Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: 7/24/10, Tulpehocken Crk, Berks Co, DH section

If I start at 4, I should be ok for the 1 hr before sunrise rule. Let me explain. Start to the creek at 4. Wade into position and make a cast at 4:15. At 4:16, go back to car and use headlights to cut tangle from end of rod. Re-rig with all new leader and tippet. Head back to stream and next cast is at 4:55. Perfect!

Posted on: 2010/7/26 13:07

From lancaster county
Ha! That probably be true for me too.

I use that website a good deal though. Its a nice resource when you want to fish trikes near state college and driving as far as I do. Can put you on the stream when you can first see if you time it right.

Posted on: 2010/7/26 13:15

From Montgomery County
Dude, it sounds like you're explaining yourself to a WCO on the first morning of deer season. You're fishing the Tully for trout for Gods sake :)

Posted on: 2010/7/26 14:08

From Eastern PA
Ya, I admit I was fishing DHALO section. I would love to run into the local WCO or one of the new gus so I can take him to the sections of the first 3 deflectors where the poachers are bait fishing all night long. They have lanterns on the bank and everything.

I am up for a 4 AM trip Sight, but that big boy is probably not going to be in his normal lane, at least theoretically anyway.

Posted on: 2010/7/26 15:50

Are you slandering the Tully? LMAO How dare you. If you polled 25 guys that were standing in that creek if they hated the Tully, 24 would say yes. That is the stream that people love to hate... including me. Hence the nickname "sewer". I'll be at the Tully, knee deep in carp and suckers next weekend. I'll be the guy trying to push 4x through the eye of a #28 trico because I forgot my other tippet. I don't have Tourette's but it will appear that I do.

I have an idea of where he lives and you know where that big rainbow lives. We have at least a 50% chance of nothing happening.

Posted on: 2010/7/26 15:51

From Eastern PA
Hey, that's where the night fishing comes in . . . no need for 4x and no worries about leader/tippet implosion . . . 25lb Maxima is real easy to untangle, even in the dark.

Posted on: 2010/7/26 15:55

From Southeast Pa
I was fishing the Tully on Sunday and saw plenty of rising fish between daybreak and 9:00 am. I caught one early and then proceeded to miss or break off about 12-15 .

I am still in my first year of fly fishing so this is not that unsusual. I just bought a new Cabela's LST rod and I like the way it casts but I am wondering if the fast action is the reason that I am breaking tippet . I have been using a moderate action up until this point and have not had near as many break offs .

I probably need to find a happy medium between setting the hook fast enough and yet not be to strong to break the tippet.

I was using 7x florocarbon and then switched to 6X and still broke a few off at the knot .

I am going back within the next few days. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will report back and let you all know how I make out.

I really do appreciate everyone on this board for the sound advise that I have received in the short time I have been here.

Thanks

Posted on: 2010/7/27 6:19

From lancaster county
Go to 5X mono and see if you break off as many. If the fish dont take.....go to 6X and so on.

Just as a general rule, always start at 5X when fishing that stream. See if that helps.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 6:54

From Berks County, PA
Wharfrat - I would stick with 6X. Thats all I use on the Tully this time of year. I use both floro and mono and both seem to work just fine. At times 5X will work as well based on water conditions.

Also when tying on tippet to leader be sure to wet both ends of the line before you synch the knot down. That floro tippet is rough on mono leaders and I found by wetting the two ends that seem to lessen the break off's.

Ron

Posted on: 2010/7/27 7:45

From West Lawn, PA
You may want to try the lower open water that early. Maybe not in the 23-24" class, but I know there is a least 1-2 in the 20" class below the mill dam.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 8:01

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
wharfrat,

Generally, flouro is less "stretchy" than mono. Stretch acts like a shock absorber. Thus mono should result in fewer break offs, that is, if your problem is simply taking the line beyond the breaking point.

But flouro has some other advantages. It doesn't degrade (which is an advantage for fishing, a disadvantage for the environment), doesn't abrade as easily, and typically has higher knot strength.

So the real question there is, WHERE and WHEN is your tippet breaking?

Go with 6x if you're fishing tricos or midges (or sometimes even micro caddis), 4x and 5x for most everything else on the Tully. Those fish aren't all that tippet shy, I've never found a need to go to 7x there. If you're still getting tons of refusals with 6x, its drag, just lengthen the tippet and adjust your cast. Even with 6x, you're gonna break off one here and there, but it shouldn't be anywhere near 50%.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 8:32

From Eastern PA
Wharfrat,
I believe that LST is one of the best value rods out there, especially at it's current sale price. I have a 9' 4wt LST that I use on occasion and really enjoy it. While it is a faster rod, it is not as fast as some of the other rods that I frequently use on the Tully. I use flourocarbon often as well and I agree that maybe where your problem is coming in.
1) Is your leader material mono? Mono to flouro connections can be difficult.
2) As pcray notes, flouro has very, very minimal stretch thus substantially reducing shock absorbency. That, along with the faster rod, could be an issue.
3) How long are your casts and how much slack do you have on the water? If you are making short casts, with little fly line out, with flouro, on a fast rod, with little slack in your leader . . . well it's going to take quite a bit of adjustment to compensate for that lack of "cushion".

If you would like to get together some time let me know.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 12:50

From Southeast Pa
Thanks to all for the advise

To answer Pcrays question-

I am breaking off at the knot when I set the hook.

To answer Jdaddy's questions:

I am using a mono leader and floro tippet.

The breakoffs were generally longer casts with plenty of fly line on the water.

Jdaddy , I would be glad to meet up some time . I want to learn all that I can . I have been fishing my whole life but Fly Fishing is like learning to ride a bike all over again.

I like your Avatar by the way. That would make a cool T-shirt.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 19:02

Re: Tulpehocken Crk, Berks Co, DH section, 7/24/2010

From Berks County, PA
Do you wet the two peices of line before tightning the knot? Like I said in my earlier post the floro is hard on mono and you could be fraying the line.

Ron

Posted on: 2010/7/27 20:40

Re: Tulpehocken Crk, Berks Co, DH section, 7/24/2010

F the tully.....

Posted on: 2010/7/27 23:34

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
121 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com