Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Upper Lehigh River 9/11/13 Carbon County

From Mountain Top
Where: Upper Lehigh river below Thornhurst - Carbon County

When: arrived 6:15 AM - 9AM

Weather: slightly hazy, warm (70* when I got there and 75* when I left) no wind at all.

Water: temp- 67-68*

Water level/clarity: VERY low, the gauge at Stoddardsville says under 30 cfs - so that's about 1/2 what it should be this time of year. The water had some tannin brown color as one would expect on a Pocono stream but it was fairly clear due to the low water level.

Gear: Winston IM6 7'6" 3wt; Ross Evolution Reel, Rio gold line, 9ft maxim 5x leader with about a foot of trout hunter flouro 6x tippet

Bugs: when I arrived there was very little bug activity and no fish rising, obviously. I almost decided to move to the Tobyhanna a few miles away since the water was so low (but knew the Toby was likely just as low,). I took a temp measurement which reinforced my decision to stay... I checked the underside of some leaves along the bank and saw a few caddis (varying from about a 14 to a very small 26/28?) and as the morning progressed I also saw a handful of small olives (22-24ish), a few tiny cream midges (28-30ish?) and a couple of the Caddis fluttering around - the few bugs I did see were eagerly eaten by a few dragonflies who claimed the spot as their own.

Fishing: It was looking bleak, but decided to give it a go and put on a 14 elk hair/CDC tan caddis as a searching pattern, powdered up with some fletch dry to keep it riding high.

The fishing was tough -but between the low water and the lack of bug activity I hadn't set my expectations very high to begin with - I saw a few trout along the bank in one of the pools I had originally intended to fish, but there was a blue heron about 100 yards upstream and they were understandably skittish so I decided against fishing the pool in favor of some of the riffles/pocket water below. I followed a game trail below the riffles to get myself into position to fish upstream. I didn't see any game except for a busy woodchuck, a few songbirds, and I could hear a Woodpecker busy doing his thing -padadadadadadada... padadadadadada -every 20 minutes or so, and the aforementioned blue heron, of course.... there were also a number of small brilliantly white inchworms on some of the brush en route to the stream and plenty of Closed Gentians, one of my favorite late season flowers, which were proudly on display.

Once I got into position, I started casting upstream to the little pockets around some of the rocks in and just below the riffles, working my way upstream. I fooled about a dozen chubs, and early on I managed to catch a small 6 inch brown - but it's color was blander than I anticipated for this time of year and after taking a picture I revived and released him. It was basically chub city this morning. :/

Water level aside, it was beautiful out, though warmer than usual -suffice to say I won't be hitting the upper Lehigh until we get some more water..... but it was still nice to get out before work :)

I took a few pics of the stream and the brown and the Gentians too- trying to figure out how to reduce their size to meet the requirement for the forum. LOL.... I can fish half way decent, but I am CLUELESS when it comes to doing much on a computer. :)

Posted on: 2013/9/11 13:05

Edited by bwospinner on 2013/9/11 13:32:49

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
154 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com