tributaries by Lou Wentz

Tributaries is a wonderful collection of memories about fly fishing in the Pennsylvania and Catskills region. Lou Wentz provides a personal journey recalling his time growing up along fly fishing streams, sharing life accounts and reflections of over 40 years of angling experiences. An interesting, fun read for fly fishing anglers.
Screenshot 2022 11 21 at 74508 AM

I was expecting a traditional kiss and tell book covering some new locations and even secret personal technics for some lesser known waters of the region. It was none of those things, it was better.

The chapters bounce from childhood stories to memorable fly fishing experiences that are often full of surprises. Wentz reflects on tragic floods and fishing along Neshaminy Creek with characters like Indian Joe, Deke and Old Man Burger. Later in the book, the author reflects choices of a chance encounter with hippy girl or pursuing trout on Shermans Creek. These are difficult decisions in a young anglers life.

The author shares many other fascinating accounts of his youth, the passage of time and experiences along streams like the Tulpehocken, Penns, Perkiomen, Lackawanna and more.

His stories brought back many memories of my youth and fishing. Growing up, our adventures range from the unremarkable to magical events. As we get older and look back, we realize the importance of them all.

While an fun read, it may feel a little eclectic at times threading together some of his accounts. The author connects pieces of life and fly fishing together in the book. Tributaries is a book for someone who appreciates what time and fly fishing can offer, no matter where they live.

Lou Wentz is a long-time member of the Paflyfish community and goes by the user name @Oregon_OwlII. The book is available now on Amazon here. -
https://a.co/d/1qUD3p9

Oregon_OwlII
Tributaries is a wonderful collection of memories about fly fishing in the Pennsylvania and Catskills region. Lou Wentz provides a personal journey recalling his time growing up along fly fishing streams, sharing life accounts and reflections of over 40 years of angling experiences. An interesting, fun read for fly fishing anglers.View attachment 1641227759

I was expecting a traditional kiss and tell book covering some new locations and even secret personal technics for some lesser known waters of the region. It was none of those things, it was better.

The chapters bounce from childhood stories to memorable fly fishing experiences that are often full of surprises. Wentz reflects on tragic floods and fishing along Neshaminy Creek with characters like Indian Joe, Deke and Old Man Burger. Later in the book, the author reflects choices of a chance encounter with hippy girl or pursuing trout on Shermans Creek. These are difficult decisions in a young anglers life.

The author shares many other fascinating accounts of his youth, the passage of time and experiences along streams like the Tulpehocken, Penns, Perkiomen, Lackawanna and more.

His stories brought back many memories of my youth and fishing. Growing up, our adventures range from the unremarkable to magical events. As we get older and look back, we realize the importance of them all.

While an fun read, it may feel a little eclectic at times threading together some of his accounts. The author connects pieces of life and fly fishing together in the book. Tributaries is a book for someone who appreciates what time and fly fishing can offer, no matter where they live.

Lou Wentz is a long-time member of the Paflyfish community and goes by the user name @Oregon_OwlII. The book is available now on Amazon here. -
https://a.co/d/1qUD3p9
Thank you, Dave, for your generous review. Fly-fishing kindles many memories for all of us. Our imperfections sometimes come out, but mostly it is a healing and connecting enterprise. I thought Pennsylvania anglers deserved a book about journeys of the mind and soul in our fishing-rich heritage.

J
Just received, and started into my copy. Already has me pausing, with thoughts 70 or so years ago of Grandfather taking me fishing the first time.

R
Just ordered a copy of this and another fly-fishing book. I am really looking forward to reading these, esp. the Wentz book. Hope it comes soon.

Oregon_OwlII
Just received, and started into my copy. Already has me pausing, with thoughts 70 or so years ago of Grandfather taking me fishing the first time.
Thank you! I think everybody has there first time permanently etched in their memory.

Last edited:
Oregon_OwlII
Just ordered a copy of this and another fly-fishing book. I am really looking forward to reading these, esp. the Wentz book. Hope it comes soon.
Thanks. Be interested in hearing your impressions. I know you have commented on books in previous threads.

Back