Air Lock Strike Indicators sliding down on my all day

N

NovaJeff

I have had some luck with the Air Lock indicators in the past, and I like how they don't kink the leader like thingamabobbers do. However, yesterday I was fishing a nymph rig on a 9 ft 5x leader, with 8 oz of weight about 6" up from the fly. I cranked the Air Lock on about 3-4 feet up, as tight as I could turn it. It was on tight enough that it was difficult to then unscrew the top. However, over and over, after a few casts, when the indicator would drop (sadly mostly from rocks, not fish), I'd set it and it would go flying since it was just a rock, and then I'd look to see the Air Lock all the way down resting against my split shot, so I had been fishing a whole whopping 6" of depth the last bunch of casts.

Anyone else have that issue with the Air Locks, or am I doing something blatantly wrong? Seems odd that just the force of me trying to set the hook or unstuck it from a rock snag repeatedly shoved the indicator all the way down.

Thanks!

EDIT: I just found t his verbiage on their website...I wonder if this is my issue, since I'm using a 5x?

• Note: For smaller diameter leaders, you can remove the rubber washer for a tighter fit. This will not result in a damaged leader

EDIT: I just found t his verbiage on their website...I wonder if this is my issue, since I'm using a 5x?

• Note: For smaller diameter leaders, you can remove the rubber washer for a tighter fit. This will not result in a damaged leader
Frankly, I see no reason to try to secure an air lock indicator to 5x. I try to build my leader so that the indicator is positioned on fairly heavy mono but the leader drops down to a much smaller diameter material just below the indicator. IMO putting indicators like these on fine diameter mono is a casting nightmare anyway. I try to build my leader so that the indicator is positioned on heavy mono but the leader drops down to a much smaller diameter material just below the indicator. To do this, I usually just use 3-4ft of 15-20lb mono as a butt section and that is where my air lock stays. I have a tippet ring on the end of the butt section and then I build out my nymph rig from there. Usually adding some 2x or 3x before dropping down to smaller size. FWIW, I also make large adjustments by adding or removing material below the tippet ring rather than making large moves with the indicator.

Frankly, I see no reason to try to secure an air lock indicator to 5x. I try to build my leader so that the indicator is positioned on fairly heavy mono but the leader drops down to a much smaller diameter material just below the indicator. IMO putting indicators like these on fine diameter mono is a casting nightmare anyway. I try to build my leader so that the indicator is positioned on heavy mono but the leader drops down to a much smaller diameter material just below the indicator. To do this, I usually just use 3-4ft of 15-20lb mono as a butt section and that is where my air lock stays. I have a tippet ring on the end of the butt section and then I build out my nymph rig from there. Usually adding some 2x or 3x before dropping down to smaller size. FWIW, I also make large adjustments by adding or removing material below the tippet ring rather than making large moves with the indicator.
Interesting, thanks, that makes sense. I think I am (and have been) doing it the way I mentioned just since it seemed like the simple way to go about it, with a leader and putting an indicator at the depth I think it should be. Your method seems good, and probably another reason I should explore the world of tippet rings.

I have had some luck with the Air Lock indicators in the past, and I like how they don't kink the leader like thingamabobbers do. However, yesterday I was fishing a nymph rig on a 9 ft 5x leader, with 8 oz of weight about 6" up from the fly. I cranked the Air Lock on about 3-4 feet up, as tight as I could turn it. It was on tight enough that it was difficult to then unscrew the top. However, over and over, after a few casts, when the indicator would drop (sadly mostly from rocks, not fish), I'd set it and it would go flying since it was just a rock, and then I'd look to see the Air Lock all the way down resting against my split shot, so I had been fishing a whole whopping 6" of depth the last bunch of casts.

Anyone else have that issue with the Air Locks, or am I doing something blatantly wrong? Seems odd that just the force of me trying to set the hook or unstuck it from a rock snag repeatedly shoved the indicator all the way down.

Thanks!

I use them sometimes even with 7x
The purpose of the rubber washer as I assume you know is to prevent slipping.
They seem to work for me but I wish they made a smaller size.

I use them sometimes even with 7x
The purpose of the rubber washer as I assume you know is to prevent slipping.
They seem to work for me but I wish they made a smaller size.

I figured it was to prevent slipping, but according to their site they say to remove that (and it sure as heck was slipping when I was using them). Maybe it can really bite onto the line without it?

First thing that came to mind was the washer is missing. You might have a defective notch in the post too.

I build a heavy butt section 1x or 2x flouro. Tippet ring on the end and run tapered 3, 4 and 5 section from the ring. Adjust Indi on the thick butt section. Never slips but limited adjustability. Butt section typically lasts 2 years. Not conventional and casts like crap 😁

You need to have the washer on them . I fish them on 5x all the time never have an issue . When the washer is removed they slide . I don’t know why directions say *Remove washer for fine leader

Attachments

• 4881C72A-C6B3-4750-9528-10E169A100D2.jpeg
    4881C72A-C6B3-4750-9528-10E169A100D2.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 19
Never noticed that and removing the washer doesn't seem right.

I'm just trying to figure out how you cast that rig with 8 oz of weight.

HA! I spit my coffee when I read this and went back to look at my original post and saw I had said 8 oz of weight for some reason! LOL.

I can’t think of what I was possibly trying to type, but I assure you it wasn’t 8 oz.

I had two split shot (~ No. 3) on there. So maybe half a gram or so….NOT 8 oz LOL.

I was baffled but didn't judge. Figured you were trying to get it down quick 🤣🤣

Yeah, the typical five weight is maxed out with two pyramid sinkers 😳🤣🤣

Back