Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Woodcock Creek, Crawford County 10/23/12

From Northwest PA
Fished Woodcock Creek after work today from 3-6:30....taking Streamerguy's advice I started off right below the bridge in the park...in the 10-15 mins I was there I got nothing and decided to check out the dam...there were a few guys here fishing with spin reel...no one with fly...struck out here as well and lost one fly from an underwater rock...wish I could have retrieved it but the water from the damn till past the drainage pipe is way too deep...at this point I was getting somewhat frustrated...I decided to hop back in the water and wade upstream...at a point above the bridge I got my first bite...but was unable to keep him on cause I didn't set the hook...one because I thought I snagged a rock or a leaf....and second because I was paranoid about getting caught in overhanging branches...tried under the bridge and again got nothing...at this point I felt like giving up...but I went back to my car to take a break and change up my flys ( after losing one or two in some brambles :/ )...I went with a cream colored glo bug and a san juan worm....I again headed upstream and noticed right after the bridge there were ripples, but right after the ripples was a nice sized hole...I decided to give this spot a try...casting right into the ripples and letting my line flow right into the middle of the hole..it turned out to be the perfect spot...first trout I got (which might be the biggest thus far) was within the ripples and gave a good fight taking the glo bug....the second was a little ways into the hole taking the san juan...since the limit is 3 and with fog starting to roll in I called it a night and packed these two into my cooler.. cant want for tomorrows feast :)

Attach file:

jpg  rainbow trout.jpg (144.12 KB)
6908_508739c9d2402.jpg 576X771 px

Posted on: 2012/10/23 21:05

Re: Woodcock Creek, Crawford County 10/23/12

From Ohio
Nice! When you say upstream, you mean in between the dam and the footbridge? If that's what you mean I never tried fishing it, too much brush to get hung up on lol.

Posted on: 2012/10/23 21:53

From Gamehendge
There's never to much brush to get hung up on. Practice rolls an bow an arrow casts. If you can cast from a prone position, there is less to get hung on.

Posted on: 2012/10/24 0:39

From Gamehendge
Nice eatin size bows tho!

Posted on: 2012/10/24 0:41

From York, PA
Phish_On,

Ever catch anything on that beautiful super light Orvis 4wt?

Posted on: 2012/10/24 0:59

From Northwest PA
streamerguy...I started going upstream in between the dam and the footbridge...but then I went beyond the footbridge and that is where I caught the trout...wish I took photos but my phone died while I was at work

Posted on: 2012/10/24 5:44

From Gamehendge
1wt

Yea, I have caught plenty of fish with it. It's stored in the quiver right now. Haven't been doin much fishing that requires a 8'6". Mostly fishing that requires a 6'6".

Posted on: 2012/10/24 9:51

From Ohio
Yeah, the hole/run(s) beyond(downstream) of the footbridge is what I was talking about in the pm I think. Thats the only section I caught trout in.

Phish, you're right. It's just that that sec. with all the brush doesn't have any holding water to make it worth it. But when there is good holding water I do everything I can to sneak in a cast..

Posted on: 2012/10/24 15:11

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com