Best Book?

G

Greenhorn

Best fly-fishing book? I am looking for one that details stream figures and places to fish.

I'm a generalist when it comes to flies, so it doesn't much matter about the hatches.

I don't think this is at all what you're looking for, but out of the dozen or so old and new FF books I read in the last year Leonard Wright's Neversink was far and away the standout.

If you haven't read it, it's a pretty amazing record of getting to thoroughly know one body of water. It also struck me as a book I would recommend to someone who knew very little about the sport, as he organically and somewhat incidentally wanders through the basics of pretty much every aspect of fly fishing. Great authorial voice and an enjoyable read.

Unfortunately, after a strong streak of lots of fishing books, a couple months ago I was given The Compleat Angler. Woof. Not my preferred period, but now I'm stuck because I'm neither inclined to read nor do I want to give up. Can't say I recommend that one, despite the historical importance.

I received a number of books as house warming gifts when my wife and I bought a place on Pine creek. My favorite of the bunch is Keystone Fly Fishing: The Ultimate Guide to Pennsylvania's Best Water.
The Keystone Fly Fishing is a book on my want list.

I have a copy of
Trout Streams of Pennsylvania: An Angler's Guide by Dwight Landis (c 1991) Amazon Link
It's a little older, but it is pretty much what you are describing. I hope there is a modern or updated equivalent because the amazon price on this one is through the roof.

I also have:
Pennsylvania Trout Streams and Their Hatches by Charles Meck (c 1989) Amazon Link
Also older, and probably not exactly what you are looking for since you're not interested in matching the hatches. But this book also details trout streams as well.

For Steelheading up near Erie, i have a separate book:
Steelhead Guide, Fly Fishing Techniques and Strategies for Lake Erie Steelhead (Updated and Expanded 2nd Edition) Amazon link (4th Edition)

All the above will help you with exploring and finding new places to fish in PA. I'm sure there are other more updated books as well.

The Keystone Fly Fishing is a book on my want list.

I have a copy of
Trout Streams of Pennsylvania: An Angler's Guide by Dwight Landis (c 1991) Amazon Link
It's a little older, but it is pretty much what you are describing. I hope there is a modern or updated equivalent because the amazon price on this one is through the roof.

I also have:
Pennsylvania Trout Streams and Their Hatches by Charles Meck (c 1989) Amazon Link
Also older, and probably not exactly what you are looking for since you're not interested in matching the hatches. But this book also details trout streams as well.

For Steelheading up near Erie, i have a separate book:
Steelhead Guide, Fly Fishing Techniques and Strategies for Lake Erie Steelhead (Updated and Expanded 2nd Edition) Amazon link (4th Edition)

All the above will help you with exploring and finding new places to fish in PA. I'm sure there are other more updated books as well.
TSOP is the best spoon feed book. Does t get any easier. You just have yonput in the time. It's supposed to be fun. You know that , right?

G/h,

I guess Westmoreland Co. is a long way from Altoona. But, if you are near Altoona, the Barnes and Noble Bookstore at the Logantown Centre shopping mall has both Keystone Fly Fishing and Meck's PA Trout Streams and Their Hatches on display right inside the front door for regular retail price. Meck's is somewhat dated, but the Keystone Fly Fishing book is pretty current. Maybe even look online?

Our Barnes and Noble in Gbg has/had (haven't been in a while) a decent selection of Ffing books including the two rrt mentioned. Aaallllllthough...Toona is on the way to the little J...Amazon has it too...

I have a copy of
The third edition is highly price online.

The second edition is much more reasonably priced.

I have the third edition of Dwight's book. Very informative. It's one of my favorites in my collection.

Dwight Landis’s book is great.

If you are a lifelong fly fishers- Surely you want to own the all. Wolf, Meck Sanja

I’d say the PA fish and boats website , with their mapping , list of streams is pretty hard to beat.

Go to Abe Books, not Amazon for fishing books.

You'll get hosed on Amazon!

FWIW - I remember fondly reading the chapters in Bergman's "Trout" about reading a stream. It stuck with me all these years so I recommend that book too, even though it would be considered dated by some people, but no trout that I know of. ;)

I have copies of Dwight Landis's #1and#2 and C Meck's books for sale

When I moved in January I donated most of my angling books. I kept the Landis 3rd ed. At $10 I would seriously consider the Kindle version of Tom Gilmore's PA guide book. Should get it myself.

All of the books mentioned are good resources. I really enjoy Landis's Trout Streams of Pennsylvania because it includes much more than the obvious streams that appear in just about every book. Meck's Pennsylvania Trout Streams and Their Hatches is also very good and Keystone Fly Fishing is too. All three and you'll be more than set. If you limit yourself to one, get the Landis book.

Dwight Landis’s book is great.

If you are a lifelong fly fishers- Surely you want to own the all. Wolf, Meck Sanja

I’d say the PA fish and boats website , with their mapping , list of streams is pretty hard to beat.
I loved Mike Sanja's book for all the historical backdrop. Dwight's book is the best sampling of streams and rivers for all the regions of the state. I find exploring your own region to be as much fun as being guided by a book.

Back