Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: West Branch of Delaware River, PA/NY border. 6/26

From Pittsburgh
SN -

I hit really lousy weather when I was there in april. Lots of cold, wind, and even a little snow. 3 of the days I was there were pretty much just a waste of time.

Posted on: 2010/6/28 13:14

I was there in the sleet storm. Put the boat in at 191 and floated to Buck the temp only got to 41 that day. I was unprepared and only had a windbreaker / nearly froze. Fish were feeding and Hendricksons were hatching. My hands were too cold to tie flies on but did manage a few. It was super windy up there this spring. That's what ruined most of my trips along with poor timing so that I missed EVERY hatch. Oh well, next year.

Posted on: 2010/6/28 13:40

From Montgomery County
Good stuff. Looking forward to some good fishing on the D these next couple months.

Posted on: 2010/6/28 14:47

Give me a shout. If I can get loose, I'll go. I'm hoping that the fall fishing trip gets a good turnout and the weather is decent.

Posted on: 2010/6/28 15:44

From Cato, NY
Not to hijack the thread but me and a friend just returned from my camp on the west branch and we landed 42 fish in 3 full days on the West Branch. Sz. 18/20 sulphurs sz 22/24 olives and sz 22/24 midges were the ticket. The fish were extremely selective on the sulphurs. We had to use biot body slim profile comparaduns and match the color (orange and yellow). Also yellow biot abdomens and orange thorax colored sulphur spinners in the evening were deadly. Overall great fishing except the slime in the evenings.

Posted on: 2010/6/29 15:04

If you're fishing way up on the branch, the slime is a little worse. I don't think that I had to clean my fly off between Balls and Shehawken but when I went up to the 17 bridge, every 2 casts had slime on the fly.

They were being bast*rds about the sulphurs. I showed them 6 different patterns. They would follow, nose the fly or bail at the last second. The floating olive nymph I was using was getting slashed at or taken regularly. If I would have pulled my boat over and actually nymphed the riffs rather than drag my rig down as I floated through, I'm thinking I could have taken 30-40 fish. I had fish on every couple of minutes when I nymphed..... but I hate nymphing. LOL.

Posted on: 2010/6/29 16:03

From Cato, NY
My secret weapon on the West Branch this year has been frog's fanny. Especially when the slime is bad. The fish were very selective on the sulphurs and they wanted a high riding comparadun. I know it is an oxymoron because comparaduns ride low but I would apply the fanny every 3 or four casts and when the fly was riding high and drag free they would take. We tie them with yellow biots very sleek and they seem to work. Same idea with the spinner.

Everyone that floated past us told us how tough the fishing was on the sulphurs. I found you have to target one fish and pound the feeding lane over and over, to get a take. It was difficult to do with so many fish rising but it is a timing game and we had great success targeting one fish at a time.

We had some good success in the gamelands fishing midges and small olives in the morning and it was nice to fish without the slime.

Posted on: 2010/6/29 16:17

From Gunpowder River, MD
Is it slim or the snot? How bad is the didymo this year?

Posted on: 2010/6/29 17:58

From Cato, NY
Slime not snot. It comes from the reservoir. It has been bad in the upper west. Once you get to the gamelands its not a problem. If they would release some more water from the reservoir it would really help to move that stuff out of there.

Posted on: 2010/6/30 7:09

sun,

The "slime" is basically an algae. I can't tell you if it comes from low flows allowing it to grow along the river banks, if it forms in the spillway during low flows or if it comes from the shoeline in the lake and gets into the river. I can tell you that if it rains hard and the wind blows, it will send all of that algae over the dam and the river is a green mess for a while afterwards.

I don't think there's been any massive 'blooms' of didymo on the WB. I've seen it on the upper east and was told by a local guide that near Harvard it's completely covering the streambed and is 2-3" thick. That infestation is only over a short section of the stream though. My understanding is that the unusally warm water temps in the lower east and main river may have killed off much of the didymo in those areas. Can't say for sure, I'm not a biologist but I do play one on TV.

Posted on: 2010/6/30 10:52

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com