A Knotty Approach to Time on the Water

moletort.jpg

By Maurice
While sharing some time on the water the other day with Dave Kile (dkile) I experienced what seems to happen often during a decent hatch with some wind, you guessed it, a wind knot! Or as Lefty Kreh calls them, bad casting knots. Everyone gets them now and then, especially when combining a breeze, long leaders and fine tippets. Or for the chuck and duck crowd, of which I am often a member, weight and multiple flies. So as Dave stands upstream pondering my delay to cast to a rising fish, he asks, what’s the problem Einstein? I said I have a wind knot, and it reminded me of a tip I learned many years ago.

Back in the 80’s we were on a bus trip to the Breeches from the ‘burg and there was a video on the tube for those not taking the time to sleep. Being full of interest in sponging any and all info I could at the time, one tip in the video stuck with me. Terminal knot tying efficiency. Think about it, every time we tie on a new piece of tippet, a new fly, etc., we are out of the game. It stands to reason that the faster you can tie on a fly (improved clinch knot in my case) or a new piece of tippet (double surgeons knot), the quicker you can begin flogging the water again.

The video stressed the need to get your knots down to 15 seconds each. Practice, practice, practice until you can meet that goal. This will put your fly change or tippet adjustments into under one minute if you include the spooling off tippet, picking out a new and returning the old flies. If you find yourself taking 5-10 minutes each to accomplish that task, you could likely be wasting an hour or more tying frustrating knots. Practicing on stream is KNOT efficient! (pun intended)Now it’s not a race, and I don’t suggest it to be. But it is practical to be as efficient as possible when enjoying your streamside time. Plus, when a hatch is on, the fish and bugs don’t wait until you re-tie, it goes on as scheduled, often it seems to go faster as the trouts plop, plop, plop all around you.

So do yourself a favor by following these few tips;
• Get your knots down to 15 seconds or so.
• Accept the fact your eyes are going bad and get some readers if seeing the eye is getting harder every year.
• Keep your tippet handy, I keep mine outside near my left hip where I can reach it easily.
• Keep your flys handy with few boxes so searching is not too long.
• Know your limitations and adapt.

img4f51610dcad72.jpg
That last one may seem out of place for a seasoned fly fisher but this efficiency exercise also applies to damage control. That's right, when you booger up your line with a collapsed cast, loose loop or wind knot, bring your line in gently and assess the damage immediately. It can be tempting to just begin pulling and tugging but try to resist. Take a few seconds and loosely pull on some of the loops to see what you are dealing with. Look for loops that exit the knot and pull them back through. Often its only one or two loops that cause the whole mess. If it looks too complicated to unravel it probably is. Clip off the fly, this often makes it a much easier task because you can slip the tippet through the knot. Remember it only takes you 15 seconds to tie it back on. Just be sure when you clip it off you put it somewhere you remember like a fly patch, or other handy outside vest place. Don’t keep it in your hands or put it in your mouth. Trust me, this never ends well…soon you are chasing it down stream with your net or trying to get it out of your lip.

Lastly, If it's a total mess clip it ALL off and start over, in one minute or so you will be casting again.

Now I consider myself a pretty good untangler…in fact, my slogan is “Fly fishing is the art of tangling and untangling lines of different diameters while trying to enjoy yourself”. But it doesn’t have to be yours.

B
Nice. But beware of advancing years. I used to tie blood knots in the dark. Now, tying a leader through my flip-focals and mild shaking of the hands, makes the blood knot an ordeal (especially in the smaller diameters). I'll turn 70 this summer, and I'm finally using a wading staff, which I should've used years earlier. I'm going to be one of those doddering old farts on the river. And Joe Humphreys will walk past me and think, "Man that guy's pathetic!"

wildtrout2
I'll turn 70 this summer...
I'll turn 65 this summer, and I'll admit my eyes are not what they once were. I totally rely on my 3X readers for tying on tippet, flies, and undoing crazy knots, that I can't believe I'm even seeing. lol I also keep a back-up pair with me in case of loss or breakage. I'm that reliant on them for a day's fishing.

use2wuz
Great tips - I keep a couple pairs of dollar (.25!) store readers in the truck, vest, kitchen, etc. Cheap to lose and handy to have close by. As for shaky hands - I’m lucky to do a Kreh version (the easy one) Blood knot in under a minute - usually takes longer. If it were a race - I’d be one of those guys just happy to finish 🙄. I also try to form the knot against a dark background or old it up to the lighter sky in low light conditions - I’ll eventually quit when it’s no longer fun - but not yet.

Attachments

• C846A49C-D385-4FA3-A16B-17DBCF0E1212.jpeg
    C846A49C-D385-4FA3-A16B-17DBCF0E1212.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 10
Back