Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Yellow Breeches Cumberland Co. 9/23/2012

From West Chester/State College
Just moved to the area and fishing the yellow breeches for the first time. Arrived to allenberry around 1pm and it was just too crowded for me. Tennis camps, picnics, other events going on down by the water. So I drove around for awhile until I found a small pull off on pine road - A ways up the river where it was significantly narrower. It was nice looking water. Not much going on topwater, so I went under with an olive scud and a small midge. I managed 3 browns and 1 rainbow in about an hour or so. However, all were under 6". I am looking to fish yellow breeches a lot more, so I would love any advise anyone is wiling to share. I assume there are some nice fish in the upper sections above boiling springs, but maybe I am wrong. I am looking for a few places that provide stream access and parking.

Thanks for all the help! Tight lines.

Posted on: 2012/9/24 20:22

Re: Yellow Breeches Cumberland Co. 9/23/2012
From Dallastown, PA
WC, get a map of the area at a local convenience store and look for roads that parallel or cross the breeches. There is a ton of access and the posted areas are well marked. Its a very popular stream.

You can fish it all the way down to New Cumberland but over winter the area from Route 34 (and just above) to Williams Grove are stocked by he YBAA. You should stop by their Nursery and get a membership, It will keep you in the loop with stockings and by going on a stocking you will find most of the access areas and where the fish are.

Welcome to paradise.

Posted on: 2012/9/24 22:17

From Gettysburg
^ Some good advice from Maurice.

Posted on: 2012/9/24 22:41

From West Chester/State College
Thanks for the tips, guys!

I did a bit of searching on the YBAA and wasn't able to find an address for the nursery. I've seen a hatchery at the most up stream section of the breeches, but assume the YBAA is somewhere else. Found a facebook page, but only a P.O BOX was listed. Sounds like a great opportunity to meet some local fisherman and get involved - exactly what I am looking for having just moved here. Let me know if you have any more info.

I'm gonna try to get out again this weekend. Work makes in tough to find any time to do what I truly love...fish.

Posted on: 2012/9/25 21:26

From Camp Hill
Sounds like you were at the the pfbc huntsdale hatchery. Here's info that should help.

http://www.boilingsprings.org/yellow- ... conservation-association/

Posted on: 2012/9/25 21:58

From Boiling Springs
Hi WC,

Welcome to PA fly fish and to the Boiling Springs area. I moved here about two years ago and have been slowly but steadily discovering new water in the area. There is a lot.

As for the area behind Allenberry, there can be a lot of activity there at times, but it is also loaded with fish. I've noticed when they are really biting that all the background noise fades away.

Anyhow, if your looking to head out this weekend, or whenever, and want a fishing partner for the day send me a PM.

Later,
Matt

Posted on: 2012/9/26 12:23

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
Send me a PM. I am a member of the YBAA. They meet on the first tuesday of the month. There is a meeting next week at 6:30 pm.
The nursery is near Allenberry off 174. Its sort of hidden but I can give you directions.

Posted on: 2012/9/26 18:48

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
121 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com