Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Valley Creek. Chester County. 11/30/12

From Chadds Ford, PA
Fished there today. Real tough going. Plenty of midges, but no rising fish. I hate midges, but guess I'll have to go small. Be there tomorrow, but upstream from where you guys were fishing.

Posted on: 2012/12/3 18:44

Spent a few hours on Valley this afternoon - Beautiful Day!

Water was 50ish, fish were rising all over the place, presumably to midges.

Still learning how to do the tiny invisible midge thing... after adding a caddis "indicator" fly I could see I was getting a comical amount of drag - loops of slack leader getting pulled every which way

Anyway, improved my drift, and certainly wasn't spooking fish because they rose right and left of my fly - but still something I am missing with tiny dries.

I suspect the tippet (7x) was visible because it was visibly distorting the surface film - perhaps sloppy floatant use? Is it common to clean tippet to make it sink so it disappears?

Had some better luck with a walt's worm in faster water, but not one of my better days.

Still great to see so many fish on the creek, and see them active.

Another cool thing was a bat came out around 4:30 and actually snagged bugs off the water surface, doing strafing runs like a miniature eagle.

Posted on: 2012/12/3 23:29

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
mikesl, Rarely is it "seeing" the tippet. I think you could have a rope on there, and if it weren't for drag, they'd still hit. Glue a few inches of some 1x to a real bug, toss it out there, and I bet it gets taken.

Could be the wrong size, that's easy to change. Could be the wrong part of the water column, maybe your natural is floating on top and the naturals are in the film, or vice versa?

Most likely, micro-drag. A little drag doesn't necessarily spook the fish, it just makes it look different than what they're eating, which is drag free.

Finer tippets can help with drag, though I never go below 7x. Lengthening the tippet, or using more supple material has the same effect. Play with the leader and tippet length, play with slack line casts. And part of it is accuracy. With such small bugs they focus on the smallest little current seams, and you gotta be in that seam with the fly doing exactly as the naturals. Invisible naturals make this task harder, about all you can do is guess what naturals are doing by bubbles and such.

Take heart, midge fishing is like this nomatter how good you are. You do get better, but "expert" still results in a lot more refusals than takes.

Posted on: 2012/12/4 10:58

Webmaster
Just a friendly reminder this forum is to post stream reports.

I believe in the sharing of information and if you don't believe in sharing that is okay too, but this is not the forum to get on your soapbox debate your beliefs.

Stream Report Forum Guidelines
"Please follow the guidelines for making a fly fishing stream report. Reports are for people to share objective information about their recent fly fishing experiences in the region.

Please understand if you do not follow the guidelines the Moderators without notice may modify or delete your report.

Things you should try to include: water conditions, weather conditions, stream, date, time, location, hatches, fishing successes, flies used and other pertinent information.

Things that will not work: not naming your stream or location, only boasting about fish caught, spin and bait fishing reports, any rants, questions, requests for a report, or guide reports. Please use the other forums. As always, no bullying or harassment of posters.

Thank you and please keep these useful for everyone."

Posted on: 2012/12/5 12:58

Point taken. If I knew how to edit a post I would separate out the newbie question form the stream-report part.

Posted on: 2012/12/5 13:45

From Ephrata, PA
Oh mike, no worries. DKile was addressing a series of posts that have been deleted, not your post. Your post, in my non-mod opinion, was appropriate.

Posted on: 2012/12/5 15:11

Webmaster
Mike,

The thread got cut at certain point because a few posts started heading in the wrong direction. Just want to make it clear for everyone stream reports are welcome here and discussions that pertain to that specific report as well.

Posted on: 2012/12/5 17:50

Fished Valley upstream from Bradford Rd.
wow , it got cold and windy in a hurry this afternoon.

Still, that did not stop the fish from rising for most of the afternoon.

I tried out some new #28 super small bead head midge emergers that I tied today. Pretty cool, I got about 10 refusals and no takes. Twice they moved my fly with their nose but did not eat it!!!

Very interesting.

I tied these with cream thread base with a dark brown thread as the rib and a dark bead. I used clear ice flash as a wing case.

Oh well, back to the vise tonight.

Posted on: 2012/12/5 19:29

From Chadds Ford, PA
Lion,

I fished the same section yesterday. Saw all of the midges, but no risers. Went to my favorite section upstream and still no risers, but did a little better up there on small nymphs. That damn stream seems more difficult this time of year.

Posted on: 2012/12/5 20:34

From Chadds Ford, PA
Lion,

Hell the hell did you get all of that material on a 28 hook? LOL.

Posted on: 2012/12/5 20:35

EnglishProf,

I have a huge lighted magnifier on my bench!!

Last year, I started fishing Valley Creek on 12/20/2011 and only saw microscopic midges hatching on most days..... I tried to catch a few bugs.... Almost impossible .... But managed to get a few in my hat one day... I started tying down to #32's. I found super small beads and incredibly thin gold wire, and started tying zebras, etc.

Lots if fun to tie on 7x on a cold afternoon.... But, really cool when a fish sips one out of the film!

Some days those fish can get very picky..... Always a challenge.

Looking forward to a fun winter, as I go into my second year on the stream. Fortunately, I kept a pretty detailed log last year and hope to benefit from the experience I gained last year.

See ya out there.

Posted on: 2012/12/6 7:52

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
Pretty cool, I got about 10 refusals and no takes. Twice they moved my fly with their nose but did not eat it!!!

Coolness.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was the going underneath that helped. You were on top before, they didn't even notice the thing and kept going like your fly didn't exist. Now you're underneath, and from a distance, it registered as food to the fish.

So one question solved. They are focusing on stuff under the surface, not on it. But something still isn't quite right, hence the refusals. Now, it's probably microdrag, or the fly is sitting wrong, or a color, or 1 size off, or something. Keep experimenting, you're closer now. Just as a warning, you've taken the low hanging fruit on this puzzle, and each step gets progressively tougher.

One thing I've noticed, is that if you can find em rising in a little more current, they're more likely to hit. I'm not saying not to try to finish off the puzzle in slow water. But an alternative thought is to fish faster water. When you're that close, the "exactness" standard is a little lower in faster water. Rises are a lot more difficult to see in a broken surface, though. They're there. You just have to look REALLY close, it's just shadows rising and falling, you may not see the ring on the surface.

Posted on: 2012/12/6 16:14

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
those are some great fish from that stream guys. I know a few spots where big fish hang I guess the trick is big fuzzy streamers. the bigger fish in that stream are some of the smartest I have come by.

marc

Posted on: 2012/12/6 23:02

Large BT in poor condition used to enter Valley from the Schuylkill on an annual basis, usually in late May or more often in June. They generally could not get past the dam on Valley. Their abundance was finally documented in June, 1995, when 35 ranging in lengths from 17-23 inches were collected within 321 m. of the dam's base.

Posted on: 2012/12/7 12:57

Ok. Cracked the code today!

Tied #22 tan emerger w/ extra fine gold wire rib , grey CDC wing, and olive dub for the head.

Fished in the park today. Found some nice fish consistently rising next to a log on the far bank.

Rain was on/off for most of the afternoon, water was still pretty clear.

Landed 2 nice ones, lost 5 others, and missed a bunch of others.

They were really diggin this fly. Fished on 5x casting down stream.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Fun on a 1wt... Fly used in pic.

Posted on: 2012/12/7 18:54

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com