Alternatives to the West Branch

dennisl

dennisl

So I made plans to spend the weekend up at the West Branch but did not check USGS first. The flows are insane, guessing not wadeable at all.

Any suggestions on where I should go instead? Or spots on the West Branch that might be wadeable even at the current flow?

I hear Beaver Kill and Willowemoc are open all year this year.

Yeah, at 1800 CFS, I wouldn't go near the west branch.
I only go up if it's under 1,000.

I was hoping to get up there in October. But it's been high all fall.

I've never tried the alternatives you mentioned. But they should be better choices now
Good luck

I was in that area recently and found this map to be helpful. Not as in depth as we get in PA but a pretty good place to start. There are lots of posted streams but the state clearly marks public fishing easements, look for the little blue signs.

https://gisservices.dec.ny.gov/gis/dil/index.html?cat=WRL

In general NYS trout season closes 10/15 so you need to head to special regulation areas. There are No-Kill sections on the Beaverkill and Willowemoc that are open all year. Should be able to fish nymphs or streamers.

JeffK wrote:
In general NYS trout season closes 10/15 so you need to head to special regulation areas. There are No-Kill sections on the Beaverkill and Willowemoc that are open all year. Should be able to fish nymphs or streamers.

New regs this year in NY opened up trout fishing ALO from Oct 16th thru March 31st.

Read this > https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2021/03/what-ny-anglers-need-to-know-about-new-trout-fishing-regulations-that-take-effect-april-1.html

Thanks for the update. This year I didn't travel to NYS for fishing so I missed the update.

I ended up spending a couple days on the Beaver Kill. The entire stream is open this year. Caught a couple nice browns – vivid colors and intact fins. Looked pretty wild to me though surprising because they stock that stream heavily?

Not a super productive weekend but nice to get out!

If anyone's thinking of going up there – all the fly shops said this week looks pretty good. Also Willowemoc looked really nice this weekend, good flows.

While stocked heavily, there are plenty of wild fish and some holdovers. Any of the genetically deficient pellet heads parish in the summer heat which kind of helps keep the stream as good as it is. I'm surprised you didn't get a hold of a rainbow or two up there but you were only likely to find them in the fastest of water.

Back