Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Yellow Creek FFO Bedford County 8/2

From Cambria County
Fished the fly project on Yellow Creek today. Arrived at daybreak and fished until 11:30. Water temps was 59 at first light. Water was fairly low and very clear. Started with a hopper and pheasant tail dropper. No takes on the dropper but the hopper and other terrestrials were killing it all day. Ended with 17 with a lot of missed opportunities.
It's no secret that Yellow Creek has a large population of wild browns. It's also stocked, which is being contested by many. A few months ago, the Yellow Creek Coalition took a survey to see what people thought about stocking the stream. I haven't heard results, but assume most everybody would want the stocking to stop and the natural reproduction to take over.
One thing caught me by surprise there today. Most outings, I catch a mix of stocked rainbows and wild browns. Usually about 50/50. Today, out of 17 fish, only one was a brown. The first pool I fished, I could see 2 rainbows over 18 inches and at least 10 more that were 12-15. Never seen them in there like that before. Odd that this pool is now infested with them. I caught 14 of the 16 rainbows in that one pool that is probably only 150 yards long. They were doing an electro shock survey of the stream not too long ago. I'd like to see the results of that.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 14:47

Re: Yellow Creek FFO Bedford County 8/2

From pennsylvania
Rember that SRC stocks rainbows in Yellow Creek, and they have a tendency to migrate up or down stream.

Posted on: 2013/8/3 12:24

From Cambria County
That would make sense if they came from there. Especially the big ones. This did take place toward the lower limits of the project. It's just weird because I've never had that happen before. Word on the street was that SRC lost their lease on that stretch of Yellow Creek. Not sure of the validity of that, but it sure would be nice.

Posted on: 2013/8/3 12:46

From Dallastown, PA
RK,

The density and size of those fish in that one pool is due to the landowner at the pavillion feeding them. I always used to just go past that spot to the water upstream. When you described the numbers and size of the fish you were catching I knew it had to be there. Its a much more natural experience upstream.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 9:28

From Monessen, PA
But on a tuff day, who doesn't try their luck at that pool? By the way, kudos to that landowner or two in that stretch for allowing access.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 9:55

From Cambria County
Bingo. That's the spot. I usually park in the lot and walk to the top of the project, but that day I started at the bottom and fished up.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 9:56

From Pittsburgh
The home waters club - or whatever else it might be called currently - did lose it's lease on a small section of stream down by the town of yellow creek.
But I believe that they still control a section of it just below the FFO stretch. At least they did the last time I was out there in early march

Posted on: 2013/8/4 22:43

From Enola, Pa.

One of my favorite streams, to bad I haven't been there in a long time.

PaulG

Posted on: 2013/8/5 6:57

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com