HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Tulpehocken Creek, Berks County?

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Quote:

wbranch wrote:
I was fishing, and catching, trout there in February so either fish were being stocked early (were they) or there was a heck of a great carry over from the 2011 season.

Were they Rainbows? If so, they likely could have been Fall 2011 DHALO stockers.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 7:47

Re: Tulpehocken Creek, Berks County?

From Montgomery County
Whatever the case, when I see the red slash on rainbows here in PA, it's often on good quality fish. I used to see it all the time in holdover stockies in Spring Creek. Some of the wild 'bows in Falling Springs have the slash as well.

I caught a 6 inch bow on Spring early this year or last... away from the hatcheries. If I wasn't in central PA I would have bet my house it was a wild cutbow. I've caught a few other what I believe are wild bows on Spring that didn't have the "cut"

Posted on: 2012/7/6 8:54

Re: Tulpehocken Creek, Berks County?, 7/3/2012

From Montgomery County
There was probably a very good holdover population throughout last summer. It was very wet and rather cool. I only recall a few weeks in late August? where the water dropped and warmed up. I didn't fish it, but some friends of mine did and it fished well through out the summer last year... even away from the cool tribs. They also spotted, but didn't catch a few very large browns eating tricos.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 9:01

"Blue Marsh is a flood control project managed by the Army Corps of Engineers. First priority is flood protection of downstream areas in particular the City of Reading. Second to that I think is probably maintaining an adequate pool depth for summer boating on Blue Marsh lake. I don't think the PAF&BC is in a position to dictate flows and ultimately, the lake doesn't have the volume of cold water needed to keep water temps optimal for trout through the summer."

Precisely, they are more interested in yutzs running around in pontoon boats on the lake than they are in the fishery below the dam, pretty disgraceful if ask me. I understand that the first priority is flood control, but it seems only fair to me that second place get split between the recreational activities. would it really create that much of a problem to release some cold water on real hot days so that the fish in the creek werent par boiled...?

Posted on: 2012/7/6 9:21

From State College PA
Is there a particular reason why you fished under those conditions?

Posted on: 2012/7/6 9:49

From Reading
What used to be the deep part of the lake is filled with sediment from the tribs flowing in. TCTU has been trying to stabilize stream banks of said tribs to decrease sediment in lake but the damage is done. Basically the lake is turning into a flat bottom. No place for cool water to last in the lake throughout the summer. It just isn't there. Until they drain and dredge trout will die during summer months. Don't hold your breath.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 10:00

The Tully DH Area was not stocked in Feb, 2012; it was stocked on March 6, 2012. If you did well fishing in February, most of the fish you were catching were probably from the fall (October), 2011 stocking of adult trout.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 12:24

From Ephrata, PA
I find that the Lower Tully fishes well from the October stocking the whole way through till the summer months.

I try to really read up on this stream before I go out this time of year. I trust what TCO has to say about it. If they say its too warm, I back off.

If, however, the fish are going to die anyway, what is the harm in going and harvesting?

Posted on: 2012/7/6 14:18

From Lancaster Co.
I think the time to harvest the trout from the Tully often coincides with the first Blue Marsh lake beach closing due to discovery of fecal choloform bacteria. Shrug.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 14:42

From Dauphin PA
I've seen hundreds of fish eaten by herons but never saw one go belly up from the heat. Then again, I usually stop fishing there by June 10th or so.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 19:54

From York & Starlight, PA
nymphmaniac wrote;

"Is there a particular reason why you fished under those conditions?"

I figured sooner or later someone would ask that - When I arrived it was by no means hot. I actually took off my short sleeve shirt and put on a long sleeved one. The water was comfortable but didn't appear too warm - but then I didn't have a thermometer.

By 6:00 a.m. many fish were rising, and eating, my offerings. The rainbows and browns to 12" fought with vigor and swam away easily when released.

The fish continued to feed very well until 11:00 a.m. Only the large browns, four to be exact, appeared to be stressed. They were much larger than I thought were found in the Tully. None under 17". The one that died came to the surface gulped some air and started to drift down stream. I got out of the water and walked swiftly down below it to intercept it. I lifted it out of the water but it was barely holding on, it's gill cover were opening very little. The gills were just pinkish. It died shortly after and I quit fishing.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 20:37

From Montgomery County
I've seen hundreds of fish eaten by herons but never saw one go belly up from the heat. Then again, I usually stop fishing there by June 10th or so.

Maybe not hundreds, buy my experience has been the same

Posted on: 2012/7/7 0:13

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
And Bald eagles!

Posted on: 2012/7/7 0:15

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Sinking Spring, PA
Rainbows and smaller brown trout appear to be ok. The larger browns appear to be stressed. Trico season = very light tippets = light weight fly rods = encounters with large brown trout that just last too long = stressed large brown trout.

Posted on: 2012/7/7 20:06

FCP: It is simpler than that. Large trout are typically the first to stress and die under warm water and/or lowered dissolved oxygen conditions, even without having been caught. This is precisely why a maximum size limit or a C&R reg. would be inappropriate on the Tully and other similar, warm DH Areas if the goal of such regs would be to produce more larger fish. The fish (large)that anglers would want to protect from harvest would be the first to die anyway and the population of large fish would annually slide backward to the summer carrying capacity of the stream's few thermal refugia, except perhaps during the occasional, cooler, wet summers that we experience. Population abundance at the end of the typical summer would be independent of the regs and dependent upon temperature and predation effects, ie no net gain in large trout.

Posted on: 2012/7/7 22:50

Edited by Mike on 2012/7/7 23:06:48

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
122 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com