Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Yellow Breeches Creek (Allenberry) Cumberland County, 8/26/2013

From Fairfield, PA
Been a couple of weeks, but was there from 0900 to 1300 as usual. Water clear, speed and depth normal. I did not see fish one. None rising, none holding, none visible at all. Needless to say I didn't catch any either.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 15:37

Re: Yellow Breeches Creek (Allenberry) Cumberland County, 8/26/2013
From Gettysburg
Dang, that's strange. The reg water on Breeches has treated me very well this summer but I haven't been on the Allenberry stretch for a couple weeks. Sunny days like today can certainly make trout seem to vanish..... but to not see any at all is unusual.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 19:23

From Pittsburgh
They're all hiding below the little jack dam at Allenberry...maybe?

Posted on: 2013/8/26 21:07

From Fairfield, PA
I thought it was odd too. I know the spots were I normally see them, but na da. I fished blind a bit with no results. There were several others there as well and I saw no action from them either. Perhaps they were guarding their nests, in which case I would leave them alone anyway.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/8/26 21:49

From Fairfield, PA
Quote:
Dang, that's strange. The reg water on Breeches has treated me very well this summer but I haven't been on the Allenberry stretch for a couple weeks. Sunny days like today can certainly make trout seem to vanish..... but to not see any at all is unusual.

Question for ya, It has been a few years since I was on the YB (Allenberry) as I have said before. At the end of the C&R section, where it make a right hand turn, it seems more shallow then I remember. I use to be able to fish the left side (looking down stream), near the weeded bank and catch a few, but it is very low there now. I can also wade around the bend now, when in the past it was chest deep there. What has changed?

Posted on: 2013/8/27 8:09

From Gettysburg
Quote:

jbewley wrote:
What has changed?

The water flow, I think, has seen some subtle shift a bit in the last several years and some sediment has filled in along the sides. It's still a good spot. I've been fishing that spot since I was a kid (landed my first 20" trout there) and I don't think it has changed all that dramatically..... but maybe I haven't noticed as the change has occurred slowly. Other folks on this forum have pointed out these changes and complained about them, so you're not alone in noticing this.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 19:13

I've been there the last two Sundays for the white fly hatch. There are plenty of trout. It may be that the fish are so gorged from the brown drakes and white flies that they're able to resist day time fare.

There are no trout spawning at this time of the year, nor do trout guard their redds once they're done spawning.

I have noticed a big increase in the number of warm water fish in the slow water above the dam, though. In addition to trout, I'd guess I took at least 50 chubs and sunfish over the two evenings. Oh, and a keeper size small mouth. (Thought I had a really nice trout until I unhooked it.) Saw quite a few suckers and carp as well.

During the afternoons before the hatch, the trout were spooking if I got within 20 feet of them. And one sloppy cast would send them scattering as well.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 20:18

From Fairfield, PA
Thank you both for the response. Things seem to have changed, but perhaps it is just me and the passage of time. I will try it again next week as I like that section and have been successful there in the past. I do miss the fly fishermen only section of the Allenberry lounge, which has been gone for some time however.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 22:01

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com