Bass in the schuylkill

mute

mute

Caught a few bass over in phoenixville in the schuylkill. Heres one shot. Hooked 3 only landed one. Theyre so strong, its a nice pool too, the water comes down from the dam, then theres more rushing water on the side and they meet, and well i get them all on the swing in the current.

I was at the Schulkill also yesterday and I caught 13 with the smallest being about 9" with the biggest being about 14" . Ten of the fish I caught were on a cork popper I tied they were smashing it some were going air born when they hit it. I tell you one thing there was at least 10 hatches coming off and the water was covered with spent spinners all and all I had a great time . I went from not being able to get a hit on top ever at the schuylkill to having my popper mutilated by smallies but I wasn't complaining :pint: :hammer: :lol: I will just tie another one..........l

What's with the trout? Not caught on the same outing, I'm assuming. Or were they?

I was out on the Schuylkill yesterday as well, but down stream from Phoenixville. I landed about 10 bass with the biggest being just over 14" and the others all falling in the 10-12" range. I haven't caught that many smallies on the fly in a while and all fish were caught on my modified bugger in olive!

I haven’t fished the Schuylkill since early August. On my last trip, I was fishing just above the Pawlings Road bridge, and I was working my way upstream towards the mouth of the Perky. The further I got upstream, the more I noticed a foul odor, like a sewer smell. Just above the island I saw a geyser of water streaming up near the bank. It seemed to be the source of the foul smell. I reported it the PDEP. They said that they were aware of the problem; it was from a malfunctioning pump at the Oaks water treatment plant. A few days later, I read about a warning to restrict recreational activities on the Schuylkill because of the problem at the water treatment plant creating high bacteria count.

When I go fishing, I usually take a lunch break along the stream and eat a Wawa shortie and a Tastykake – it’s a Philly thing. Not that day, my hoagie went uneaten. I haven’t fished there since. I always wear waders, even during the heat of the summer, because trust me, wet wading is NOT an option on the Skukie (or any other major river in PA). I washed my waders as soon as I got home – twice! .

I have only had marginal success on the Schuylkill for SMs, with respect for both size and numbers. I’ve had some good days, but most of the time the fishing has been marginal for me. Attached is the PFBC biologist report on the exact area I mentioned above. BTW, our friend and fairly frequent poster Mike Kaufmann is pictured in the report.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/fisheries/afm/2005/6x11_07schu.htm

Fishing for me is not just catching fish, it’s also enjoying your surroundings. Lately, I’ve been driving a little further to fish for smallmouths at the Delaware River in Upper Bucks area. The Upper Delaware is more scenic, probably a little cleaner, and I seem to catch more and larger fish.

One comment about the PFBC biologist reports. Has anyone else noticed that when a report is unfavorable about the fish population of a waterway, future reports about that waterway or section of the waterway either are not published, or perhaps surveys of the section are halted by the PFBC. I would like to know how the SMs are doing on the Schuylkill in ’06 – ’07. How about the Susky adult and YOY SM populations?

Afish,

I only wet wade the "schyzzuke" above Reading. Occasionally, I'll make an exception for the stretch above Birdsboro on a really hot day. I don't like wet wading at all. I always thought I was just being a big baby about it, but you've validated my concerns.

Now, a shortie and a tastykake sounds pretty good right now. I believe their pumpkin pies are in season.

I fish that section near Oaks on an almost weekly basis and from late may to late September I wet wade. I am now wondering what I may have done to myself in doing this near the treatment plant so frequently.

Paranoid...oops I meant Bob

I actually just remembered that one of the guys that worked in French Creek outfitters a few years ago got a NASTY infection wet wading the schuylkill. It's a risk you're going to have to take to wet wade some of our waterways I guess.

do not wet wade there if you have any cuts or abrasions, especially on your legs.....same for most streams nowadays...I want to fish padre island texas and there have a few people who have died from infections from bacteria in the water from wet wading...

OOOOOOOPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great, now I need to reconsider wet wading. Too damn hot for waders in the summer! Luckily I only fished the Perk above the treatment plant, but still, that is close enough. Glad to hear some of you guys have done pretty well fishing the Spewkill for smallies lately. Need to do it more, but I think I may head further upstream of Oaks if I do!

Back