2015 PAFF Eastern PA Instructional Jamboree (Newbie Jam) Sunday 3/29/15

Heritage-Angler

Heritage-Angler

2015 Paflyfish.com Fly Fishing Instructional Jamboree

Date & Time: Sunday, March 29th. 8AM to 4PM

Open to the public, free admission.

The purpose of this event is to share the extensive knowledge of some of our members with beginners, newcomers to the sport of fly fishing, and those just seeking to expand their fly fishing skills.

Itinerary:

8AM – 8:30AM: Meet & Greet. Coffee, donuts, and spring water will be provided.
8:30 – Noon: Instructional Presentations #1 through #7
Noon – 2PM: Lunch Break
2PM – 4PM: On-Stream Fly Fishing Instruction (near the fly shop, on Fish Hatchery Road)

Presentations:

#1 Gear/Setup - “Head to Toe”
#2 Fly Fishing Knot Instruction (hands on) and Leader Setups
#3 Entomology (What trout eat, and their imitations)
#4 Fly Tying Demonstration.
#5 Fly Casting Instruction.
#6 “Where to Fish”.
#7 "How To Find & Catch Trophy Size Trout"

We're looking forward to a fun and educational day, meeting new friends, and attracting newcomers to the sport of fly fishing. Come join us!

Directions to the Wildlands Conservancy can be found here.

Directions to the on-stream instruction location can be found here.

Lets try to keep all discussion of this event in this thread in the Events forum.

This event is being co-hosted by pcray and myself. Pat can answer any questions as he sees fit. His input has had a major impact on what this event has become!

We need instructors for this event - prior year's instructors will be given their topics if desired, and we can always use up to 3 instructors for each topic.

Please sign up if you'd like to instruct, and what topic you'd like to do of the ones listed.

We can also add topics if anyone wants to do something different than the topics listed.

While there's no need for newbies, or even someone that just wants to brush up on some things to "sign up", it'd be nice to have a rough idea on how many plan on attending.

Let the games begin!

H.A.

HA, I have been waiting for this. I had so much fun last year. I will volunteer. Last year as you know I did entomolgy. Which I could do again. But I would really like to tie flys if possible. I found out at the tying jamb. I need more experience tying in public. Either way i'm in.

GenCon

I'm in. I could help with 1, 4, 6, or 7.

In for whatever you need....let me know...I'd love to tie with GenCon if he doesn't mind.

I can do "How to Catch Fish In Spite of Yourself"

Or #1 (#7 in the Winter :) )

Im in! id like to tie as well. If not, ill help out wherever.

Volksnurse wrote:
...I'd love to tie with GenCon if he doesn't mind.

You and me both! One day.....

JT - If you could handle the Newbies, it'd free up GenCon to really let 'er rip.

GenCon - Feel free to do whatever you want at the vise. This I gotta see!

Cathy - I think you and djs would make a great team for station #1 - the "Lackawanna Connection". And don't even THINK about trying to pay for your lunch. ;-)

Here's what we have so far....

#1 - djs12354, CathyG
#4 - Volksnurse, GenCon, Tyger
#7 - Guest instructor - one of the best I've ever seen at this.

I would have loved to help, but it is youth fishing day. I will be taking the kids fishing.

SBecker wrote:
I would have loved to help, but it is youth fishing day. I will be taking the kids fishing.

Sorry 'bout that - we only had one choice of days, and this is it.

Feel free to stop by at any time (with the kids). They gotta eat too.

Nope, completely understand. If I can pull them away from the water I will, but they will be getting first crack the the Jordan fish. Lol should be fun.

If you are new to fly fishing, I highly recommend attending this event. I could surely use more tutoring from these guys and gals, but have a family obligation that day. These folks are all top notch people, and also a river full of knowledge.

I'd be glad to help, if there isn't a hidden event on the homefront calendar for that day. Maybe a reprise of #6 is in order..

I can't commit to anything more than a week out!!!!

J/K. Well, sorta. Let's say I intend to be there and am up for wherever you need me (cept tying, I suck at tying).

This is going to be awesome. Volks Nurse and Tyger can't wait to tie with you guys. So much fun!!! HA didn't you tell me you had some type of flyer or poster for this event? If so maybe you can send it to me. I will post it in the local Orvis shop.

GenCon

Hmm, it's a four hour trip for me, but looks like it's worth it. I'm marking it on my calendar. I'll try to come down...need all the help I can get.

fishingn00b101 wrote:
Hmm, it's a four hour trip for me, but looks like it's worth it. I'm marking it on my calendar. I'll try to come down...need all the help I can get.

Now thats the spirit!

GenCon

I need to attend this but it is the last weekend before my audit season is over so I will probably be working that weekend. If I can swing it I will be up there but I wont know till a little bit before. Would be nice to meet some more people that enjoy this.

Back