As I am getting ready to go to Yellowstone on Wednesday

redrockgrizzly

redrockgrizzly

The NPS just closed the park today because of severe flooding. A family trip that I had been planning for years was to visit and fish the Yellowstone next week and Missoula the following week. Now what do I do? I'm guessing the large rivers will be screwed for the next few weeks. We are staying in West Yellowstone next week and Missoula the following week. I guess we could fish the smaller mountain streams and fight of the grizzlies. I am just beyond WTH right now. Anybody have any ideas?

That's unfortunate. If your plans are etched in stone (no refunds), you'll have no choice but to try to fish the smaller mountain streams, which might be turbid due to melt? Good luck. Either way, make sure you bring bear spray.

I always figured though, if you're close enough to use spray, you're already in trouble.

Don’t know if this is actually going to work, it looks like a hell of a long link. It’s a list of USGS Montana/Yellowstone streamflow data. Tool around in it to find some that may be receding. I looked at a bunch of them and overall it doesn’t look good but I’m sure there are some that will be fishable when you arrive out there.

If you're in West, Henry's Fork is close by. It's only a few cfs over average for this time of year.

The Madison below Hebgen is actually below average flow according to the USGS gauge.

There are probably lots of options in the area outside the park. Give Blue Ribbon Flies a call.

Somehow I actually just sent you the Google search link, click on the top one and it will get you into a ton of streamflow data for the area. Obviously I’m not an IT guy. Good luck, hope you find some spots to fish.

The NPS just closed the park today because of severe flooding. A family trip that I had been planning for years was to visit and fish the Yellowstone next week and Missoula the following week. Now what do I do? I'm guessing the large rivers will be screwed for the next few weeks. We are staying in West Yellowstone next week and Missoula the following week. I guess we could fish the smaller mountain streams and fight of the grizzlies. I am just beyond WTH right now. Anybody have any ideas?
The small streams will clear the quickest. I really enjoy fishing small streams in the west.

Also, you can take the family along, park at a trailhead and to walk along a trail paralleling a stream into areas where no roads parallel the stream. The scenery can be stunning. You can just mosey along, popping big Stimulators into good looking spots. But also enjoying the landscape, maybe seeing wildlife, flowers, stopping to have a picnic lunch.

Even if the small stream is blown out, it's still a nice hike.

If Yellowstone stays closed, you can probably still explore around in the Targhee National Forest, near West Yellowstone.

The Box Canyon would be amazing with a lot of water roaring through. It roars even in normal flows. The family would enjoy seeing that.

Thanks for all the input. West Yellowstone may be a bust next week, I’m thinking Missoula will be better fishing the following week. Mountain streams wouldn’t be the end of the world either but I would rather deal with rattlesnakes on Penns or Pine creek than grizzlies in the mountains of Montana.

Heading out the end of the week. Hubbards Yellowstone Lodge who I will be guiding for is located in the Tom Miner basin. I think you should consider lakes as an option... Water is expected to increase tonight even more... Almost Biblical....

If you want a sure-thing in regard to fishing, the Missouri is probably it. Spring creeks being an alternate option.

Heading out the end of the week. Hubbards Yellowstone Lodge who I will be guiding for is located in the Tom Miner basin. I think you should consider lakes as an option... Water is expected to increase tonight even more... Almost Biblical....
I agree with your suggestion to consider lakes as an option, and I’d be quite careful and check with the local fly shops, etc. if I were going just about anywhere in Montana for the foreseeable future.

I don’t envy you for what your going to have to look forward to this summer. With the number of roads and bridges that are going out around there (Hubbards Lodge) today, it’s going to take months, if not years, until things get back to normal. I believe that the Carbella bridge, for example, was built in 1918 and had withstood years of floods, fires, and other extreme weather conditions, but didn’t make it through today…l’m sad, and the Yellowstone river level has just gone up, and up all day today.

Not much more to add , your definitely going to need to talk to local folks because of road closures and bridges out. I’ve seen some incredible videos in paradise valley- all really bad. Agree with tailwaters, best bets but this time of year they can be blowing out hard. Henry’s Fork has a great green drakes hatch in the next few days and it’s only 33 miles from west Yellowstone. Below Palisades dam on Snake might be an option- close to Jackson/Victor has things for the family to do. Ruby river is a real gem too. Tough break, good luck.

The flooding in yellowstone is catastrophic. I'm wowed by the images I see. That sucks for you, no doubt about it. I'm sorry. As is the case with any fisherman, be aware of changing conditions and don't let the dissapointment of losing plan A keep you from adjusting, making new plans, and having a good time.

If you haven't been out west, be aware that the flows are VASTLY different from one place to another.

Several things go into that. First, is the vast distances fool you. The next valley over seems like it should have a similar situation. But that's 2 hrs away, lol. They get less rain than we do so there's less water in the major rivers by drainage area. But make no mistake, the Yellowstone, Madison, Henry's Fork, in area of drainage, is like Delaware, Susquehanna, Ohio, Potomac. The situation can be vastly different across distances like that.

And second, half the water is snowmelt. We're used to everything being based on rainfall alone. This river here doesn't have much snowcap in the peaks, this one does, and this other one over here does but it's headwaters are higher elevation and reaches it's peak in August, not June. There's extra wrinkles to the equation that we're not accustomed to in Pennsylvania.

Lastly - lakes!!!!! Western lakes can be fantastic. Look into renting a float tube or small boat.

Last edited:
More articles and videos of the Yellowstone flooding and damage >

Last edited:
The all time high flow on the Yellowstone was 30,000 cfs in 1918. Yesterday it it 50,000 cfs. Unbelievable. The park may be closed for a long time.

I think rainbows and cutts spawn in the spring. Wonder what this flow does to the fry?

ironic as the Y'stone was low when I was out there in late June of last year. I was wade-fishing it, and doing well, when John said that it shouldn't be in such good shape for 4 more weeks. THis blasting flow is terrible. But 3 years from now, people may be benefitting from the changes that such high flows bring.

If many bridges are out and roads are damaged, it may be best to just stay away from the Yellowstone area this summer.

Maybe switch to another destination that is less impacted.

Maybe Glacier National Park or Rocky Mountain National Park. I haven't checked to see if they have flood damage.

My parents and my sisters did an enormous road trip of the west in the 1990s, including some Canada destinations. They said their favorite area was Mount Lassen in northern California. They also loved the redwoods and giant sequoias. I've never been there. Someday!

Having spent weeks in Gardiner and YNP, this is devastating to see. It will be years to fix and return to a normal condition. If you are in west, there will be some small streams closer by that might be fishable. I would assume that anything in the Park will be a no go. You could head over toward the Big Hole and its feeders.

There has been alot of rain/snow in the MSO area also. Have a place south of MSO near the Bitterroot. It does not look good for a while IMO. Maybe up high on the east or west fork. West fork is tailwater but the lake is full.

Good luck. Lots of water so you should be able to find something.

The folks at Montana Angler can steer you in the right direction, and their sponsor link is below this thread. Henry’s Fork Ranch section opens tomorrow, and if levels stay similar could be a good option. Or the Big Hole watershed as mentioned above. For Missoula, give the folks at Blackfoot River Outfitters a call and they will be able to help. Above all, be safe and enjoy the trip!

Back