Allegheny carp

David

David

Not many people target them, but had a blast tonight catching large carp in the allegheny where pine creek flows in. I have been fishing there regularly for smallies and every evening at dusk I can see the wake of big carp moving from the deep onto the flats, but had never been able to catch one on the fly. With the rains we had recently, the water was flowing over the flats so I was able to dead drift a white wolly bugger and had several hours of "after dark" fun landing BIG carp.

Carp are extremely spooky. I think getting them to eat a fly is often a matter of lucky timing. I've had good luck when I've found fish rooting around on the bottom ("mudding" as the saltwater guys call it). If you can find fish clearly feeding they'll take just about any fly. I've never been able to feed a cruising carp. I like an orange nymph about an inch long or a big Green Weenie. Most of the carp I see are in the 8-12 lb range and I won't cast at them with a trout weight fly rod. They're just too hard to land and I break enough rods as it is. An 8WT works well.

Never caught a carp on a fly rod- it's on my list. Saw some giants this summer in Chartiers Creek.

Carp are extremely spooky. I think getting them to eat a fly is often a matter of lucky timing. I've had good luck when I've found fish rooting around on the bottom

That is what was nice about this setup...It was dark, so the fish weren't spooky as long as I kept my distance. There was just enough light from street lights that I could see my drift. There were enough carp that about 1 out of 20 drifts got a hit.

Akid - It'll be getting dark at 6 now, so it wouldn't even be a late night to get a couple hours logged.

Don't know what a 24 inch weighs, but have caught them on a 6 weight with no problems.

Back