Bluefish v Stripers

If you like bluefish pick up a copy of the is book..

I catch a lot of blues and stripers in the back bays behind Wildwood/CapeMay on ultralite spinning rods, not on my fly rod (yet). The stripers are resident, usually 16-24 inches. The blues can be anywhere from 6-24 inches. Blues definitely fight harder, pound-for-pound, but the stripers hit topwater (often) and that is pretty exciting. There are plenty of both around this year.
Good news about this yr’s abundance.

Both are great inshore fly rod fish. And both are unfortunately overfished at the moment. Just sad.
So true! When I was much younger in the 70's and 80's, all through the summer you could catch big blues one after the other. Every day! It was such good fishing, you used to have to sit and take a break from from fighting them. Back then they averaged 10lbs - 12lbs. I would actually stop fishing after a while. Those days are but a piece of history now. And yes, it is very sad to see.

So true! When I was much younger in the 70's and 80's, all through the summer you could catch big blues one after the other. Every day! It was such good fishing, you used to have to sit and take a break from from fighting them. Back then they averaged 10lbs - 12lbs. I would actually stop fishing after a while. Those days are but a piece of history now. And yes, it is very sad to see.
not so sure from what I read about blues migrating across the ocean. Plus the thought of a 30 year cycle. It's been about 30 years since the runs of big blues. The last couple of years we have been seeing more & larger blues being caught.

not so sure from what I read about blues migrating across the ocean. Plus the thought of a 30 year cycle. It's been about 30 years since the runs of big blues. The last couple of years we have been seeing more & larger blues being caught.
This may be true, but the consistency isn't anywhere near what it used to be. It's much more hit or miss these days.

Form a professional viewpoint, I was amazed, and I don’t use that term lightly, that for so many years the bluefish population was able to withstand the angling angling harvest that it did without great reductions in abundance or collapsing in the way that other fish populations had under seemingly much less pressure. I often made that remark to fellow biologists. I had not seen any data, but had witnessed first-hand over years of fishing a microcosm of the abuse that was occurring coast-wide, year after year. Apparently, my concern was not mis-placed as regulations have now been adjusted to reduce harvest. Anyone who has read my comments here over the years knows that it’s pretty unusual for me to voice many concerns about harvest, meaning that I am not overly sensitive to the practice and take a measured approach to the topic.

Last edited:
I had not seen any data, but had witnessed first-hand over years of fishing a microcosm of the abuse that was occurring coast-wide, year after year. Apparently, my concern was not mis-placed as regulations have now been adjusted to reduce harvest.
I recall back in the day, we would be leaving the dock at the end of a day's fishing and you'd see potato sacks filled with blues just sitting there on the dock being left to waste. Often just used for chum.

An even worse case was the total loss of the BIG weakfish that used to show up in the Delaware Bay every summer (70's & 80's). Those weakies were in the 6lb - 12lb category! Another thing of the past that we can blame on over harvest/no regulation.

Last edited:
A sub-set of the anglers coming off of our striper/bluefish head-boat trip a few years ago was sampled/interviewed. On another occasion one or two of four of us coming off of a friend’s boat were interviewed regarding the striper catch.

General comments about angler surveys follow:

Angler surveys whether on a lake, beach, stream, river, dock, or by telephone or email are typically done across a broad sub-set of all participants. One need not interview every angler to get a representative sample of catches or opinions. Angler catches, as you know, can vary quite a lot from day to day, angler to angler, season to season, and by technique, thus large sample sizes (many interviews) are appropriate spread throughout the season.

To go a step farther, angler opinions, on the other hand, aren’t all that varied and I have found that when I conducted angler opinion surveys I already knew the answer to angler opinion survey questions by interviewing as few as 30 anglers. Continuing to interview 70 more just fine tuned the response percentages by a few percentage points. For example, let’s say there is a fishing reg proposal….with thirty responses perhaps 67 percent of the anglers approved of a proposal while with 100 responses that number might have changed to 71 percent. This minor magnitude of change was pretty typical. The point is that either way a good majority favored the proposal and increasing sample size did not change the overall response significantly. Add another 100 angler responses and the change might be 2 points one way or the other.

Anglers often say when discussing survey results something like “they didn‘t interview me.” Statistically speaking, with a large enough sample size they interviewed somebody like each angler who was not interviewed and that opinion was represented in the sample population in the same proportion that it occurred in the total population, give or take a small error.

Last edited:
The bluefish article quotes how many lbs of bluefish were caught by recreational anglers. I've fished for them for almost 50 years & have never have had or seen anyone taking surveys on how many bluefish you caught. I believe they run a cycle. The bluefish runs in the 60's, 70's & 80's were amazing. Then overnight they stopped. I would think that over fishing would create a gradual decline. About 6 or so years ago big bluefish ran up tidal creeks in Delaware where they had never run that far up, why?
A biologist years ago said that bluefish have the rare trait of migrating east-west as well as north-south. Most other fish just go north-south. The huge school of 15- 20lb bluefish might be the ones off the coast of Africa & might make there way back to the east coast, I hope.
I think so..

Blues are just plain BadAss period. Back when I was much younger and used to surf, we wouldn't necessarily get quit just because there was a shark swimming around under us, but a school of blues, it was paddle for shore as fast as possible.
you got that right, toe biters on surfers...

If you happen to find those big blues blitzing in shallow water you’ll be in for a treat. We found 7-10 lb’ers in a shallow cove on the east side of Gardiner’s a couple of years ago during their fall migration. I left with aching arms giggling to myself for days. While albies make those screaming runs they don’t have the mean additude or power that the blues have just ask the 1 legged seagulls you see flying around out there. Blues before bass anytime.

Happening up & down the coast this fall!

Not that it does anyone any good now, but last week the blue fish were going crazy at the NJ shore in the IBSP area. Keep checking Betty & Nick's for updates >

2017 was the last good year for blue fish in jersey. The amount of fish killed was absurd. i Probably spend as much time down the shore as in the streams in pa and I wouldnt say it’s coming back. The spring gator bite was The whole jersey shore now it seems like it’s only in the raritan Bay and into Long Island sound. The whole fall run of Big blues in cape cod is a relatively new bite. ive Read books where they had it 30 years ago but it died.

every September its all the snappers you want where I fish but they never seem to show back up in the spring. While I think people and mostly head boat are the main factor why they declined i also think bluefin tuna are putting a number on them as well. The bluefin fishery is crazy right now and the bluefish is mediocre at best. It’s similar to striped bass and weakfish. In the 70 and 80 striper fishing was terrible. Didn’t get good till late 90 Till about 2012. Weakfish in jersey was insane When bass population was down. The netters killed the weakfish in the Delaware bay since then. Now with a down trending striper population there are more and more weakfish coming around.

I miss the spring bluefish Fishing but it did get frustrating trying at times. it Was 30 15 pound blues to maybe 1 striper. i prefer stripers. in my mind a trophy blue is 36 inches nor bigger a trophy striper 45 inches or bigger. I think it takes more time and skill to hit a striped bass of that caliber the a bluefish.

Boaters did well on large stripers (over the upper slot limit) this past weekend.

Regarding the striped bass vs weakfish numbers mentioned by Marcq above, stripers were verified via gut analyses to be substantial predators on weakfish.

^^And I imagine the majority of those big fish were caught on a snag and drop rig which is illegal. I hope the stock can be rebuilt.

The striped bass population is still decent. It just seems like there’s a lack of fish in the mid 30 inch range. The raritan bay has a crazy spring run which is pretty easy to figure out and access but the Chesapeake fish are at risk. That’s were all the monsters come from.
Regarding the striped bass and weakfish it can be one for the best bites off montauk. Big bass keying in on baby weakfish leaving Long Island sound.

Back