HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Valley Creek, Chester County, 3/19/2012

From Media Pa
Thanks Pcray. I will always take your thoughts and recommendations
into consideration given your results at last years Stocktoberfest measured against the results of the rest of us that fished that day

Posted on: 2012/3/21 12:34

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
I think the biggest difference is not in skill or tactics, but WHEN. I pretty much avoid it when it's low and clear. .

I'd yield to you on fishing advice on virtually every other topic I can imagine, but I have to disagree on this one. Is Valley harder when it is low and clear? Sure. Is it a waste of time? Absolutely not. My two best days in recent memory on Valley have come with low and clear water.

I'd agree, however that it isn't all about size.

In my opinion, what it really comes down to is tactics.

Posted on: 2012/3/21 12:36

From lancaster county
I think, if I understand Pat and how he fishes because it is what I did for years and years, if Valley is low and clear go somewhere with better conditions. The catching will be better for sure.

Real Estate - Location, Location, Location

Fishing/Catching - Location, Location, Location

Posted on: 2012/3/21 12:39

From Chadds Ford, PA
Who will be the first to tell him they are not "natives".

Posted on: 2012/3/21 12:55

lol
good one EP.

Posted on: 2012/3/21 13:05

From chester county
Agree w/ Pat here and +1 for BHHE's. I fly-fished valley seven times last year. That doesn't make me an expert by any means but it's enough to draw some conclusions. Best day last year was 20 fish, in muddy water. second best was 7, and the rest were 1-4. The 7 fish day was a bit odd because i caught 4 out of the same hole and otherwise I was heading for a 3-4 fish day. Luck played a part there, but the one really good day I had last year matches up with what Pat said about high water.

It seems like some of you guys put up good numbers by going to dry flies in clear water. I have not really tried that except for little foam ants in the warmer months.

Posted on: 2012/3/21 13:36

From Philadelphia, PA
I'm the worst dry fly and streamer fisherman in the world. Without nymphs, emergers and wet flies, I'd catch 2 fish per year.

Posted on: 2012/3/21 13:44

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Sal is essentially correct. I'm not a superb fishermen when it comes to on-stream skill. I have my strengths and weaknesses like anyone else. I very well may have gotten skunked alongside fade on the day and section he fished it. When I fish with others, I'm not one of these guys that always ends up with the most fish. Some people have mojo like that, I don't.

But, my average day on a given stream is very often better than the average day that others report on the same stream. Why? Because I'm cherry picking and dang proud of it! My goal is understanding. The more I understand, the better my chances at choosing the time and locations that will fish best given the conditions. And apparantly I've had some success at that.

Green, so you had some good days when you weren't expecting to? Great! Predictions aren't always right, I get em wrong too. But those highlight gaps in understanding. Figure out WHY the unexpected happened, and you've filled that gap, and perhaps can extrapolate the new understanding to other places and times. Thus increasing your odds of predicting those good days, rather than spending how many poor days to "luck" into one?

Posted on: 2012/3/21 13:47

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Green, so you had some good days when you weren't expecting to? Great! Predictions aren't always right, I get em wrong too. But those highlight gaps in understanding. Figure out WHY the unexpected happened, and you've filled that gap, and perhaps can extrapolate the new understanding to other places and times. Thus increasing your odds of predicting those good days, rather than spending how many poor days to "luck" into one?

Agreed and points well taken.

I just wanted to point out that I've fished other streams that I expect to get killed on when the water and sky are clear, but Valley isn't one of them. Like anywhere else, I expect somewhat tougher conditions, but I feel like the effects of low, clear water and sunny skies are felt less so on VC vs. many other streams.

But, then again, I could be totally full of it. Seriously.

Posted on: 2012/3/21 14:15

Well, for me, the flow rate is FAR more important on Valley than the average stream. Skies? Not so much. It's just that the fish are spooky, and the nature of VC is a lot of poor water with some amazing pools mixed in. When low and clear, the fish pod up in big schools at the bottom of those pools. And it's mostly nymphing, so to eliminate drag, you gotta get fairly close. Get close, and you're likely to spook at least 1 fish in the pod, which means you spook em all.

Strong flows spread out the fish. Many take up feeding lies in what was previously poor water. So the "pod" effect is gone. Heavier current and murky water gives you cover to get a little closer. Fishing becomes more successful.

Perhaps you have gotten very good at fishing it when it's low and clear, and I haven't. But the one thing I will say is that being able to time a hatch would definitely help in low, clear conditions. I've only seen risers in a handful of predictable pools, mostly frog water, which is tough even with dries. If you could time a hatch that brings em up throughout the stream, including the better pools, the ones with current, then you could fish from a lot further away and perhaps be more successful.

It certainly has enough fish.

Posted on: 2012/3/21 14:42

From Philadelphia, PA
I think the spookiness of VC's trout is overstated. I fish crouched down or on my knees on that stream 90% of the time, but that's mostly due to the size of the stream and clearness of the water rather than the spookiness of the fish. In those conditions, a giant shadow looming over the water would spook any fish. That said, they don't spook to lines and leaders most of the time, don't spook to rods and when rising, often won't spook to seemingly anything.

With the number of running trails and foot traffic near that stream, those fish see a ridiculous amount of people. I think this has made them a bit more accustomed to disturbances in their window than your typical trout.

If memory serves, you fish a lot of wild brook trout water. Don't you find the fish at VC considerably less spooky than those fish?

Posted on: 2012/3/21 14:54

From Media Pa
Quote:

englishprof wrote:
Who will be the first to tell him they are not "natives".

As usual that would be you Prof

Posted on: 2012/3/21 15:29

Quote:
Don't you find the fish at VC considerably less spooky than those fish?

I find em pretty spooky on VC.

However, it may have less to do with the nature of the fish themselves, and more to do with the water. VC is much slower than your typical brook trout stream. Fish in slow water are FAR harder to approach than fish in broken, fast water. And second, again, I only ever see rising fish in a spot here and there, it's mostly been a nymphing thing on VC for me, and nymphing requires you to get closer than dries do. With brookies its mostly dries.

I try to kneel and crawl, and I do it some, but I just don't keep up with it through a whole day like I used to. Bad back. I guess I do crouch quite a bit, though, and that funny looking "duck walk" while crouched.

There are trails, but not a ton of foot traffic. We may be talking about different areas, though. I've fished a couple of different parts of it, but I've yet to fish anywhere within the park.

Posted on: 2012/3/21 16:37

My log shows a tremendous sulphur hatch in the twilight some years ago. You could set your clock by it. One sultry august morning I scored on the same flying ants I saw in my driveway the evening before. What a gem.

Posted on: 2012/3/21 21:38

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
the fish are getting dumber or im becoming a better at fly fishing because i have yet to have a day when i got skunked at valley. i think it all due to this leak. but searously i have caught some my best fish on this stream in the past weeks. i have been putting alot of time on the water. also to you guys who are thinking about hitting it sometime this week you are limited to in the park. a ranger stopped to check me out. haha she totally wanted my CID#. but she said you cant fish past the yellow iron bridge.
caught two fish today nothing big by anymeans. one on a midge size 24 and other on a 22bwo.

Posted on: 2012/3/21 21:52

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Topic is Locked

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
82 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com