Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Yough River, Westmoreland County, 7/2/2011

From Pgh
Air temp -- 86
Water temp -- low 70s-ish (left my thermometer in trout pack)
Flows were around 1000 cfs

Fished for a few hours well above Smithton, near Jacobs Creek, for smallies. Risking a bout with a staph or other micro cuddie-like infection, I wet waded. A wonderful way to keep cool on a hot, humid, windless summer evening.

Caught 5 -- 4 on top with a popper, 1 on a small white clouser. Missed a few more, including a very big one that exploded on my popper, its back catching the low sun reinforcing the common name "bronzeback."

Good variety of year class, from 5 inches up to 14. Also, I saw a large number of small bass 4 to 5 inches. Good sign for the future of the fishery, providing the meat hunters don't keep too many. Which they have a tendency to do in that area.

Posted on: 2011/7/4 9:32

Re: Yough River, Westmoreland County, 7/2/2011

From Pittsburgh
good report GG. I fished under the bridge at Layton a few weeks ago and did ok on clousers and black bunny leeches.

Posted on: 2011/7/4 18:14

wet wading that area about 2yrs ago in July ended with me in the hospital for 3days

i'll see if i can dig up the nasty picture

Posted on: 2011/7/5 10:14

From Monessen, PA
People swim all up and down the Yough. Maybe take a shower with soap and water after wet-wading. If you have open wounds (not a small scratch or puncture here and there) that may be taking an unnecessary risk. I used to swim in the Monongahela in the late 70s and I'm still around to tell about it.

Posted on: 2011/7/5 11:59

From Pgh
Quote:

JackM wrote:
People swim all up and down the Yough. Maybe take a shower with soap and water after wet-wading. If you have open wounds (not a small scratch or puncture here and there) that may be taking an unnecessary risk. I used to swim in the Monongahela in the late 70s and I'm still around to tell about it.

As a matter of fact, one of the most popular swimming "beaches" on the Yough is right below the Smithton bridge. When I park at the bike/picnic area to fish, I see families swimming there all the time.

Posted on: 2011/7/5 12:48

I'm still getting over a blood infection that I got on the river by dunking my hat to cool my head off. Had a couple of scabbed over black fly bites on my scalp and that was all it took. One month of antibiotics and just now starting to feel better.

Glad you found some bass GG.

Posted on: 2011/7/9 20:22

From Pgh
YRG,
Sorry to hear about your infection. Glad you're on the rebound. I got a bad infection once from Lake Arthur in August, I attributed it to goose poop-- a big problem in certain locations. I've been wet wading for 30 years, only got an infection that one time, knock on wood. This time of year, I just can't bring myself to don a pair of waders.

Posted on: 2011/7/9 22:41

Thanks. About the only place I wear waders this time of year is below right below the dam. Anyplace else and I'm in shorts. I am going to be a little more cautious about it in the future though.

Posted on: 2011/7/10 9:04

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

YoughRiverGuide wrote:
I'm still getting over a blood infection that I got on the river by dunking my hat to cool my head off. Had a couple of scabbed over black fly bites on my scalp and that was all it took. One month of antibiotics and just now starting to feel better.

Glad you found some bass GG.

That is amazing. You sure you weren't fishing in chartiers creek?

Anyway, glad to hear you're on the mend.

Posted on: 2011/7/10 23:33

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com